Bernie Nicholls Scoring 70?

ObsoarerFindrL

Bernie Nicholls was a decent player who benefited from Wayne Gretzky joining the Kings that is how he scored 70 goals.

He was not a descent player, he was an under-rated star. He was a pure goal scorer that had little talent around him in LA. What Gretzky did was take the pressure off of Bernie to always score. That year Bernie's line mates were Robitaille and Dave Taylor, while Gretzky was on the first line. Bernie scored 41, 46, 36, 33, and 32 goals before that magical season, while putting up 95, 100, 97, 81, 70 points before that 150 point season. Was that season special? Absolutely, would he have been able to do it again? The next year he was on pace for a 50 goal and 150 points again before being traded at the All Star break. He was a good player, just stuck on some bad teams on the west coast. He was a pure goal scorer that was just magical if you ever saw him play. Very underrated. Ask anyone who played against him or watched him over a period of time and they will tell you how good he was.

He was an underrated player, who had Gretzky bouncing pucks off his back and stick all season long.

That's easily one of my favourite two trivia questions for hockey "Name the 5 players who had 150 point seasons." Most avid hockey fans can name 4/5.

My 2nd favourite question:

"Wayne Gretzky had the most points in the NHL from January 1st, 1980-December 31st 1989. Who had the 2nd most points that decade?"

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Chicago caught Bernie Nicholls toward the end of his career, and he was still a joy to watch.

Speaking of which: Michel Goulet!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Looking at his career I think one day Nichols will get in the Hall.

I hope so. Still waiting on Mark Howe though.

Mark Howe was inducted in the Hall of Fame in November.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived