Get a Share of the Pack

Mac the Knife

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the team will follow up their stock sale by selling boxes of sod.

They've been doing that off and on for decades.

Lots of teams do that nowadays.

I think our friend quantum was making fun of us.

Just a little. I live in Packer country and get Packer coverage 24/7/365, so maybe my enthusiasm for the home team is a bit more in check. I view these stock sales as just a money grab and they get enough of my money as is. Plus, there are enough business execs in the area with Packer ties that I've tried on two of the Super Bowl rings. A nice perk to living here :).

I was around for the last sod sale and I never quite understood the appeal. That and I have a few unused boxes from the last sale.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I don't get the sod thing either, though lots of people still like it.

I'm not sure I can agree with your characterization of the stock sale as "money grab", which connotes something unsavory. Isn't this better than asking the county or city to pony up for the stadium improvements? Especially if they're "getting enough of (your) money as is"?

At least this way you can choose to help fund the stadium expansion or not. If they leveled another sales tax nobody would have a real choice as to pay for it.

The sales tax is still in place. Plus, the stocks have very limited value to the purchaser. I remember the '97 discussions and the "give us the sales tax or we may relocate" rumors/undertone and feeling the same way. That said, if the people buying the stocks value them, so be it. Frankly, I think they should develop the land around Lambeau into sports-themed apartments that would provide a continual stream of income. In the end, it seems like just an expensive piece of paper. I'd rather get more for my money and do more for the team like, buy an authentic jersey.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Plus, there are enough business execs in the area with Packer ties that I've tried on two of the Super Bowl rings. A nice perk to living here :).

As nice as having a Super Bowl ring of your own? B)

If you wear the ring all the time, then you'd have a point. Otherwise, you just have the option of buying an exclusive replica. If I have access to the real $30K deal, I don't need the shareholder version.

shysters_sm.jpg

Plus, there are enough business execs in the area with Packer ties that I've tried on two of the Super Bowl rings. A nice perk to living here :).

As nice as having a Super Bowl ring of your own? B)

If you wear the ring all the time, then you'd have a point. Otherwise, you just have the option of buying an exclusive replica. If I have access to the real $30K deal, I don't need the shareholder version.

Trust me, if I end up with a shareholders SB ring, I'll be wearing it all the time. B)

BB52Big.jpg

The sales tax is still in place.

The original one. They chose this route rather than ask for a new one.

Frankly, I think they should develop the land around Lambeau into sports-themed apartments that would provide a continual stream of income.

I think the last several years have taught us that schemes like that aren't always as sure-fire as they seem.

This new expansion will provide a much better, and longer-lasting, source of income for the club.

Got my certificates via UPS today!

Sweet. I got an e-mail confirmation from UPS today confirming mine will be delivered around December 21st.

You'll love it. It comes in a very nice package. Each one was in a separate package. I wonder if multiple shares under the same name are individually packaged? Ours were ordered with various names on them.

BB52Big.jpg

I thought about getting a share but decided against it.

For one I am a poor college student, I could scrounge up enough but I'll probably just save it and spend it on the lady this Christmas. Also I just felt the value wasn't enough for it to be worth it to me. Not to take away from all y'all or anything just a personal opinion. I do admit if the Bucs or another of my favorite teams did it I would be more likely to drop the money on it but even then it just feels like I would be paying a ton for a piece of paper and not much else.

-shrugs-

niagaraq.png

That's cool, these aren't for everybody.

Personally, I wouldn't spend a penny on it unless I was a fan of the team. That's what makes it worth the money in a way that the Cleveland Indians, say, wouldn't be. The benefits are largely intangible and only resonate with me because I love the team and value those intangible benefits rather highly.

Can someone ask Milo if we're now allowed to use "we" when referring to the Packers? B)

I go one step further and refer to them as "The Packers, the NFL team that I own, ..."

As in... "I can't believe the Packers, the NFL team that I own, lost this weekend to Kansas City."

IUe6Hvh.png

I go one step further and refer to them as "The Packers, the NFL team that I own, ..."

As in... "I can't believe the Packers, the NFL team that I own, lost this weekend to Kansas City."

That's funny. If it's any help to you new shareholders, since my acquisition of shares in '97 I've referred to them in conversation simply as "the Packers." No special distinction.

Something that's fun for me though is going to preseason games of my flag football league (debuting in January) wearing my ring. It literally can take an entire team along a sideline and derail their mindset for half an hour or so.

nav-logo.png

Archived