New Rate-this-Logo feature, redesigned detail page

CC97

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let everyone know that over the past week I've been working on re-designing the logo detail page on SportsLogos.Net and I have launched it this afternoon.

Among the new features are a new "rate-this-logo" feature where you can rate any logo or uniform on the site on a scale from 1 to 10, one day - once we've received enough votes - we'll be able to rank the highest and lowest rated logos, uniforms globally, or by sport, or by year, anything. Also we'll now be trying to include as much information about the logo as possible, including the name of the firm or person who designed this logo, the date it was unveiled, and used for the first or last time.

There's also a new commenting system, you'll be able to post via your Facebook, Twitter or Yahoo! accounts and have the ability to Like the comments of others or flag comments which may be unsuitable for the site.

We've made navigation within a team a little easier, there will be links to other logos worn during the era of the logo you are viewing as well as a primary logo timeline on every logo detail page.

If you'd like to take a look you can check out one of the pages here: http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh or simply browse the site.

If you have any comments or suggestions, please share them here -- I hope everyone enjoys these changes.

Cheers,

Chris

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I like everything you've done with this new version. Listing the designer makes this a great resource, and maybe even better if you could link to the designer's current websites (if possible).

As long is it doesn't promote users like Panhead who felt it was their moral obligation to comment on absolutely everything, leading to flame wars that dragged over here, all it good.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I like it a lot Chris. It is cleaner and packed with information. I'll echo Jim's comment about linking to designer's websites. Maybe start a weekly blog where a designer discusses a particular logo they have done?

besides the commenting part, i think there should an "information box" somewhere around the logo/uniform/helmet/etc explaining the meaning, or inspiration for the said design. maybe it could be done Wiki style where a member (perhaps with a certain post count) could edit the information. just something there that would prevent "drive by critiques". people will no doubt unfairly judge a design on aesthetics alone, without know anything about it or seeing the branding or application the goes along with it.

i would also suggest that the voting system not be open to just anyone. they should be judged by designers and/or valued board members, otherwise the system is pointless.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

i would also suggest that the voting system not be open to just anyone. they should be judged by designers and/or valued board members, otherwise the system is pointless.

I would disagree that it's pointless by opening it up to everyone -- afterall, these logos are made for everybody and therefore everybody's opinion counts and everyone's opinion matters when it comes to judging them

---

Chris Creamer

That's a fantastic idea... as long as it applies to everything in the forums as well. For instance, you can't offer an opinion on baseball unless you actually played baseball. Only elected officials are allowed to comment on the political threads. No commenting on TV shows or movies unless you work at a movie studio or a TV station. Let's apply that idea to every topic of discussion or anything on which an opinion can be offered. Let's face it, none of us knows as much about say NFL football as an actual NFL player or coach does so the NFL thread is basically pointless right? :D

BB52Big.jpg

I have the boards link in my toolbar and on my phone, so I only go to the main page when I am at a relatives and I have to have a non-WiFi connection. I hope it lasts, but is not taken over from those who will ruin the totally subjective "sample pool".

Let's face it, none of us knows as much about say NFL football as an actual NFL player or coach does so the NFL thread is basically pointless right?

i see what you're saying and i understand Chris' point (having the voting system open to the target market) but if you wanted an opinion on Bill Walsh's offense wouldnt you rather listen to a guy who played in it than a fan who watched from the stands? my suggestion was to add some value to the ratings by having knowledgable and respected voters control it, and limit the popularity contest, and "drive-by" amateur critiques. this isnt simply a discussion (as the comment feature allows) but a system that could easily be seen/used for research in some topics because it does have value, as this is a respected site/board. the NFL Networks "top 10 uniforms" comes to mind. if i were putting that list together, this would be one of the first sites i would research

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Let's face it, none of us knows as much about say NFL football as an actual NFL player or coach does so the NFL thread is basically pointless right?

i see what you're saying and i understand Chris' point (having the voting system open to the target market) but if you wanted an opinion on Bill Walsh's offense wouldnt you rather listen to a guy who played in it than a fan who watched from the stands? my suggestion was to add some value to the ratings by having knowledgable and respected voters control it, and limit the popularity contest, and "drive-by" amateur critiques. this isnt simply a discussion (as the comment feature allows) but a system that could easily be seen/used for research in some topics because it does have value, as this is a respected site/board. the NFL Networks "top 10 uniforms" comes to mind. if i were putting that list together, this would be one of the first sites i would research

Well that does give an idea for a future feature on the site -- where we simply poll those in the industry and/or veteran members and list the results

---

Chris Creamer

if you wanted an opinion on Bill Walsh's offense wouldnt you rather listen to a guy who played in it than a fan who watched from the stands?

Not necessarily, depending on how concussed the former player is.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think the polls should be open to everyone. That way the rating will not only show professional opinion but as well general public opinion. Most of this board will agree that the OKC Thunder logo sucks, but Oklahoma City citizens proudly wear it and might be rather fond of it, therefore the logo would have a rating of 7/10.

Anyway, I do like the new layout and way it's organized.

One thing I think might add to the site is to make it slightly like wikipedia... In other words if people have a better version of a logo to upload it. Of course everything would have to be checked by you, or people assigned to particular leagues, but that way updating and improving the quality of some logos can be much quicker. Just a though though, nice update.

Most of this board will agree that the OKC Thunder logo sucks, but Oklahoma City citizens proudly wear it and might be rather fond of it, therefore the logo would have a rating of 7/10.

Those two points are not mutually exclusive. OKC citizens might just feel positive about the logo and identity because of what/where it represents, not for its aesthetic qualities.

Walk into any Lids and you will get the idea...you can find an orange Yankees or Red Sox hat. People wear them proudly for fashion. Doesn't mean those are good identities.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived