New Syracuse Orange (not Orangemen anymore) Logo

CapCityDevil

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My mother is an SU alum and regularly recieves the university magazine. A few years back there was an extensive article on the school's various identities over the years. This came out shortly after the school's failed attempt at changing their name from the Orangemen to The Pack (no joke...they had a logo and everything). Aparently the school has had identity issues since pressure from the local Onandoga nation forced them to discontinue indentifying themselves as the Saltine Warriors (these are the same individuals responsable for the AAA baseball Syracuse Chiefs changing their name to the Syracuse Skychiefs).

Syracuse then went through several other identities but nothing stuck (this included the Spartans and the Beast from the East). In the midst of all the constant change the only thing that remained constant was the color of the uniforms: orange. As a result Syracuse simply became known as the Orangemen. So the change from Orangemen to Orange is simply an evolution of a compromise. Its worth pointing out that by making the change Syracuse joins Harvard (Crimsons), Sanford (also Cromsons), Cornell (Big Red) and the University of Chicago (Maroons) as a university with a color for its athletic identity(I'm sure there are more).

Dartmouth Mean Green comes to mind as does the Stanford Cardinal.

Yawn - not very unique. I've seen a lot better stuff designed by you guys.

It's simple and all, but not distinctive; too close to OU's interlocking letters.

Ho hum, another boring logo.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

For comparison sake:

Syracuse U. Colors (???? through 2004):

ORANGE (172 C)

BLUE (288 C)

Syracuse U. Colors (2004 through present):

ORANGE (1665 C)

BLUE (282 C)

Colleges post this kind of information on the internet all the time (where do you think I got these from?), so I don't think it's a problem listing the Pantones.

So Big Chief Bill Orange was a hoax? Who knew? Also, let's ponder the Varsity Blues of the University of Toronto up in Canada, eh?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Now that I've given it some time to sink in and grow on me, I'm starting to feel the new identity.

It was a huge shock for sure, but now that I've seen it a bit in print, it kinda looks a bit badass...definitely distinctive. I wasn't nuts about Orangemen (definitiely not Orangewomen) to begin with, but I wish they'd asked or polled us beforehand.

It is surreal, especially because the Lacrosse team is still active.

Lets Go Orangemen!

So Big Chief Bill Orange was a hoax?  Who knew?  Also, let's ponder the Varsity Blues of the University of Toronto up in Canada, eh?

Good question. I don't we even have a mascot! and their football team? I think they only won ONE game in the last four years in which I attended.)

I saw, I came, I left.

This article talks about changes to the football jerseys

Chris McClure, creative director for Nike Team Sports, is pitching a retro look for new Syracuse football uniforms. He envisions a return to what he calls the Jim Brown-esque days, when the Syracuse football jersey was orange with navy numbers or white with navy and orange accents.

It's a clean, simple silhouette McClure would like to see the Syracuse football team wear again. He thinks it's perfect for the feel and presentation Nike is pitching with its makeover of the school's athletic look.

"We're not talking in the realm of Miami, where the (makeover) was overly progressive," McClure said of a recent Nike redesign. "It doesn't fit the school. Syracuse has a tradition. You want that collegiate feel but refined."

This is the old style referenced:

45156.jpg

im always surprised with the negativity with every thread. cant wait to actually read a positive thread. as a graphic designer, i understand the need for consistency, and although i am NOT a fan of the new logo (the old stylized S was more original) dont underestimate the work that went into this.

that being said, i am glad that if they wanted to change the name, they changed it to Orange. its not that bad, and it could have been worse (the Red Storm) is the worst name/logo in all of college sports).

also, i dont think its that bad that an educational institution is taking the initative to change something that THEY might not be comfortable with. yes PC is getting out of hand, but for an educational institution, it makes sense.

also, when they were referring to being the only school with orange as their color, what i think they meant by that is that orange is the only color listed i believe as their official color, rather than tennessee and texas which lists white (i believe).

and as for the netherlands athletic uniforms, they are orange only because of the royal families last name, and has nothing to do with protestants, or irish, or both.

i will also be very very sad to see the fuzzy orange mascot go. great college mascot.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd revive this, as the new logo has made its first appearance on an SU uniform, gracing the helmets of the 2004 NCAA LACROSSE CHAMPIONS (YEAH BABY!! :hockeysmiley: ) this weekend:

capt.bar10205312005.ncaa_div_i_lacrosse_navy_syracuse_bar102.jpg

The jerseys are only a little bit different, as they used a royal blue earlier in the season (before the change...color inconsistencies like this were one of the reasons for it) and they hadn't previously used an all-orange combination to the best of my knowledge, but, from what I could tell, the logo on the sleeve is the old one and the AD had previously said that every jersey would be revamped.

Another development was the AD's announcement that the unveiling was made prematurely. The announcement of the new name and logo was to be made this fall with students and alumni present, but the AD was forced to act preemptively when the news leaked to the media.

Hmmm I do remember that. I think I've seen it somewhere before. The old helmet looks better. They could have kept the white ones and made the new logo larger in blue w/ an orange outline

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Archived