Eagles silver pants

Blue Falcon

I was flipping through a book called "The Pro Quarterback" by Murray Olderman, and saw some pics of YA Tittle of the Giants playing against the Eagles (this had to be between 1961 and 1964). The Eagles were wearing while jerseys and SILVER pants with no stripes.

I always thought the Eagles didn't bring in the silver pants until 1974, when they introduced the uniforms worn by Jaworski and Wilbert Montgomery. Every other pic I've seen of the Eagles in the 60s show them with white pants with two thin green stripes.

Can't find the photos online to post them, but the photos were taken by Walter Iooss or Walter Ioss.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Here, hope this helps your dilemma ... click below

Philadelphia Eagles uniform history

The Eagles have been a Philadelphia institution since 1933. That year, a syndicate headed by Bert Bell and Lud Wray purchased the former Frankford Yellowjackets franchise for $2,500. In 1941, a unique swap took place between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh in which the clubs traded home cities. Alexis Thompson became the Eagles' owner.

When Bert Bell established his NFL franchise in Philadelphia in 1933, the country was struggling to recover from the Great Depression. New president Franklin D. Roosevelt had introduced his “New Deal” program through the National Recovery Administration, which had the Eagle as its symbol. Since Bell hoped his franchise also was headed for a new deal, he picked Eagles as the team name.

This yellow jersey that you see is the first jersey the team wore. Notice the blue stripes which run from one sleeve cuff all the way up the arm, across the shoulders, and down the next arm. The numbers are small and placed high on the chest. Note also the helmet. It is very different than what we are used to seeing!

This jersey isn’t quite as flashy as the 1934 jersey we see on this poster. The colors have changed to black and grey, and not only on the jersey, but the helmet as well.

The team takes a different angle this year with the jerseys, changing the team colors to green and white. Notice how the player numbers are much bigger now, and how the stripes continue to run down the shoulders and arms. Note also the colors on the helmet have changed to match the jersey.

This white jersey is a nice change from the dark colored 1941 jersey. Notice how the helmet has also changed color to match the uniform.

This white jersey has green lettering on the front, while the stripes along the shoulders and arms are removed. Note the two green horizontal stripes on the arms. The helmet has changed slightly, adding a color where there was once white.

The team decides to stick with the basics as they remove all the stripes, and keep the same helmet as the previous season.

This green jersey hasn’t changed much since 1949, with exception to the numbering. Note the helmet: it is now all green, and matches the jersey.

This white jersey has adopted the green horizontal stripes on the arms once again, only this time adding white matching pants. Note the change of the helmet. They have added white eagles wings, as well as a safety bar.

This green jersey has replaced the white stripes with white player numbers. Note also the change of the mask on the helmet. The logo of eagles wings is also on the sides.

This green jersey adds once again the white stripes, however changing them slightly, adding them to the arms as well as around the shoulders. The player numbers, however, are still on the arms. The helmet changes slightly, changing the mask.

This jersey has abandoned the stripes, and added a black outline to the player numbers. Notice the helmet has changed the mask, and have changed to a white helmet, making the eagles wings green.

This white jersey, as you can see, has added more stripes than ever, with five green stripes and two grey stripes. The player numbers have been moved to the shoulder, and if you look closely, you’ll see that the collar of the jersey is also green. Note also the mask on the helmet is changed. The helmet is green, and the logo has changed, outlining the wings with white, and coloring it in with grey.

This white jersey, as you can see, now has short sleeves, with no stripes. The numbers are left on the shoulder, and have been outlined with black. If you look closely, a new eagle’s logo has been added to the arm of jersey. Note the mask on the helmet has changed.

If you look closely at this jersey, you will note a smaller patch the NFL shield on the jersey’s neckline. Most NFL uniforms added the NFL logo patch to the neck and upper left thigh of the pants beginning in 1991 - an exception being in 1994 when teams occasionally wore "throwback" uniforms celebrating the NFL's 75th anniversary.

Note the change of the color green. When asked why the color changed, owner Jeffrey Lurie stated that “our fans want us to look less like the Jets.”

Check out the new logo: the name Eagles on the front, and a new picture of an eagle on the sleeves.

The arms now have grey stripes at the edge. Note the changes of the helmet: the mask has changed, as well as the colour, and the eagles wings. If you look closely, you will also see an NFL patch on the back of the helmet.

If you look closely at this jersey, you will note a smaller patch the NFL shield on the jersey’s neckline. Most NFL uniforms added the NFL logo patch to the neck and upper left thigh of the pants beginning in 1991 - an exception being in 1994 when teams occasionally wore "throwback" uniforms celebrating the NFL's 75th anniversary.

Note the change of the mask on the helmet. This jersey is still green, although the color has changed throughout the years. The most recent change of color happened after the 1995 season.

When asked about the color change, owner Jeffrey Lurie stated that “our fans want us to look less like the Jets.” :D

This Eagles black jersey was first introduced in 2003 when the Eagles played the Giants in Week 11. It is virtually opposite in color scheme to their green home jerseys and was an immediate hit with fans.

This jersey is what is referred to nowadays as a “3rd jersey”. A 3rd jersey is a concept that became commonplace in baseball and hockey in the 1990’s, and in the 2000’s in the NFL. Most 3rd jerseys are worn occasionally at home as well as on the road, giving a team a third option as to what uniform to wear. And of course, the addition of a third jersey adds to the options fans can buy, thereby increasing apparel revenues and ultimately benefiting the team. More recently, baseball and hockey teams have begun adding 4th and even 5th jerseys to their roster of uniform possibilities, but this trend has not started in the NFL, nor is it likely to if for no other reason than the fact that the NFL season consists of only 16 regular season games vs baseball’s 162 and hockey’s 82.

That is a remarkably poorly written synopsis of the uniforms. Not that it's inaccurate, just poorly written. The part about the black jersey being "immediate hit with fans" is comically inaccurate though. It's not like it was hated, but I work in the stadium and every time they wore them I would just hear fans question why the hell they are wearing black and saying that it looks ugly.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That is a remarkably poorly written synopsis of the uniforms. Not that it's inaccurate, just poorly written. The part about the black jersey being "immediate hit with fans" is comically inaccurate though. It's not like it was hated, but I work in the stadium and every time they wore them I would just hear fans question why the hell they are wearing black and saying that it looks ugly.

What really throws me about the synopsis of the uniforms, is that it says nothing about pants which the original poster asked about. So if you're going to post something this long, AT LEAST, give the original poster what he asked about. Who cares about all the years, when the original poster asked about something specific. The rest of us would like to know if they wore silver before '74.

Yeah, those Maple Leaf Productions uniform histories are a noble attempty, but are woefully incomplete and inaccurate in many instances. Doesn't mention a thing about the silver pants, and Maple Leaf seems to disregard anything below the waist.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

What really throws me about the synopsis of the uniforms, is that it says nothing about pants which the original poster asked about. So if you're going to post something this long, AT LEAST, give the original poster what he asked about. Who cares about all the years, when the original poster asked about something specific. The rest of us would like to know if they wore silver before '74.

I only did a quick copy & paste from a website I have saved in my bookmarks.

At least now we all know that you speak 'for the rest of everyone else' :therock:

Archived