Shades of Navy in MLB

kevinmets

Much is made (on the concept board at least) of how many MLB teams use navy blue...

I recently noticed that there were (at least) 2 distinctly different shades being used: the Rays, Padres, and Brewers all use a lighter navy that actually looks blue, as opposed to the rest of the navy teams that use that "midnight" color which can be mistaken for black on a non-HD TV.

I figure there's a good chance there's more than these 2 variations... if any pantone nerds want to chime in now's your chance. B)

I almost had this whole thing done, hit the wrong key, and blew the whole thing away...

Anyway, here's a rundown of all of the variations of Navy used in the MLB - broken down by colors used for print, and the fabrics/textiles:

1. MLB Navy #1 (Atlanta Braves):

PLS_295_C_SRGB.png

2. MLB Navy #2 (Boston Red Sox, Cleveland Indians, Detroit Tigers, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, Minnesota Twins, New York Yankees, St. Louis Cardinals, Seattle Mariners):

PLS_289_C_SRGB.png

3. MLB Navy #3 (Milwaukee Brewers):

PLS_2767_C_SRGB.png

4. MLB Navy #4 (San Diego Padres, Tampa Bay Rays, Washington Nationals):

PLS_282_C_SRGB.png

Now, for the textiles...

1. MLB Navy #1 (Atlanta Braves):

PTX_19-4025_TCX_SRGB.png

2. MLB Navy #2 (Boston Red Sox, Detroit Tigers, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, New York Yankees, St. Louis Cardinals):

PTX_19-4023_TCX_SRGB.png

I should point out that every team using the above color calls their Navy "Midnight Navy".

3. MLB Navy #3 (Cleveland Indians, San Diego Padres, Tampa Bay Rays, Washington Nationals):

PTX_19-3935_TCX_SRGB.png

4. MLB Navy #4 (Milwaukee Brewers):

PTX_19-4013_TCX_SRGB.png

5. MLB Navy #5 (Minnesota Twins, Seattle Mariners):

PTX_19-4028_TCX_SRGB.png

These are official. However, what you see here may or may not apply to what is actually worn on the field. For example, I believe that the Brewers' textile Navy looks a lot lighter on TV than it does here. This doesn't take in consideration what colors New Era is using for caps.

All along I thought the Braves' navy was darker. I have the Braves road alt jersey & the Brewers home alt jersey, both in COOLBASE. The Braves jersey is darker that the Brewers jersey, and it's clearly noticeable. The Padres & TB practically wear royal by comparison when you hold them side-by-side with the Braves. That's on Majestic for not color-matching, but then again, they took 2 years to even get 1 shade of grey in COOLBASE, so I guess it's expected.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

That's a Majestic v. New Era issue. They make some strange decisions trying to match the teams' official colors to the standard color swatches.

It's not just navy - New Era has two shades of royal blue as well. Among other teams, the Brewers and Mets use one, the Dodgers and Royals use the other.

pMLB2-3537517dt.jpgpMLB2-3537583dt.jpg

pMLB2-3537495dt.jpgpMLB2-3536877dt.jpg

The MLB shop graphics aren't the best to illustrate this, with caps being photographed under different circumstances, but if you go into a team shop or Lids you can clearly see the various color groups.

Archived