NBA Playoffs

Gregmond

With all the talk around Indiana sneaking into the playoffs with the sub-500 record (37-44 as I type), I have an idea that I would love to get your thoughts on.

I'm sure some of you would hate this but how about if an 8th-seeded team has a sub-500 record, and the 9th seeded team from the opposite conference has a record that is better than 41-41, the team from the other conference tales their place!

Based on the current standings are records, this year, Indiana would be replaced by Houston, who have already won 42 games and would be wild-carded into a seven game series against the Bulls. Sure it would mean that nine western teams would make the playoffs and only seven eastern teams ... but why should Indiana be rewarded for going 37-45?!

Lets say that the Rockets only went 41-41. In that case, both teams would retain their playoff spot as per the conference standings.

The draft and lottery would remain unchanged with all non playoff teams (excluding wildcards) going into the lottery. In our current example, Houston would be in the lottery and Indiana would not be. Harsh for Indiana ... but again, why reward mediocrity?!?!

Richmond.pngCanucks-1.png49ers-1.pngMariners-2.png

Thanks to Gobbi for the awesome buttons!

It has good intentions (letting better teams get into the playoffs over subpar teams). But I feel like it would be too confusing. I don't like the idea of teams in opposite conferences facing each other in the playoffs before the Finals. I guess I am a traditionalist in that sense.

And keep in mind that doing this could lead to a Finals where two teams from the same conference are playing each other. That just doesn't feel right to me; I don't think that should ever be able to happen. Like I said, this is an idea with good intentions, but I think there are a few weird unintended consequences that should be considered.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Crossovers suck in the minors and crossovers suck here too. The 9th place team in the other Conference doesn't stand much of a chance of making it to the finals in either Conference.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This would never be a good idea, but with the fact that a western conference team has a different schedule than an eastern conference team, it is harder to say how many wins a team would have in the other conference. So no, this should never happen.

Spam.

Notre casquette New Era magasin vend exclusivement des produits en ete, y compris toutes les marques de chapeaux, lunettes, tee-shirt, pantalons, BIKINI, flaneurs, etc, et le produit principal est le chapeau de la NEW ERA(couleur: bleu, blanc et noir).welcome o l ordre!

New Era casquette rockstar pourrait être le chapeau standard du Big League Baseball et au milieu des grands fabricants de chapeau de sport dans tout le monde. penser que 1920, New Era a longtemps été parmi les mondes des entreprises de premier chapeau, la production d'un produit d'excellente qualité élevée qui a transcendé par la méthode des années 90 + nombre de façon réellement modifier, social et de l'environnement casquette ralph lauren sportif.

Like Eye said, having an unbalanced schedule makes this unfair to have teams cross over. And having a team's playoff and lottery spot taken doesn't really make much sense.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Man, dayum...didn't we just go through this same mess with the NFL playoffs thread? And besides, it ain't like sub-.500 playoff teams is anything new in the NBA.

If anything, the NBA would do well to chop half the seeds off the playoff lot, from sixteen to eight.

(Or simply contract two or four teams. Or both.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The NBA first round is just a warmup for the top seeds. That would be fine if it didn't take a freaking month to complete it. No wonder people want to halve the playoff field and cut to the chase.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived