The origin of the ampersand

nitroseed

Wow...I guess I am the only one who can write perfect-looking ampersands.

Of course, writing out the word "and" of the proper thing to do, but sometimes I need to write down the legal name of a business that uses one.

87Redskins.png

I made a conscious effort while taking notes in college to be able to make the ampersand a regular part of my writing (i.e. don't have to slow down to think about it while writing) as well as change the way I wrote the #2 to not have a loop at the bottom.

A few years later, it's all second nature. Once you get used to it you don't even realize you're doing it.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting info, I never knew that. I've been writing ampersands since grade school. My 4th grade teacher used to correct anyone who did the backwards three or inverted four and say "if you're going to be lazy, at least use the right symbol."

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

I just avoid talking about two things at once.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived