piratesfan16's MLB Series (Golden Edition)

piratesfan16

I'm back! I've decided that my previous MLB series was unorganized as all get out. Therefore, I've decided to start over with a fresh thread(It's called golden edition because...well, I'm a Pirates fan). Some new things are coming as well. Here's an overview:

I will take C&C for every concept and apply them to their respective concept until everyone says it's perfect(or close to). That means that everyone's C&C will be considered, even if I personally don't agree with it. So please, feel free to offer some input. You take the time to give me C&C, I take the time to acknowledge it and show the results.

My version of the MLB will be a lot different than the norm. Here are some things that will be changed:

1) Gray road jerseys. They just don't work anymore. As much as I like them, it's time to move on. They were created for reasons that are not relevant today.

2) That means that the road jerseys will be darker colored jerseys. Just like today in MLB, the darker alternates are worn on the road with gray pants. Somewhat keeping with that tradition, the uniform lineup will be a white home jersey, a dark colored road jersey, and a 3rd jersey with the team's secondary color.

3) Colored pants are back for some teams.

4) No more vests. I love vests, but they will just not work with my uniform setup.

5) No more practice jerseys. They're unecessary and, IMO, a marketing ploy.

Here's the teams I'm working on. They will be updated when needed:

1) Baltimore Orioles[Needs Update]

2) Boston Red Sox [Needs Update]

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

#1 - Baltimore Orioles

Baltimore is looking good now-a-days, although I'm not a fan of the cartoon bird. Anyways, I went with a classic look. I wanted orange to be the primary color(in order to separate from the Giants which are more of a black-then-orange team). I updated the scripts so that they are better matching. I also added my oriole logo on the "i" of each one. Here are the scripts:

ej7vhj.png

The logos are as follows:

1) The primary logo has my oriole logo perched on the "i" of an "Orioles" script.

2) The secondary logo has my oriole logo perched on the "i" of a "Baltimore" script.

3) The tertiary logo is the oriole logo by itself.

4) Not too happy about it, but the quarternary logo is an oriole face inside of a roundel.

vfb0z.png

155md0m.png

15p22pf.png

11uf4sp.png

The uniforms are self-explanitory. The logo on the cap is the oriole face from the roundel.

14cs974.png

qsqxlf.png

2cdk2oi.png

C&C would be great guys. Thank you! :D

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

My initial thoughts when looking at it are that the uniforms are not bad, however I think the Oriole on the wordmark is not conveniently placed for the jersey. A lot of MLB players wear their jerseys with those top two buttons un-done, so you are going to end up with a decapitated bird on some looks.

I don't like the hat logo at all, to me it looks like the Memphis Grizzlies logo slimmed down and put on a luchador mask. If you are going to use the front look for the bird, there should be a little more detail to define it as an oriole.

#1 - Baltimore Orioles

Baltimore is looking good now-a-days, although I'm not a fan of the cartoon bird. Anyways, I went with a classic look. I wanted orange to be the primary color(in order to separate from the Giants which are more of a black-then-orange team). I updated the scripts so that they are better matching. I also added my oriole logo on the "i" of each one. Here are the scripts:

ej7vhj.png

The logos are as follows:

1) The primary logo has my oriole logo perched on the "i" of an "Orioles" script.

2) The secondary logo has my oriole logo perched on the "i" of a "Baltimore" script.

3) The tertiary logo is the oriole logo by itself.

4) Not too happy about it, but the quarternary logo is an oriole face inside of a roundel.

vfb0z.png

155md0m.png

15p22pf.png

11uf4sp.png

The uniforms are self-explanitory. The logo on the cap is the oriole face from the roundel.

14cs974.png

qsqxlf.png

2cdk2oi.png

C&C would be great guys. Thank you! :D

I think the front view of the oriole needs work

Jersey strong, Brooklyn ready.

First off, I'm going to be following this series very closely and I love the idea of getting rid of road grays. I considered doing that for my series but in a different way. (Color at home + colored alts at home, white on the road, like football) But anyway, here's what I think of the O's.

This Orioles concept has progressed a lot ever since your first, which I remember from your old thread. There are a few things about it that bug me, however. Firstly, while the bird looks very nice, it looks odd paired with such a simplistic script. The complex bird next to the basic 2-D scripts looks odd, and it also looks weird on the orange jersey because the Oriole is mostly orange. To keep color patterns consistent, something interesting to try could be use an orange script on the orange alternate, that way throughout the set, there's an orange script and bird.

Secondly, while I like the idea of using a bird-head as the cap logo, this one needs work. I'm not sure what it is, but it just doesn't work for me.

Here's my suggested solution, while it may seem unconventional:

Take the detailed bird, which is currently sitting over the script and make it the cap logo. Make a toned down, less detailed version of the bird to put on over the script. While this may seem odd, not having the two birds match, it could better the look of the set.

Both of my ideas, the birds and the orange script on the orange jersey may not turn out to be for the better of the concept, but they are two moves that I think are worth trying.

I look forward to seeing more of this, nice work piratesfan!

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I like the hat and I think the orange jersey actually looks much better than I was expecting. One more suggestion- possibly get rid of the bird sleeve patch. Using it twice on the jersey seems like too much to me. Either go with the Maryland state flag roundel or you could go with no sleeve patch.

Boston Red Sox

While I prefer the red lettering on the road, the Red Sox have some great uniforms presently. I also think the hanging sox logo is a baseball classic, as the Red Sox have sported it in some form for over 80 years. The Red Sox have traditionally been a red and navy team throughout their history. In order to separate themselves from their rival Yankees, I decided to go with a red and green color scheme. It represents the rich irish heritage in Boston and maybe, the Green Monster. There's actually a lot of emphasis on white as well, for red and green are both dark colors which need a border color to separate them from eachother. This gives it more of a streamlined look as well.

Starting out, the colors are red and shamrock green. The primary logo is two red socks crossing each other. The logo itself can have a "Boston" script arching over it. The secondary logo is a recreation of the original Boston logo with a modern script going up instead of down. The tertiary logo is a shamrock inside of the famous WS roundel logo. The quarternary logo is just the shamrock outlined in white and red.

The uniforms are changed. Gone is the traditional placket piping. I would have liked to keep it, but it just doesn't work as well for this concept.

e1eyv4.png

2d7x5ll.jpg

zwf95c.png

6gcz6h.png

502qyu.png

9vfaj7.png

dzh7w3.png

n56j2e.png

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

So you praise the Hanging Sox, and then change them. THEN, you don't even include the new 2-soc logo or any logo version of socks, anywhere on any uniform, but you do a shamrock. These fit the Celtics better than the Red Sox.

Well, I at least want to try and be original here. There's not a lot you can draw on your own for a name like the Red Sox anyway. If I just kept the hanging sox logo, some might take it as lazy. You do have a point about the shamrock being on the uniforms though. Thanks.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Seeing the Red Sox homes without placket piping is very disappointing. This whole concept looks very odd for the Sox- but if I think of it as an expansion team, not the Red Sox we know, I think it looks very nice. Also I would use the crossed-socks logo as for a sleeve patch. Nice job.

So that's why there was no action on your old thread.

Orioles:

The jerseys look great, but the cap logo needs some work. It looks like an owl. A little more detail would greatly help. A big problem is that it's too 2-D. A slightly sngled view would improve the loog greatly.

BoSox:

The red-green is a good idea, but looks too Christmas-y. Make the green darker (like Fox did) and it would look much better. Also, fix the sleeve and pants striping, I'm getting a real Italian feel from it. And while this is a complete suggestion - I don't feel it's necessary at all - maybe try putting the shamrock on the crossed-socks logo (in the middle). IMO that idea has a fair amount of potential.

I love the idea of ditching road jerseys. The MLB needs more colour. When I first thought of doing a series, I had the idea of doing coloured homes (to treat the fans), white roads, and coloured alts; I ditched that idea because I thought it would be met with negative reaction from traditionalists. It's nice to see I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Also here's a Chicago White Sox concept I've been working on. I STILL cannot find a clean version up the home script so I have to go all "Macgyver" and make one out of nothing. This is also heavily inspired by NDWas. Here's a link to his great concept:

I was thinking on ways to be somewhat creative with this. I always thought that a checker-formation would be a great marketing brand for the White Sox. Since Chicago has one of the largest checker-cab association in the U.S., and my Father was a checker-cab driver for Pittsburgh, I've decided that I'll do just that.

Here's the logos. Pretty self-explanitory.

The uniforms are a little different. The White Sox are one of the few teams in MLB that can pull off a white cap. This is also the first set that you've seen where I use colored pants. The reason I use black pants is because it gives them a better opportunity to use...ahem...white socks. White pants with white socks looks drab. The rest is pretty obvious.

spb285.png

1zen7r.png

15yje5z.png

35hmwld.png

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

This looks good. My only complaint would be that the checkers are a bit small. On the path, they'd be indiscernible from a distance. I admire the checkered pants piping - more teams need to get creative in that area.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived