Nike "Pro Combat" vs. Adidas "Legacy"

aawagner011

The only issue with Pro Combat is that it has Pro in front, insinuating Professional. But the Professionals don't wear it. Combat is fine. People are getting wayyyyy too sensitive with the military. Combat is not restricted to, or defined by, a military presence or multi-Nation war. As he showed in the definition, you oppose strongly, battle, contend, struggle, etc. I'm all for the military, but not EVERY word has to do with military.

So paid football players don't wear Nike Pro Combat gear, eh?

Ohio+State+v+Michigan+D2ANQZcWC8Al.jpg

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I never thought of the military the first time I heard Pro Combat. Probably never thought about it until Paul Lukas said something. If it bothers you fine, but waste your time trying to talk me into being bothered. I don't waste time trying to be PC. People are too easily offended.

Nothing I posted had anything to do with political correctness.

First and foremost... Pro Combat is such a cooler name than Legacy.

In what way? It implies that the uniforms are for paid members of a military, not amateur kids playing a game.

Even if you go with the technical definition of combat (pated below from The Free Dictionary) it could be argued that it has nothing to do with football. I think it's a horrible name for a clothing line, as it's designed to play off of emotion and the ridiculous over dramatic notion that athletes are "warriors" and "go to war with each other".

com·bat (km-bt, kmbt)

v. com·bat·ed or com·bat·ted, com·bat·ing or com·bat·ting, com·bats

v.tr.

1. To oppose in battle; fight against.

2. To oppose vigorously; struggle against. See Synonyms at oppose.

v.intr.

To engage in fighting; contend or struggle.

n. (kmbt)

Fighting, especially armed battle; strife. See Synonyms at conflict.

adj. (kmbt)

1. Of or relating to combat: flew 50 combat missions.

2. Intended for use or deployment in combat: combat boots; combat troops.

Those describe football perfectly.

I suppose, though despite its physical nature, I still think of football as an athletic event and not a "fight". I would argue that the last part you bolded doesn't apply at all.

So football players don't wear armor? Like helmets and stuff? Really?

I think that when most people think of someone being "armed", they think of that person being equiped with a firearm, not shoulder pads and a helmet.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The only issue with Pro Combat is that it has Pro in front, insinuating Professional. But the Professionals don't wear it. Combat is fine. People are getting wayyyyy too sensitive with the military. Combat is not restricted to, or defined by, a military presence or multi-Nation war. As he showed in the definition, you oppose strongly, battle, contend, struggle, etc. I'm all for the military, but not EVERY word has to do with military.

So paid football players don't wear Nike Pro Combat gear, eh?

Ohio+State+v+Michigan+D2ANQZcWC8Al.jpg

Hey hey hey. TP was just trying to get laced up with a new whip and some fresh ink. What's wrong with that?

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Plenty of professional football players wear it. People (here, surprisingly, of all places) are confused. Pro Combat = the base layer stuff. Rivalry = the special one off uniforms Nike designs for schools to help promote the use of pro combat stuff.

tmpphpCFW4GE.jpg

news_nike-pro-prepare-for-combat.jpg

Plenty of professional football players wear it. People (here, surprisingly, of all places) are confused. Pro Combat = the base layer stuff. Rivalry = the special one off uniforms Nike designs for schools to help promote the use of pro combat stuff.

tmpphpCFW4GE.jpg

A distinction made without necessity. We were discussing the UNIFORM, as is obvious and evident... not the compression shorts and compression shirts.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

tmpphpCFW4GE.jpg

A distinction made without necessity. We were discussing the UNIFORM, as is obvious and evident... not the compression shorts and compression shirts.

You are clearly still confused. Someone quoted above said "The only issue with Pro Combat is that it has Pro in front, insinuating Professional. But the Professionals don't wear it." I was correcting him. Professional athletes absolutely wear nike pro combat (hence the pictures I posted). Nike pro combat is the compression shorts and shirts. Nike's Rivalry program is the custom uniforms some schools get. When we are talking about the UNIFORM, we are talking about Nike's Rivalry program, not "pro combat." People may call it that, but they are confused when they do. The two things complement each other (in that Nike wants you to wear pro combat padding under your new nike speed machine template uniform).

Archived