Cardinal Logo (in motion)

aawagner011

Hey everyone,

I'm back with another logo attempt. If you've been following me, you'll know that this is only my second ever attempt at a logo. You may have seen my first design HERE. I was thoroughly pleased with the way that design progressed and I'm proud of my end result.

Today I'll throw my next attempt up here. It's a cardinal, but not quite in the usual "face" shape you've seen like the AZ Cardinals or Louisville. I wanted to give it a bit of a more distinctive posture than the typical cardinal design. Anyways, I'll skip the descriptions and let the design do the talking.

Let me know what you all think and what I should do or alter. Always willing to listen and tweak. After all, it made my last design much better!

Cheers,

Andrew

Cardinal1.png

UPDATE v2

Cardinal2.png

Not bad, but the bird looks like he's squinting/in pain. The face is really "tight" if you know what I mean. Also, I'd try to make the tail look more feather-like; right now the tail looks kind of like a bird version of the Buffaslug. This has a lot of potential, though.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Basically it looks like he is holding it in until he can reach the crapper. Its scrunched up. Besides that I echo the sentiment of the buffa-slug, but not in the shape sense. It just seems unfinished right now.

Hmm..maybe I should look into expanding the face more into the actual body of the bird. Enlarging and repositioning certain pieces to give it a better feeling of balance and space? Maybe integrating more of a defined wing instead of an implied one?

The face looks very "squeezed", or "pinched". The eyes look like they're squinting and the beak looks like it's at an unnatural angle. I recommend fixing the eye and putting the beak at less of an angle. As for the tail, I'm no graphic designer so I wouldn't know how to fix that, but I have a suggestion of a way to change it. Look at the cardinal tail:

3536504607_4240cd8ec2.jpg

It gets longer the farther out because of the feather "layers". Maybe add those feather "lines" to "cut into" the tail. And I just realized: the birdie needs wings!

The face looks very "squeezed", or "pinched". The eyes look like they're squinting and the beak looks like it's at an unnatural angle. I recommend fixing the eye and putting the beak at less of an angle. As for the tail, I'm no graphic designer so I wouldn't know how to fix that, but I have a suggestion of a way to change it. Look at the cardinal tail:

3536504607_4240cd8ec2.jpg

It gets longer the farther out because of the feather "layers". Maybe add those feather "lines" to "cut into" the tail. And I just realized: the birdie needs wings!

Ok cool, thanks for the information. I was kinda going for a streamlined, "implied" wing look, but maybe it didn't turn out as well as I thought. Back to the drawing board! Anymore comments from others? Always love to gather C&C before sketching up the next version.

I do think this is a great start, but yeah one of the first things I thought was he's straining on the can! Perhaps go more nuetral in its expression, the motion you've got going is what's going to make this a great logo.

I'd also like to see it without the red outline, I'm not sure that's helping.

Hey guys, here's an update to the cardinal. Lotta changes here. Added an actual wing, added some shading throughout, restructured the beak and eye, as well as the orientation of the colored blue part of the head. Couple other small changes that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Cardinal2.png

This is a much improved version, just 2 things:

-The pupil of the eye is a bit too thin. It looks less like it's squinting, but it's not quite there yet.

-The blue outline on the wing. It looks fine, just the long part is a stretch of solid blue (it's like it's outlining nothing). I'd make it a bit bigger so you can fit red into there so there's red inbetween, if you know what I mean.

Archived