2012 Olympics

CrookedThumb

Who do you think (or hope) will get the 2012 Summer Olympics?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I personally think NYC doesn't have a chance for the reason I gave earlier: Atlanta 1996, SLC 2002, and even Vancouver 2010. Should we have every Olympics in North America? :therock:

Yes, for the reason I mentioned before. Television wants them in North America because then they can have more live events in primetime which will translate into higher ratings which means more advertising money. Since NBC is paying tons of money they are probably calling the shots behind the scenes.

Yeah, but more people watch the Olympics on television in other nations. Europe has more people to watch the Olympics then the US and Canada do. They probably get equivilant advertising dollars as well.

I think NBC had paid the most for the rights. And NBC by far has the most power, just look at the scheduleing of events, NBC controls that.

NBC has power when it comes to the Olympics and they will make a strong push for NY.

It will be either Paris, New York, Or Moscow.

Paris - Because everyone that's not American loves France because, well, they hate America. It would be a European (and Canadian) lovefest, with American athletes getting booed and jeered. A Frenchman's dream.

New York - The biggest and most vibrant city, often called the Center of the World, it's an awfully big jewel that IOC would love to stick in it's crown.

Moscow - Sympathy votes. It could help Russia's economy (or cripple it), but Russia is in need of good press, and the Olympics could boost it on the international stage.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I honestly cannot think of a single good reason to have the Olympics in New York.

Do we deserve it? Sure, we're a world-class city.

But New York does not need the Olympics. The Olympics are well-suited for cities like Atlanta and Salt Lake City that can afford to be inconvenienced and that desire more international recognition and prestige.

We're already the most internationally recognized city. Our status as financial capital of the world makes the inevitable inconveniences caused by the Olympics highly risky.

I'd love to know...Where's the payoff? All the politicians talk about is how a great city deserves an event like this or how we're an international city. They don't say how it will improve the city.

It creates jobs? We'd be better off paying them to twiddle their thumbs for eight years...at least then, we wouldn't be stuck with a headache of an event at the end.

It creates new world-class facilities? Yeah, 'cause we really need a new synchonized swimming arena.

I know a public school system that would love $3.3B right now...

Besides, if NYC wins the 2012 bid, NBC won't have to use the Convention Center for home base as the International broadcast Center, they can save millions of $$$ as they would use the Lorne Michaels Saturday Night Live Studio (aka Studio 8-H) as their home base for all the programming except Opening and Closing ceremonies, and Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia would be the perfect host for Olympic Preliminary Soccer Games, along with FedEx Field in Washington (Landover, Maryland) and Gilette Stadium in Boston (Foxboro, Mass.).

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

I honestly cannot think of a single good reason to have the Olympics in New York.

Do we deserve it? Sure, we're a world-class city.

But New York does not need the Olympics. The Olympics are well-suited for cities like Atlanta and Salt Lake City that can afford to be inconvenienced and that desire more international recognition and prestige.

We're already the most internationally recognized city. Our status as financial capital of the world makes the inevitable inconveniences caused by the Olympics highly risky.

I'd love to know...Where's the payoff? All the politicians talk about is how a great city deserves an event like this or how we're an international city. They don't say how it will improve the city.

It creates jobs? We'd be better off paying them to twiddle their thumbs for eight years...at least then, we wouldn't be stuck with a headache of an event at the end.

It creates new world-class facilities? Yeah, 'cause we really need a new synchonized swimming arena.

I know a public school system that would love $3.3B right now...

By that logic London and Paris dont need the olympics either. If this is about increasing a cities international noteworthyness (is that a word?) then i have an idea....

BOISE 2012!!!!

Azzuri.gif

By that logic London and Paris dont need the olympics either. If this is about increasing a cities international noteworthyness (is that a word?) then i have an idea....

BOISE 2012!!!!

:lol: :lol:

How about Mississauga 2016? :D

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm sorry but NYC really doesn't stand a chance. Paris all the way!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I'm sorry but NYC really doesn't stand a chance.  Paris all the way!

Paris?

You fuxking frog-lover..... :P

I'm just telling it how it is. I'd love to have NYC host the games but we all know that it's not the best place to do so.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Archived