Ron Santo elected to the Hall of Fame

pmoehrin

No idea what the hold up was, but finally Ron Santo is in the Hall of Fame after receiving more then 90% of the vote from the Golden Era Committee.

It probably had something to do with Santo not having a hall of fame career. That's my guess anyway.

Sorry, I just don't see Santo as a hall of famer.

BB52Big.jpg

It's a damn shame this honor had to come posthumously (it shouldn't have come at all, but that's a different story).

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Statistically speaking he's a Hall of Fame player, and he amassed his numbers while crudely self-treating juvenile diabetes, which was about the only way you could treat it in his time. I think he's a hugely important figure for that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I am so stoked that Santo finally got in! -- But at the same time, am pretty upset that the voters waited until after his passing to put him in. :(

For lack of a better term the writers F'd this one up big time.

Only Brooks Robinson can match his numbers as a 3B over his career both offensively and defensively over Santo's 14 year career. Nobody else is even close, and there is no argument against Brooks Robinson for being in the HOF, so why did it take so long for Santo? And if the reasons were personal, shame on the Veterans Committee as well.

1) "Too many '69 Cubs are in the Hall of Fame already and that team never won nothing anyways. In an unrelated story, I require an instruction manual to dress myself."

2) He was a prick in his playing days.

Sure, he pretty much repented for being such a prick by tirelessly raising millions of dollars for JDRF and forging a second career as One Of Baseball's Good Guys, but dearest god, you don't understand, he jumped in the air when the Cubs won games!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Fantastic news. I do wish he were alive to see it, but I'm thrilled that he's in. Now if only the Hall could get Gil Hodges in, then all would be well in my world.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Statistically speaking he's a Hall of Fame player, and he amassed his numbers while crudely self-treating juvenile diabetes, which was about the only way you could treat it in his time. I think he's a hugely important figure for that.

Only Brooks Robinson can match his numbers as a 3B over his career both offensively and defensively over Santo's 14 year career. Nobody else is even close, and there is no argument against Brooks Robinson for being in the HOF, so why did it take so long for Santo? And if the reasons were personal, shame on the Veterans Committee as well.

My impression has always been that he wasn't HOF caliber but I could be wrong. I guess I should take another look at Santo's career. Let's also not forget that he played for a bad team. I'm off to Baseball-Reference.com. You guys have convinced me to reassess my position. (Don't tell anyone. We don't want people thinking that a civil debate can take place around here.)

BB52Big.jpg

For Santo's career which is '60-'74 if I had to rank 3B I'd go as follows.

1. Brooks Robinson

2. Ron Santo

3. Eddie Mathews

4. Ken Boyer

5. Sal Bando

6. Clete Boyer

7. Ken McMullen

8. Dick Allen (only taking into account his 3B stats which is basically '64-'67 and '71)

9. Tony Perez

10. Craig Nettles

His career look okay, but he's one of those guys that doesen't become all that special until you start taking a look at the guys around the league that played his position. That's when your realize just how far ahead of everyone he really he was.

Good news. Now if they can finally get Hodges and Kaat in ... especially Kaat. I don't care if his record isn't as fascinating as Warren Spahn's, but the amount of Gold Gloves is outstanding. Let's try to compile some modern day pitchers that are defensive and try to be a part of the game in more than one way :rolleyes:

Archived