Superhero/Comic Book Idea

Ink

Ok so I'm in the process of creating a comic. It's an idea that I've had for a while now. And it needs some work especially the hands I just can't seem to get them looking right. The idea behind this is I wanted to make a dark type superhero. I'm not entirely set on the name (its so hard to find a name for a superhero that has not been used already) or the outfit of which he is in. It's just a draft of what he might look like.

darkling-2.png?t=1300488407

I know he kind of looks like guy from the show "the cape" but that was not intentional I started this process way before the show came out. Also im not sure where this topic belongs since it is a concept but not a sports concept so i put it here for now. If it needs to be moved then Mods feel free to move it to the proper place.

Thanks.

3535rx3.jpg

I think darkling sounds too cute, too close to darling... how about Darkness?

There's a superhero called The Darkness.

Coming up with a good superhero name is one of the hardest things about creating a new character. I've been writing/drawing comics for 8 years now, and superheroes are one area I've deliberately stayed away from, just because it's so hard coming up with an original idea. The 2 I've created, and am happy with, aren't even true heroes - they're more spoofs of traditional heroes (1 pulp-style, 1 grim & gritty 80s-style).

You can get away with having a similar-sounding name to an existing character, but only if the character itself is different enough...

you could call him "shadow". its kinda cheesey but i thaught id just throw it out

I don't think the Shadow would be a good name if you plan on making this comic idea into a franchise.

51QWAVSWAQL.jpg

didnt know about that

Those who saw it, try and forget it!

• 2 weeks later...

First, your guy is really generic. You need to practice art quite some time and take time to develop your idea. Trust me, most superheroes start out as "I know he looks like "___X___" and has the same powers and origin. But he's not really "___X___" " and then go from there. Once you've created and tossed out a ten ideas, you go back to your first and rebuild him into something interesting. The better you get as an artist the more any character you come up with will develop.

One of the best ways to create characters is to first make your perfect, flawless hero then create side characters to bounce off of him. Once you've done that get ride of the hero and just use the side characters, they are more interesting anyways. Your character's flaws are his greatest asset. The more in pain they are, the length they need to go to get healed / win their personal battles, the better off you are as a writer.

BTW, if you can't draw hands, your probably not going to make any headway. The big challenge in drawing comics is NOT drawing superheroes doing heroic things. It's drawing the normal scenes that make up 99 % of the story involved. Hands carry a great deal of expression.

4188560980_55e70654f8_z.jpg

These are a couple of old short stories I did. (Just to show you I'm not blowing smoke.)

http://www.darthbrooks.net/HardWired.html

http://www.darthbrooks.net/max.html

I know I have work to do before I'm at a skill level I'm happy with. If you're going to be stubborn and continue, then "Indigo" is not taken, you might try some variation on that.

his power will be this...

Ability to merge with, control, and draw power from darkness. The ability allows him to hide in and travel through shadows, as well as being able to create shadow-based monsters from the darkness.

3535rx3.jpg

Indigo is taken. Funny there's another creator on these boards ? my iPad comic launches in August.

Whats the name of it?

It's subject to change, but the working title is Champion. This has been in the works for several years (even before iPads were invented), so I've had to change the name of one of the main characters (as his codename was Avatar), as well as his costume and the title of the book.

Sigs are for sissies.

Indigo is taken. Funny there's another creator on these boards ? my iPad comic launches in August.

Whats the name of it?

It's subject to change, but the working title is Champion. This has been in the works for several years (even before iPads were invented), so I've had to change the name of one of the main characters (as his codename was Avatar), as well as his costume and the title of the book.

Sounds cool. Congrats

3535rx3.jpg

his power will be this...

Ability to merge with, control, and draw power from darkness. The ability allows him to hide in and travel through shadows, as well as being able to create shadow-based monsters from the darkness.

Midnighter's also taken. Hmm... How's about Charcoal, Styx, or Pluto? You could go old-school and add an 'o' to the end of an adjective and call him 'Nocturno'.

Sigs are for sissies.

Archived