Texas Rangers 1972 throwbacks

DrAwesomeberry

I always dug this logo too:

1371_display_image.gif?1302490908

Does it make anybody else feel old when you saw "throwback" uniforms when the team actually wore them? I went to a Rangers game in 1973 and still have a pennant with that logo on it. :o

Like so many of the old team logos. Although not rendered as well as today's logos, this one had personality. Would be great if our pro leagues could get away from one size fits all logo style. We can be different and that's ok.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well part of it is that due to merchandising being so much more now than it was back in the '70s, the teams aren't designing their logos to market to little kids who they want to beg their parents to take them to games so that they can get a decent gate. They're designing so that their stuff looks good on the hoodie that the 22-year-old guy is going to buy, or the tank top that his hot girlfriend (or 30 lb overweight toothless slob of a girlfriend if they're in Pittsburgh) is going to buy. While those logos certainly have a sort of "charm" to them, there's no way that they'd translate well on to mainstream fashion pieces.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 3 weeks later...

Texas's old uniforms gave them a unique identity and I liked that. However, they weren't associated with success, so neither jersey means much historically. They need to do it on aesthetic basis and I believe they best uniform for that were the ones from the early 1990's.

I always dug this logo too:

1371_display_image.gif?1302490908

Does it make anybody else feel old when you saw "throwback" uniforms when the team actually wore them? I went to a Rangers game in 1973 and still have a pennant with that logo on it. :o

Like so many of the old team logos. Although not rendered as well as today's logos, this one had personality. Would be great if our pro leagues could get away from one size fits all logo style. We can be different and that's ok.

True story: In college, I dated the daughter of the guy who designed that logo.

[/imsureyoureallhappyforme]

From '01 to '08 this was their font

Rangersnob.gif

Standard MLB Block with a drop shadow on the number. They wisely kept the drop shadow off of the name. The black created possibly the worst hat in Texas Rangers history, however.

texas-rangers-royal-blue-black-brim-alternate-authentic-field-fitted-hat-3132084.jpg

This is their current font.

Rangersnewnob.gif

New custom font with drop shadow on both the name and the number. It makes the name illegible.

I had this in my files, shows it a little better

rangersfont.png

Archived