ESPN using some of our members work

shaydre1019

Totally unexpected answer from my Copyright professor:

If it's true that gladsadmad's photo was Fair Use when he made it, it keeps it's Fair Use status even if he lets ESPN put it on their website, and the original photographer does not have a claim. And it seemed like that applies no matter whether ESPN gave gladsadmad any money to use it or not.

At least, that's what it seemed like to me...

That seems odd to me, given the recent legal precedent set when AP sued Shepard Fairey for making an original drawing (the Obama HOPE poster) based on an AP photo.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally unexpected answer from my Copyright professor:

If it's true that gladsadmad's photo was Fair Use when he made it, it keeps it's Fair Use status even if he lets ESPN put it on their website, and the original photographer does not have a claim. And it seemed like that applies no matter whether ESPN gave gladsadmad any money to use it or not.

At least, that's what it seemed like to me...

That seems odd to me, given the recent legal precedent set when AP sued Shepard Fairey for making an original drawing (the Obama HOPE poster) based on an AP photo.

From what I understand (and I am assuming facts, so take this with a grain of salt)*, the case was about making the poster from the photo for commercial purposes, which is unlikely to be fair use. That case actually applies to gladsadmad's making of his pic from the original Andrew Luck photo, not lestting ESPN use it at a later time. The thing is, at the time of gladsadmad making the photo, he (presumably) was just making it to post here and get our opinion's on it. This is fair use. And since it was fair use at the time of creation, he can still sell it to ESPN.

Again, that's what it seemed like to me, and I could be mistaken.

*I'm 15 minutes away from taking a final, so I don't have time to look it up. but we discussed that case in our class.

And while we're on the topic of creating covers... EA NHL is running this on their fan page:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150833611945996.470837.333387460995&type=1

Very interesting, since they seem to be promoting it.

Jeez, most of those are horrendous, makes us cover guys look bad

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

And while we're on the topic of creating covers... EA NHL is running this on their fan page:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150833611945996.470837.333387460995&type=1

Very interesting, since they seem to be promoting it.

Jeez, most of those are horrendous, makes us cover guys look bad

yeah, i've made just a few covers, nothing crazy, but imo they look a lot better than those. I've learned some pretty cool tricks from some cover guys online.

looks like they just turned up the contrast on all of them.

They're pretty much all crap except these two. They're amazing.

148727_10150840261315996_333387460995_12309924_1776700651_n.jpg533013_10150840261215996_333387460995_12309923_2115959728_n.jpg

EA should hire the guy that did them.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

They're pretty much all crap except these two. They're amazing.

EA should hire the guy that did them.

Yeah I know who made those, he's one of our best guys for hockey covers.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Archived