The Metropolitans.........still with black...be gentle

TheFloridianLogoMan

I have a long way to go before I can participate in Fantasy Football this time next year, so here's another small concept.

I was reading the 2012 MLB Logos thread about the new "Los Mets", when on page 90, I came across this comment by Ryoma:

I think the(Mets) problem is that they can't commit to a look - they want to be both blue/orange AND blue/orange/black. I'd be happy if they went in either direction but honestly the Mets could reasonably do blue/orange/black if they REALLY committed to it.

For the record, My perfered Mets identity is with NO black, whatsoever. This is what I really wanna see....

idealmetslook.png

But, the challenge I want to undertake in the following is to try and make the black work....NOT black for black's sake, but for identity's sake....in other words, I'd pretend the Mets' brass held a gun to my head and told me that I MUST have black in there, even if it's against every fan's will.

So....I started this out with a vision that black must only be a THIRD color....btw, I'd also look at it as a fitting tribute to the old Giants, if that's makes more sense than BFBS.

I then began looking at the icnic skyline logo, thinking I could use the black to give it more detail. Using a 3d image of the logoI found online, I came up with this idea....

nymconceptlogo.png

Giving it a much sharper look in my view.

The cap is still blue with an orange NY in there....

nymconceptcap.png

...but now, the NY is outlined in black. Yea, it won't be seen very easily, but in my view, the black is a nod to the old Giants more than anything.

Now....drumrool....UNIFORMS!

Yes, there's black....but no, it's not in drop-shadow form....

nymconcepthm.pngnymconceptrd.png

nymconceptalt.pngnymconceptpin.png

...nope.....instead, on the main uniforms, the scripts and numerals are traced by a thin black outline....the most black you'd see is on the alternate uniform, where it's outlined in black first, then a thin white outline follows.

Look forward (or not) to your thoughts on this. I hope I made the black tolerable.....but again, I'd rather have no black at all.

The one problem I see right away is that you added shadowing to the logo, but eliminated shadowing from the rest of the uniform. It's nothing too major, but it stood out.

I really didn't like the drop shadow that they use on the uniforms now......it's too much black for my taste, so I thought by outlining it, the black would stay, but to a lesser extent. I could've done the same thing to the logo, but I believe the shadowing would make the logo "pop" out more than just outlining the skyline and script in black, thus, the shadowing was added to the logo, but taken off the kits. It might not seem to match well, but refer to the old Twins logo and unis to see how that had shadowing on the main mark, but none anywhere else.

You know, you actually did a good job incorporating black into the Mets. My only suggestion would be to make the blue into a lighter royal color (Dodgers nod?) just to add a bit more contrast between the blue and black.

TDZiMMB.png

All the ideas here are solid, as much as many of us would like to see the Mets drop black, the fact is they won't. It sells, and in reading discussions about the "Los Mets" jerseys on Mets sites (and not on uniform-purist sites like this one), the black is generally popular. (Then again, Lady Gaga is popular, popular seldom equates to good.)

A lot of Mets fans take issue with how bright the current shade of blue is, in comparison to their original blue. The reason for that, obviously, is for contrast with the black. That's the biggest problem with your set right now - navy blue and black are too similar.

I've wondered what an extra black outline would look like, as opposed to the black drop shadow. It's certainly a good idea, but actually seeing it, I'm not crazy about it.

Jimmy, Kevin, and a few others pointed out that the blue was a little too dark.....I did NOT intend for the Mets to use Navy; I wantd them to keep royal blue as their main color. So, for further observers, I lightened the blue to distinguish it from navy so that there's no more confusion.

Looks so much better. I would definitely be ok with the Mets doing this (if they HAD to keep black in a change).

Archived