Lakeshore Chinooks

Gothamite

The Northwoods League has a new team, playing at Concordia University in Mequon, suburban Milwaukee.

They're playing heavily on local baseball loyalties; minority owners of the club include Milwaukee Brewers Hall of Famer Robin Yount and Brewers radio anchor Bob Uecker. They also borrowed the Admirals' color scheme, perhaps unintentionally.

Lakeshore_Chinooks_Logo.jpg

The name refers to a type of salmon introduced to Lake Michigan in the 1950s.

We don't yet know what the uniforms will look like, although I'm betting that the fishy C will be the cap logo.

I don't know about the logo. The wordmark is nice, with the tail, but I think the fish rendering is pretty poor. Besides, I prefer my mascot logos to actually play the game:

Bridgeport_Bluefish.gif

The Northwoods League has a new team, playing at Concordia University in Mequon, suburban Milwaukee.

They're playing heavily on local baseball loyalties; minority owners of the club include Milwaukee Brewers Hall of Famer Robin Yount and Brewers radio anchor Bob Uecker. They also borrowed the Admirals' color scheme, perhaps unintentionally.

We don't yet know what the uniforms will look like, although I'm betting that the fishy C will be the cap logo.

I don't know about the logo. The wordmark is nice, with the tail, but I think the fish rendering is pretty poor. Besides, I prefer my mascot logos to actually play the game:

Bridgeport_Bluefish.gif

interesting that you find the chinooks' rendering "poor", but like the bridgeport logo. i agree about the comments of the tail appearing flat, but it is understandable to create the c-shape; however it is actually rendered quite well.

Bridgeport_Bluefish.gif

Didn't know that... how fitting that a team named after an artificially introduced fish from the 50s would play in an area made up almost entirely of artificially developed housing tracts from the 50s :D

Forreal tho... Ozaukee County seems like a pretty small market even by NWL standards. Seems that if they wanted to put a team anywhere in the Milwaukee suburbs, it should've been Waukesha or Delafield (Lake Country).

It's not bad I guess. I think they could've made it simpler and still gotten the point across, but I can't argue with a team that's branding has local ties. Better than the "wildcats" or other generic bilge.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Isn't there a park in Waukesha? Heard that come up during Fieldersmania. Went driving through Waukesha at night without my glasses on one time when I first got my license. I'll always remember this as a particularly unpleasant experience.

Pretty lame to cop out on the place name when "Mequon" is such a unique name. I mean, Lakeshore, that could be anywhere!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't know about any ballpark in Waukesha. But the Concordia donor is also involved with putting the team together; if a similar situation could be found in Waukesha or the Lake Country, then I'm sure the Northwoods League would entertain the possibility.

It's not like the league went looking for a group to put a team there.

Just for comparison, there's a new team in the Alaska Baseball League also called "Chinooks":

90717916ece9a54f78fb57252e4767c6.jpeg

Although I thought they called them "King Salmon" up there?

Anyway, the Northwoods League logo is looking better and better. Guess I found an exception to my "playing the game" rule.

Just for comparison, there's a new team in the Alaska Baseball League also called "Chinooks":

90717916ece9a54f78fb57252e4767c6.jpeg

Although I thought they called them "King Salmon" up there?

Anyway, the Northwoods League logo is looking better and better. Guess I found an exception to my "playing the game" rule.

now that is poorly rendered! :wink2:

I think it was more about Concordia University building a baseball field than anything else. This gives them an in to the Milwaukee suburbs, in a brand new park.

Personally, I'm still waiting for the Wauwatosa Walruses to join the Northwoods League. :)

I'm still waiting to win the lottery, so I can start up the Minocqua Islanders.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Isn't there a park in Waukesha? Heard that come up during Fieldersmania. Went driving through Waukesha at night without my glasses on one time when I first got my license. I'll always remember this as a particularly unpleasant experience.

Pretty lame to cop out on the place name when "Mequon" is such a unique name. I mean, Lakeshore, that could be anywhere!

That confused me too because "Lakeshore" usually refers to Manitowoc and Sheboygan counties... basically the places on Lake Michigan that aren't part of the Milwaukee or Green Bay metros. I'm guessing they chose the technically incorrect Lakeshore name to try and draw fans from the north on the (correct) assumption that anyone who lives south of the area would rather just go see the Brewers.

Oh hell, if we're sharing lottery stories, I'm going to kick the Northwoods League out of Madison with my new AAA incarnation of the Hatters. :)

What? No revival of the Muskies?!? For shame! :P

Archived