Arizona awarded Super Bowl XLIX

TBGKon

I know this sounds stupid, but what about Super Bowl 50 in Detroit? The city is majorly on the uprise and who knows what it will be like in 2016. I think it would be cool because it would be exactly ten years after Super Bowl XL was in Detroit.

The NFL media contingent is a bunch of spoiled brats. They whined Detroit was too cold and there was nothing to do and they whined Jacksonville didn't have the finest caviar or whatever the hell it was. Both cities were torn to shreds and will never get another Superbowl.

Edit: I forgot that the media was mortified in SB41 when it rained. Even though it was somehow the first time out of 41 years that it rained, it was unacceptable, and there was talk the NFL wouldn't go back to Miami unless they get some sort of retractable roof built (or maybe that is just how Dolphins' ownership pitched it). The NFL and media were also furious about the snow in Dallas this year, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the NFL make Dallas wait another 10 years or so to punish them for allowing it to snowing.

I presume it's a rare occurrence that it snows like that in Dallas?

The best visually played games were those in the snow. I would love to see the super bowl played in the snow. it just has NFL films written all over it.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best visually played games were those in the snow. I would love to see the super bowl played in the snow. it just has NFL films written all over it.

No. I'd prefer to see my NFL championship game played with both teams performing at their best and snow is not conducive to such an outcome.

/Hopefully New York is a one year thing.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm hoping Indy turns into a good experience, because I'd like to see the Midwest get back in the rotation (wasn't the Metrodome in there for a while?) and it's a shame Detroit didn't "work out" and this has become so much more about the external stuff rather than the venue and the game itself.

It's something I say a lot, so pardon the homerism, but when I see Super Bowls and Big Ten championship games going to Indy, it amazes me that Chicago was so shortsighted on Soldier Field. (The same can be said when I see Miller Park. I wasn't big on it the first time I went -- called it a mall -- but now it is one of my favorites, partly because when I go I know there will be a game.)

I still hate Miller Park. I appreciate the need for a dome, but wish they could have found a way to build one that didn't equally impact the park's atmosphere even when open.

No. I'd prefer to see my NFL championship game played with both teams performing at their best and snow is not conducive to such an outcome.

Myself, I want to see the team square off in the elements. Football ought not be an indoor sport.

Hopefully New York is just the start.

I still hate Miller Park. I appreciate the need for a dome, but wish they could have found a way to build one that didn't equally impact the park's atmosphere even when open.

Myself, I want to see the team square off in the elements. Football ought not be an indoor sport.

Hopefully New York is just the start.

It's cool that the elements can be a factor in the playoffs, which are seeded, but since the Super Bowl is supposed to be a neutral site and seeding is not in play, I don't really like the idea of a Packers/Chargers or Patriots/Buccaneers Super Bowl impacted by the Snow.

BTW, I totally agree with your comments on Miller Park. The seating site lines are phenominal, but the structure totally impacts the stadium, making it too evident when it's "open". The only other retractable ballpark I've been to, Safeco, does a much better job of being open when it's open.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm hoping Indy turns into a good experience, because I'd like to see the Midwest get back in the rotation (wasn't the Metrodome in there for a while?) and it's a shame Detroit didn't "work out" and this has become so much more about the external stuff rather than the venue and the game itself.

It's something I say a lot, so pardon the homerism, but when I see Super Bowls and Big Ten championship games going to Indy, it amazes me that Chicago was so shortsighted on Soldier Field. (The same can be said when I see Miller Park. I wasn't big on it the first time I went -- called it a mall -- but now it is one of my favorites, partly because when I go I know there will be a game.)

The Metrodome had one in 1991 or 1992. I think they had to find a way to squeeze a few more seats into a place that already squeezes fans in like sardines. I would suspect that it's no longer modern enough, lacks the number/quality of luxury boxes, is too cramped, and has too small a seating capacity compared to the places that are now getting the Super Bowl. If the Vikes get their retractable-roof stadium, then perhaps that will host a Super Bowl some day. I don't know that it should...Minneapolis is a great city, but not in February.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

No, I didn't expect it to return to the Metrodome now, just that they had a fairly recent shot. And I checked, it was just the one in 1992, so it was not "in the rotation" as I had suggested. I thought they had two. Looks like no Midwest venue has been.

And for the record, I loved County Stadium, too. Probably why it took me a while to warm up to Miller. Of course, that indoor-outdoor feel doesn't bug me because I grew up thinking that was cool at Texas Stadium.

I don't really feel like the Super Bowl should be like a college bowl as far as the weather. It's not like it's a vacation for the players or the fans. Anyone attending or participating in it has access to warm-weather locales any tme they want. Bowing to the media whining seems silly. I'm sure there are plenty of writers who would be happy to take their place covering a Super Bowl.

Archived