PA Raiders Rebrand

chickenfish13

Hey Guys,

I've been wanting to do a hockey concept for awhile, but couldn't decide what organization to do it for. Somehow I ended up going with the Owen Sound Attack. I can't say I don't like the current identity, but there logo is a little abstract, and I wanted to solidify more of an identity. I feel like Attack is a pretty left-open name, so I looked up Owen Sound to see if I could go with something different than a bear. I read that early in it's history it was a major port city, and that because of this it got a little rowdy and there was lots of drinking and villainy ( thank wikipedia for that sentence ^_^ ) Anyways, this immediately made me think of Pirates. I thought that Pirates could be relatable to Attack, so i went with that. It might be a bit of a stretch, but it's creative.

I'm showing you guys this at a somewhat early stage. I'd hope that the Primary is only a couple tweaks away from being good, but I'm sure it's possible there could be a glaring weakness. There is no secondary/shoulder patch, but I'd like to get one done. The jersey is the earliest right now... I've got an idea but it needs some work. Also, before someone else mentions it, It might look a little like Davidson's Pirates, or GFB's Buccaneers. I'll agree there are similarities, but I used actual skulls as well as some pictures of skull and crossbones as reference, not there logos. There was definitely some inspiration from those 2 pieces though. Also, there are some similarities between my logo and the Bradenton marauders logo, mainly the hat. Honestly now that I think about it there very similar, may have to change the hat around.

The Primary is a skull with a Pirate Captain Hat. I had some huge problems with getting the teeth right, so let me know what you think there. Not sure about the Gold Tooth, I threw it in there to represent there one Memorial Cup championship, it might look better if they had won a couple more :P. Like I said im pretty happy with this, and hope it's close to being done.

The jersey is something different. I generally just do simple stripe pattern jerseys, but I wanted to try something a little more out of the box. I'm happy with what I've got so far, but lots of you will either like it, or flat out think it sucks. Right now the back is far from done, I don't really like where the piping overlaps the yoke, looks a little weird. Also, the letter and number font is just the Sens current, I'm looking for a suitable, pirate themed one, but haven't found anything I think would look good on the back of a jersey. I don't know about the white on the jersey, I tried working it into the shoulders but couldn't get a good placement, and I thought the hem looked a little bare with just the black and yellow. Also, there's no numbers on the shoulders right now, I'll admit I got a bit lazy and just wanted to get this out to you guys.

Anyways, hopefully you guys like it, I put a lot of work into it so it would be nice to get some c and c.

Thanks Guys!

owensoundprimary.png

owensoundjersey.png

Decided the pirate theme for attack was a bit much, so scroll down for the PA Raiders Updates

my favorite part is the tooth. great touch. i would make the tooth 2nd from the right, the gold tooth though. its a very symmetrical logo, but the black stroke in the bandana makes the left side visually heavier. giving more weight to the right side by moving the gold tooth would balance it out nicely. (dark colored objects appear to weigh more than light colored objects)

i love teh design of the jersey and how the shoulders reflect the lines of the hat. the numbers appear to be an after thought though. you have all the strokes through the logo and jersey but the numbers and name are plain white. they need more attention. in the very least, a bolder font and colored yellow. i dont think you need the stripes on the bottom of the jersey either. it dosnt really add anything, so take it away

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Thanks for the c and c, quick note about the numbers like I mentioned I'm still looking for a good font so I didn't put in really any after. In hindsight I probably shouldn't even of put numbers on ^_^ .

Glad you like the tooth, wasn't so sure about it but I wanted to put in my own kind of hidden meaning thing. I didn't really know which one to make gold, and what your saying makes sense so I think I'll have to do that.

The rendering looks very nice, you're defiantely got the skull down pat. The idea BrandN has to swap the tooth placement would probably help, too, it's just one of those little nitpicks that could just look more pleasing to the eye.

My only real nitpick is the name. The idea of a pirate theme for the nickname "Attack" doesn't really work unless you go with a pirate-ship/pirates-of-the-carribean type deal with exploding cannons and swordfights; stuff like that would probably fit the name more appropriately. Right now, this is shaping up to be a nice Milwaukee Admirals concept.

The uniform so far looks alright. The swooping curves accentuate the curves of the logo very well, however the triple stripe at the bottom doesn't make much sense (unless you add some of that same black-white-black striping to the sleeves or something). I'd also thin out the yellow piping, it just seems obnoxious right now and is fighting with the black detail rather than serving itself as an accent. I actually really like the number font, very piratey.

Great work, c-fish. The logo on its own is quite impressive, but the uniforms and the whole "idea" could use some refining.

Love the presentation by the way.

Nice concept. It was really risky rebranding the Attack logo like this. I think this logo could also work for the Prince Albert Raiders of the WHL. I would like to see you continuing creating rebranding concepts for other CHL teams. BTW, the Owen Sound Attack didn't win the Memorial Cup (at least not as the Attack, the franchise won as the Guelph Platers in 1986).

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

That's an extremely solid logo, really great work on that. I really like the little touches like the hockey sticks acting like a skull and crossed bones and also the gold tooth, I find it makes the boldness of the logo come off as really professional and appealing overall. The teeth are fine so no need to worry about that really. It's good the colours remained the same as it'd be easy to adapt to and also seems very appropriate for a pirate based concept.

Uniform wise I'd probably reconsider the design somewhat, I don't think shoulder yoke looks good as I find it takes a lot of my attention to it and not the rest of the jersey. I'd probably add some stripes to the arms at the elbow area that match the same striping pattern as the base of the front. Keeping the yellow lines and outline of the shoulder yoke may not be a bad idea and could work out possibly. For numbers and letters I'm thinking something wider but fairly clean and simple, I can't really suggest anything though beyond that. One minor thing is the red of the jersey, seems odd to look at, but otherwise is fine and works. I think it's just that black shoulder yoke.

Alternate logo I'd probably go for a sword of some sorts, make it look like it's giving a swipe without any animation lines. Possibly maybe an 'OS' patch with the 'S' hooking through the bottom of the 'O' or something.

Great work overall.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

The rendering looks very nice, you're defiantely got the skull down pat. The idea BrandN has to swap the tooth placement would probably help, too, it's just one of those little nitpicks that could just look more pleasing to the eye.

My only real nitpick is the name. The idea of a pirate theme for the nickname "Attack" doesn't really work unless you go with a pirate-ship/pirates-of-the-carribean type deal with exploding cannons and swordfights; stuff like that would probably fit the name more appropriately. Right now, this is shaping up to be a nice Milwaukee Admirals concept.

The uniform so far looks alright. The swooping curves accentuate the curves of the logo very well, however the triple stripe at the bottom doesn't make much sense (unless you add some of that same black-white-black striping to the sleeves or something). I'd also thin out the yellow piping, it just seems obnoxious right now and is fighting with the black detail rather than serving itself as an accent. I actually really like the number font, very piratey.

Great work, c-fish. The logo on its own is quite impressive, but the uniforms and the whole "idea" could use some refining.

Love the presentation by the way.

Thanks for the c and c, I tried working in some white on the sleeves but didn't really know how to work it out. I may try something different with the hem in an update.

Nice concept. It was really risky rebranding the Attack logo like this. I think this logo could also work for the Prince Albert Raiders of the WHL. I would like to see you continuing creating rebranding concepts for other CHL teams. BTW, the Owen Sound Attack didn't win the Memorial Cup (at least not as the Attack, the franchise won as the Guelph Platers in 1986).

Thanks for catching that, I meant to put league championship! I watched the Memorial Cup this year so I definitely should've noticed that ^_^

Also, both of you aren't sure about the name Attack and I get that. CJ, I know what you mean about the logo not really evoking any action, which came through my mind when I was just going with the skull. I think I may switch it to a PA Raiders concept like Chrysler suggested, but unfortunately that means a color change.

Anyways thanks guys, keep the c and c coming.

C-fish... you are really improving at a rapid pace.

However, if I'm going to nitpick this logo, I'm going to tell you that this logo is somewhat dull. I don't know a better way to put this... but its lacking something to hold my interest in the logo. When you look at most sports logos, there is usually some element of exaggeration (some like to call it "artistic license") in the logo. When you say that you used real skulls as a resource, I fully believe you. However, it is completely ok to make deviations from what is natural in terms of artistic license to help create a logo that is in itself a piece of art. For example, look at this logo by Fraser:

Cougars_3.png

Now, while Fraser probably started out with pictures and other drawings of cougars, he deviated from them in terms of the visibility and thickness of the teeth, the proportion of the facial features, etc... These changes do not make it more realistic, but they do add interest and benefit the logo as a whole.

I'm sure this isn't groundbreaking news to you, as you've been here long enough to realize this on your own... But it's something I would try to work on if I were you. Please don't take this post wrong, as it was intended to benefit you as a designer...

No Problem, I get what your saying. Once I decided I was going in a Pirate direction, I decided to go with a head on skull either wearing a bandana or pirate hat. And the one negative thing I thought about that was that it's really hard to get something interesting from a head on point of view of a face. I think you did it in your Buccaneers logo with the dramatic swoops and curves, and Fraser did it in his by making the facial expression really exceptional, but I didn't want to copy either and I'm not at your level to create something like that to hold the attention quite yet. I'll definitely try and incorporate that into future designs though, thanks for the well thought out post. Any ideas of how I can include it here in a new way?

Also, thanks for saying I've improved, I've been trying to really work on things before posting, and I've just taken a lot of inspiration from other quality designers, such as yourself.

OK, here are the updates, in Prince Albert Raiders form. Luckily, there color scheme includes yellow/gold, and they've also won one league championship, so the tooth stays how it is. I switched the tooth to the 2nd from the right, and I think it does balance it more like you guys said. The only thing on the primary i'm not sure about is the hat. I was using the Bradenton Marauders logo as a reference originally, and without really thinking about it I think I kind of ripped it off. I've got the red highlight at the front, the crossed sticks instead of bats, and then the red highlight throughout the hat. Now, they aren't exactly the same, but kind of close. I originally had an A for attack instead of the crossed sticks, but i think the crossed sticks look a lot better. Anyways, i know it's just a concept, but I still don't want to be stealing someone's work, so please let me know what you think

For the jerseys, I shrunk the piping ( maybe too thin now? ), and I added in the letters, just keeping the Sens font for now. There current numbers are white outlined in yellow so I thought I'd stick with that. I also took out the white stripe at the hem.

So keep the c and c coming, what do you think?

PAraiders.png

PAraidersjersey.png

Archived