Baseball Stirrups

hjwii

Other than robertmarshallart.com, does anyone know where to buy striped baseball stirrups?

I wore some last year when I coached lil league, and they were a big hit (we were the Indians, so I had old Indians red with blue and white stripes). But this year, I am apparently the Mariners, and I was figuring the Rays' socks would work well. You know, if I can find them....

Thanks for your help...

hjwii

Try Socks Rock.Oh, and why are you wearing a uniform to coach a Lil League team,is it required?

No.. no uniform for me... I just wear the cap and tshirt and shorts... with stirrups... (insert geek comment here)

And thanks for that Socks Rock site :grin:

Try Socks Rock.Oh, and why are you wearing a uniform to coach a Lil League team,is it required?

No.. no uniform for me... I just wear the cap and tshirt and shorts... with stirrups... (insert geek comment here)

socks rock is going to hit you for a minimum of 12 on a custom stirrup, just so you know. they get all their work done by twin city knitting, and they usually require a minimum, too. your mind can be eased about robert. most of us will tell you he comes highly recommended and he should be able to grab you what you need, most likely without ordering twelve pairs of the same sock for just one of you.

sig2024.png

socks rock is going to hit you for a minimum of 12 on a custom stirrup, just so you know. they get all their work done by twin city knitting, and they usually require a minimum, too. your mind can be eased about robert. most of us will tell you he comes highly recommended and he should be able to grab you what you need, most likely without ordering twelve pairs of the same sock for just one of you.

I got my pair from him last year. Very happy with them. But he doesn't have the pair I want...

is there any athletic/bio-mechanical reason to use stirrups in a uniform? or is it just decoration.

My understanding (and the baseball nuts can feel free to correct me) is that the wool socks used by teams of the late 19th century would get used and re-used for a few seasons. However, this was hard to do because the socks would wear out, especially in the toes and the heel. So, someone got the bright idea of cutting off the toe and heel to create the "stirrup", which would last for a few seasons with no problems, while the players would wear a "sanitary" underneath that was their own. It wouldn't take very long for some of these materials to stretch out (My set of stirrups have stretched an inch or two just from moderate usage), and so the high stirrups that we see more often became the norm. It had a purpose at one time, but is kept around out of tradition. Like jersey-laces in hockey, it's unique to the sport, shows heritage, and has no detriment to anything.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I thought it was because of the dyes used to color the socks back in the day. The dye they used to use was poisonous and could harm a player if he got cut or something and the dye got into his skin. So they wore the white sanitaries to have a layer of clothing between the colored sock and the skin.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived