Nike "Pro Combat" vs. Adidas "Legacy"

aawagner011

Hey everyone, I wanted to ask a question regarding Nike vs. Adidas. Obviously, everyone knows about the yearly Nike Pro Combat line and how there are usually 9-10 teams involved. I was wondering if the general consensus was that the Adidas one-off uniforms were a direct competition to the NPC line. I recall the first year the NPC's came out and the hype and media around them was a lot mellower. There wasn't a single, large preseason launch. It was more like a week or two before certain late season games (if I recall). Adidas has taken their unveilings on a team by team basis, rather than one single launch event very similar to Nike's first attempt with the Pro Combats.

They've done:

Michigan striped set (home and away)

Notre Dame green and gold clover away set

Northwestern purple with silver helmet set

Upcoming Mississippi State rivalry kit vs Ole Miss

And that's all I know off the top of my head.

I had a hunch that maybe this is Adidas' response to the NPC line. Perhaps they're utilizing a "soft" launch instead of one grand launch like recent NPC lines? This has a feeling of the original Pro Combat series. What are your thoughts? Will Adidas roll out an entire series of 10 teams next year and compete directly with the Nike line?

I want my Vols to get one of those Adidas Legacy sets. These fauxbacks would be perfect for the game up in Lexington for the last game of the year.

tb10.png

I would rather see them wear black because death is going to be the mood in Lexington this season.

Never mind, I am getting to see a Black-Out this weekend.

spacer.png

i think its definitely an alternate uniform response to Nike. but they're not coming up with new designs, they're doing throwbacks. so thats one thing that Addidas Legacy has over NPC (for the most part). those uniforms should be more widely accepted because its an actual design in school history and everybody loves throwbacks. so you're playing to the audience that loves tradition and new alternates a bit.

not sure if they will do 10 teams, but i dont see why not. having a big announcement pre season is a great way to get people excited about it and build awareness. they should definitely do that. everything they've done has been top notch. i wouldnt like to see them take on more schools if it meant a loss in quality, but not sure if that would even effect the project.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

First and foremost... Pro Combat is such a cooler name than Legacy.

Second - the Adidas uniforms just look uncomfortable. Every school I see that wears them look confined and restricted. Yes, the Pro Combat jerseys tend to scrunch up, but it looks like its a natural scrunch that doesn't actually restrict any motion.

Third - Adidas is just boring. I get its "Legacy", I like the gimmick, but its just not appealing - and this is coming from someone who loves classic looks.

Fourth - The cuts of the Pro Combat look a lot more appealing than the Legacy.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Adidas just doesn't get it.

I feel the same way. But at least they don't straight up copy Nike like Under Armour does.

Agreed. They made my Northwestern Wildcats look AWFUL!!! I mean, NU usually plays AWFUL but looks classy... Saturday night we were embarrassing game-wise and fashion-wise.

I feel the same way. But at least they don't straight up copy Nike like Under Armour does.

Agreed. They made my Northwestern Wildcats look AWFUL!!! I mean, NU usually plays AWFUL but looks classy... Saturday night we were embarrassing game-wise and fashion-wise.

In no way does purple and black ever look classy together. Let's get that straight :-). I don't care what anyone says, adidas absolutely killed it with the Michigan-Notre Dame game. Both those uniforms were light years better than any Pro Combat set that Nike has done.

Also, Pro Combat is most definitely not a better name than Legacy. It's contrived and over the top in a big way. Comparing football to war is never a good thing, and Pro Combat takes it to a whole new level of ridiculousness, beside the fact that Pro Combat is a line of freaking underwear that Nike is trying to sell by putting teams in special uniforms.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

In no way does purple and black ever look classy together. Let's get that straight :-). I don't care what anyone says, adidas absolutely killed it with the Michigan-Notre Dame game. Both those uniforms were light years better than any Pro Combat set that Nike has done.

Also, Pro Combat is most definitely not a better name than Legacy. It's contrived and over the top in a big way. Comparing football to war is never a good thing, and Pro Combat takes it to a whole new level of ridiculousness, beside the fact that Pro Combat is a line of freaking underwear that Nike is trying to sell by putting teams in special uniforms.

You did that, not Nike. Combat often refers to war, but does not have to.

Combat is a purposeful violent conflict meant to establish dominance over the opposition.

I've seen that before and I'm ok with it. Why shouldn't I be? Football is compared with war all the time, but it's not ok now because Nike is doing it? Nobody is dumb enough to think playing football puts you in the same danger as going to war. But football players are at a higher risk of serious injury than a lot of people in the "armed forces."

Most of my family is/was military and none of them besides me played football. I don't have a problem with it.

And my point is still true, combat does not equal war.

In what way? It implies that the uniforms are for paid members of a military, not amateur kids playing a game.

Even if you go with the technical definition of combat (pated below from The Free Dictionary) it could be argued that it has nothing to do with football. I think it's a horrible name for a clothing line, as it's designed to play off of emotion and the ridiculous over dramatic notion that athletes are "warriors" and "go to war with each other".

com·bat (km-bt, kmbt)

v. com·bat·ed or com·bat·ted, com·bat·ing or com·bat·ting, com·bats

v.tr.

1. To oppose in battle; fight against.

2. To oppose vigorously; struggle against. See Synonyms at oppose.

v.intr.

To engage in fighting; contend or struggle.

n. (kmbt)

Fighting, especially armed battle; strife. See Synonyms at conflict.

adj. (kmbt)

1. Of or relating to combat: flew 50 combat missions.

2. Intended for use or deployment in combat: combat boots; combat troops.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I never thought of the military the first time I heard Pro Combat. Probably never thought about it until Paul Lukas said something. If it bothers you fine, but waste your time trying to talk me into being bothered. I don't waste time trying to be PC. People are too easily offended.

In what way? It implies that the uniforms are for paid members of a military, not amateur kids playing a game.

Even if you go with the technical definition of combat (pated below from The Free Dictionary) it could be argued that it has nothing to do with football. I think it's a horrible name for a clothing line, as it's designed to play off of emotion and the ridiculous over dramatic notion that athletes are "warriors" and "go to war with each other".

com·bat (km-bt, kmbt)

v.tr.

v.intr.

n. (kmbt)

adj. (kmbt)

Those describe football perfectly.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

The only issue with Pro Combat is that it has Pro in front, insinuating Professional. But the Professionals don't wear it. Combat is fine. People are getting wayyyyy too sensitive with the military. Combat is not restricted to, or defined by, a military presence or multi-Nation war. As he showed in the definition, you oppose strongly, battle, contend, struggle, etc. I'm all for the military, but not EVERY word has to do with military.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The only issue with Pro Combat is that it has Pro in front, insinuating Professional. But the Professionals don't wear it. Combat is fine. People are getting wayyyyy too sensitive with the military. Combat is not restricted to, or defined by, a military presence or multi-Nation war. As he showed in the definition, you oppose strongly, battle, contend, struggle, etc. I'm all for the military, but not EVERY word has to do with military.

They will next year, when Nike takes over the NFL.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I never thought of the military the first time I heard Pro Combat. Probably never thought about it until Paul Lukas said something. If it bothers you fine, but waste your time trying to talk me into being bothered. I don't waste time trying to be PC. People are too easily offended.

Nothing I posted had anything to do with political correctness.

com·bat (km-bt, kmbt)

v.tr.

v.intr.

n. (kmbt)

adj. (kmbt)

I suppose, though despite its physical nature, I still think of football as an athletic event and not a "fight". I would argue that the last part you bolded doesn't apply at all.

I mentioned the military, but I should have noted that I don't think that "combat" applies exclusively to it. If there was a UFC line called "pro combat", I'd think it was silly but wouldn't have an issue with it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Nothing I posted had anything to do with political correctness.

com·bat (km-bt, kmbt)

v.tr.

v.intr.

n. (kmbt)

adj. (kmbt)

I suppose, though despite its physical nature, I still think of football as an athletic event and not a "fight". I would argue that the last part you bolded doesn't apply at all.

So football players don't wear armor? Like helmets and stuff? Really?

Archived