Unity Rockets

pcgd

Hey all,

first off I wanted to thank you all for your constructive criticism on this board. When you design stuff, its hard even with people around you to have the knowledge of other logos from all over. Its very difficult sometimes to design something completly unique logo wise which I found on my Carthage Logo. Hopefully with this one its completly a unique creation.

With that being said, I'm reduing my ol' High School's logo. We were the rockets and I really like the rocket I designed. I'm having some trouble with the wordmark however and would welcome any suggestions or creations that anyone might have. There could be similarities with Toledo when viewed alone, but when viewed with their logo, you don't see it at all. I enclosed theirs as well. (the "R" in my rocket is intentional) Here is the logo as well as a couple wordmarks that I came up with:

unityrockets.gif

toledo.jpg

I also came up with a uniform concept. A couple things, the rocket on the back is there because we wouldn't have names on the jerseys. I hate when some High Schools just put the numbers on there without names and they are low on the back and just look silly. Therefore I tried the rocket and it looks pretty nice in my opinion. Also, I know piping has been done (over done in some cases) but in this case I think it fits with the logo and its simple. The socks are black because that's a long standing tradition with the team.

unityfootuni.gif

Any crit positive or neg is appreciated!

I don't like the black socks when there's no other black. Honestly, I love the logo, but I think it needs another color. If I didn't know what the team name was, it'd take me a few seconds to realize that the logo is more than just curvy lines and sharp edges.

IUe6Hvh.png

Nice looking stuff here homebrew.

I can see the similarities, but there are definately differences too.

Id suggest superimposing a U and R in the rocket, I can kinda see it already.

It may end up only being cool for a secondary, but you never know.

Just an idea.

I think the wordmark is pretty good as it stands, Im a fan of the top one, but also kinda like the spacey feel of the second wordmark.

I think the top one works the best for this design though, so i suggest going with that.

I like your stuff, its well presented.

Are you in design school or anything, or just a self-taught?

I think the logo's a little hard to read when it's small. I wonder if extending the fins a little bit further away from the body of the rocket would help that. I know stylisticly you probably want to keep it compact as possible, but I think it would help the legibility a little bit for when the logo is in a reduced size.

Very nice rendering though. You've definitely got skills.

I also agree about the black socks... why not make both sets of them maroon? I think they'd tie in better that way.

I think the logo's a little hard to read when it's small. I wonder if extending the fins a little bit further away from the body of the rocket would help that. I know stylisticly you probably want to keep it compact as possible, but I think it would help the legibility a little bit for when the logo is in a reduced size.

I agree. Also, the R is rather hard to discern. I'd say either make it a little more obvious, or get rid of it completely.

I like the "Unity Rockets" wordmark... is that a font you used, or a custom design? If it's a font, is it available for free? I'd love to add that to my collection.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Thanks for the input all! Its certainly a work in process, at the end of the process but tweeking needs to be done. I've tried adding our secondary color (grey or silver) but have had trouble making it look right. I'll continue working on it when I have spare time. I'm in the middle of a big move right now and starting a new job.

The font is called Masque. I got it off Font Freak. They have a large (very large) selection of free fonts for both mac and PC. I'd recomend it for anyone in design. I did some modifications do the font. Added a bit more slant and extended the leg of the R, but other than that its pretty much Masque. The other font for those that are interested is New Brilliant.

It was asked if I was self taught or what. I went to Carthage College in Kenosha, WI and will graduate on sunday with a degree in Graphic Design. While I was going there however the art department is under a large reconfiguration. Most of my design learning through them was in the non-computer world (believe it or not!) I got a small amount of training, but a majority of my computer skills have been derived from jobs I've held or just working my butt off on my own. I pretty much have no life outside of design. (Well, that and the bars) I'm starting work at a graphic design firm near St. Louis on Tuesday.

I know there are similarites to the Toledo logo, but Toledo was one of the best designs for a rocket I've ever seen. I think there are enough differences that unless it were a college logo in Ohio, there wouldn't be any problems. Rockets like I said before are very hard to make look cool. That's why most of the designs at my High School are just a "U" or a "U" with the word rockets. And with the "R" I didn't want it to be really obvious. I try to make designs that everytime you look at it you might see something new. Its not always accomplished, but I try just the same.

I'll make the socks maroon or a maroon white combo when I've got time. I know they'd end up wearing black but for the sake of the design, your right it just takes away making them black.

What are the thoughts on the uniform if anyone has any? I'm very much a newbie when it comes to uniform design.

Thanks again!

pc

One more thing! If you go to Font freak, click the "enter" button, not the pcfonts or mac fonts button. Those take you to other sites. They might be good but I've foud Font Freak to be the best.

pc

I like the logo, almost too modern for a high school. Most seem to use very basic, homogenized logos. Probably because they can buy the decals cheaper if they are something already in production that will be used by multiple teams.

One question on the striping (or lack of) on the jerseys and pants.. On the white jersey and pants the stripe is white but with the maroon outline and vice-versa. Is this really what you were after? You might want to go ahead and put the color in the stripe or remove the stripe altogher...

Overall a pretty good concept.

gdff:

They already use a custom decal, so a different custom shouldn't cost anything different. On the Jerseys, my goal was to have piping. Ala Miami, Va Tech; but not go as crazy as them. With full color it's gonna look like the Unity Broncos. I'll try it and see how it looks...thanks for the thoughts!

Archived