Possible Jordan Staal locations?

Incase any of you did not know, the Pittsburgh Penguins have stated that they are open to trading away Jordan Staal. Where to, nobody knows. The favorite right now, if he is to be traded, is Carolina, to play with his brother Eric. The thing is, does Carolina really have anything to trade? After looking at their roster, they really don't have much to trade, maybe they could trade Ruutu or Jokinen? I doubt it. Staal would probably be a 3rd line center in Carolina (behind his brother and Skinner, although I thought Skinner was a winger), and Staal wants out of Pittsburgh so he can move out of the 3rd line center position. Another team interested in Jordan Staal is the Buffalo Sabres. I've heard rumors about Staal coming to Buffalo in exchange for Derek Roy and a pick. This would be a good deal for both teams. It gives Roy, who had an underachieving season last year, a change of scenery, and it gives the Sabres a clear cut number one center, something they have needed for a while. One last rumor I have heard is Jordan Staal going to the Edmonton Oilers along with Pittsburgh's first or second round pick, for the first overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. It gives the Oilers a center, but they already have Nugent-Hopkins and Gagner. Overall, I could see Jordan Staal becoming a Buffalo Sabre at the start of the 2012-13 season, so he can be something he really wants to be, a 1st line center. What are your opinions on where Staal will go?

One does not simply beat the Buffalo Sabres... oh wait.

He probably won't go anywhere.

But we also have an offseason thread for this.

I'll say to get him to Calgary i'll give up Jarome Iginla. Straight up.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

One last rumor I have heard is Jordan Staal going to the Edmonton Oilers along with Pittsburgh's first or second round pick, for the first overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

That's not a rumor, that's wishcasting.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If the Blues ownership situation gets resolved as it should soon, they may be interested. Will depend on the asking price.

Who do you think the Blues would have to give up to receive Staal?

Not completely sure. Perhaps any prospect except for Schwartz or Tarasenko. Off the current roster, maybe Stewart or Berglund. I'm just throwing out options. I don't know if they would, I don't know if they should.

Hawks are horribly thin at center and could use Jordan Staal more than any other team I can think of offhand, because most teams in the league bother to have an actual #2 center. Unfortunately, he'd probably cost us far too much, far more than just Stalberg+pick+prospect or whatever, and besides, most GMs won't trade with the Blackhawks anyway because they once dared to fire a general manager for gross incompetence, which apparently you aren't allowed to do when said general manager is old and avuncular and played hockey once, so now our players have to get offer-sheeted and phone calls have to go unreturned. Such is life, I guess.

I'm sure HFBoards.com Leafs fans are suggesting Staal to Toronto for Mike Komisarek and a 5th round pick....

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Well, the Hurricanes are one of those teams that has been operating with no readily apparent purpose for the last few years, as most recently evidenced by fielding a terrible team and then doling out extensions to numerous members of that terrible team rather than trade them for future assets. For Jim Rutherford to acquire Jordan Staal would mean he would have to be cognizant of the fact that the Carolina Hurricanes are a member of the National Hockey League and not just some weird insular vanity project for a dude with a skullet, and I'm not convinced that he is.

Well, the Hurricanes are one of those teams that has been operating with no readily apparent purpose for the last few years, as most recently evidenced by fielding a terrible team and then doling out extensions to numerous members of that terrible team rather than trade them for future assets. For Jim Rutherford to acquire Jordan Staal would mean he would have to be cognizant of the fact that the Carolina Hurricanes are a member of the National Hockey League and not just some weird insular vanity project for a dude with a skullet, and I'm not convinced that he is.

I dunno. He might do it just for the brothers thing. Cuz brothers playing together sounds cool.

He'd probably be unaware of any actual hockey benefits though.

The Sabres arguably have the weakest center core in the league, and I don't mean player skill, I mean someone who can actually WIN A FACEOFF! Roy's a good player, but the Sabres would rather Staal after the season Roy put up.

One does not simply beat the Buffalo Sabres... oh wait.

But really, I doubt Staal's going anywhere. Probably Shero's way Of lighting a fire under his ass...

Jordan Staal is a top-six center on a third line only because the depth chart includes Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Either through his own demands or through the workings of the market, he can't stay with the Penguins forever. Best to move him now when you can get something in return, rather than losing him in unrestricted free agency when his asking price goes through the roof.

The Sabres arguably have the weakest center core in the league, and I don't mean player skill, I mean someone who can actually WIN A FACEOFF! Roy's a good player, but the Sabres would rather Staal after the season Roy put up.

I'll argue that.

Flames have had the weakest centre crop for almost 15 years. When the biggest names you've had are Craig Conroy, Daymond Langkow and Olli Jokinen. You have a problem. Also being dead last in faceoff percentage for the last I don't even know how many years also is a big indication on how terrible your centre play has been. Somehow Iggy's scored 500 goals. He's a hell of a player.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived