I bought an American Needle Pirates hat

hormone

I was browsing at the mall the other day and they had a fashion cap of the pirates. It was a Nike Flex fit hat gray with a black brim/P like they wore on the road for a while in the 90's. It didn't fit so I went home and got on the MLB shop. I purchased this hat http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2208349&cp=1452363.1452860.1168847 I was a little nervous because 5950s do not fit me well at all (3930s are a dream come true). My questions are this...

1. If this is an "exact replica" of what was worn, why is there no MLB logo on the back of the hat?

2. If this is an "exact replica" Why does this not fit like a 5950 New Era?

3. Is this a mistake in the inside tag? Pirates 1994 road cap inside It is the old Phillies logo on the tag.

It's not like I'm really upset or think I've been ebayed here. I know it's not being sold as the real deal. I just wondered about this because this is my first dealings with American Needle.

Thanks!

EDIT: Link works and I just noticed that it says HOME too

KISSwall09.jpg

Well for one thing, they didn't wear the gray caps until the redesign in '97, so that's one thing that's wrong here.

Yes, it should have the MLB logo on the back... but if it's not a New Era anyway, then it's not really "authentic" (for lack of a better word) so I wouldn't expect that to be there. Either way, it looks like a pretty good replica, so I wouldn't worry about it, because - like you said, you knew you weren't getting the 100% real deal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

American Needle are by far my favorite caps. It has a solid crown which is much lower than the 5950 but still gives a respectable look unlike the low profile 5950s. All American Needle caps have the same fit. They aren't tailored as they were in the era they were worn. My 1926 White Sox cap is exactly the same fit as my 59, 71, 83 and 87 caps. I imagine NE has it in their contract that they are the only company allowed to put the MLB logo on the back of caps.

If you want a more authentic fit, NE is now making this cap again. However, it considered a fashion cap and has the NE logo on the side. Also, the MLB logo for some reason is yellow then gray. The Pirates wore is black then red.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

All American Needle caps have the same fit. They aren't tailored as they were in the era they were worn.

And that's what I hate about AN caps. They're all rock-solid with the same height.

As bad as New Era's caps are, at least you can remove the backing and customize a nice soft crown cap. With AN you're stuck with the concrete fronts.

So I'll repeat myself - they didn't introduce that cap until '07. Why would their own site be so innacurate?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived