Logo Rebrand

vazquez

Been a good time since I last posted on the forum, about a year and a half ago to be exact. I have began to start freelancing while enrolled in college, but I began to sit and ponder my own logo, and I decided to do a re brand of sorts.

My current logo speaks to me as a very professional logo, and all around modern. While I believe nothing is wrong with my current logo, I just felt it was time for a new look.

Below my updated logo is more so a definition and a hidden subtle-ness to it versus my current one. I also feels it represents me as designer, instead of the logo currently used.

I'm always in decessive on fonts so forgive that part and you will see a before and after to the logos. Would like some CC if possible.

Thanks Guys!

subtle.gif

Are you a fisherman? Do you do work for the fishing industry? That's what it screams to me. Design wise it's good, but it tells people that you have something to do with the fishing industry or boating. I don't know how good of a logo that is, unless you are by the ocean/sea, and even still I'm not sure how good of a logo that is.

1337568810' post='1813139']

Are you a fisherman? Do you do work for the fishing industry? That's what it screams to me. Design wise it's good, but it tells people that you have something to do with the fishing industry or boating. I don't know how good of a logo that is, unless you are by the ocean/sea, and even still I'm not sure how good of a logo that is.

My name means anchor actually and I live on the west coast, by the sea, in a sense it works that way.

1337568810' post='1813139']

My name means anchor actually and I live on the west coast, by the sea, in a sense it works that way.

oddball has asked excellent questions regarding the use of your logo. To be honest, I'm not sure what the intent of the "after" logo is either and presume it is related to some sort of seafaring activity.

Total downgrade, IMO. I'm with oddball on this one... I would think you're a sailor. And really, if I didn't know what your name was, this would just be confusing to me. The original was great, so I don't see a need for change here.

If you're gonna use the anchor logo, you need a word mark with it.

Just pretend my crappy ASCI art below is your anchor logo and you'll get my gist.

||

||

||

/\GRAHPICS

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Replying to all, the way I intend on using the logo it makes perfect sense, this is more then a personal logo, its my business, and I hold myself different then others, granted I see the immediate association with water and sea, I wanted that to be jist, to explore. to wonder, so on and so forth, and the anchor is there to help in the rough times, honestly I could give an entire lecture on the purpose of the anchor alas. It is just the logo, it works to me with the wordmark and the way the website is layed out. I appreciate the opinions also would love to hear more constructive criticism as well, I wasn't fearing the execution, but more so the reaction given of others, and I got what I wanted.

Here is a sneakpeak into the site, I threw some of it on webs.com just for showing purposes for my class, none of it works, more image placeholders at this moment.

Take a sneak peak, hectorvazquezjr.webs.com/home.html

I like the cleanness of the website look. The logo kind of works on the website. I think it might work better if it was to the left side of the wordmark and make the wordmark larger. I think the wordmark is too small. Looking at the logo on your website, have you tried or thought about somehow creating an anchor logo using your initials? I'm looking at it and what's not working for me, is the white space between either side of the logo. What about getting ride of the white space and connecting each side of the logo and then using two shades of blue for the anchor? I like the background of why you're using the anchor. Honestly if someone asks you why, just tell them that's what your name translates to and that you live by the sea, so it made it a natural icon to use. Keep the description simple because you brand yourself as a confident professional that will gain you respect.

have you tried or thought about somehow creating an anchor logo using your initials? I'm looking at it and what's not working for me

I agree here.

Keep the description simple because you brand yourself as a confident professional that will gain you respect.

If you have to explain it, it isn't strong eneough IMO. Look at he Pepsi circle etc...

have you tried or thought about somehow creating an anchor logo using your initials? I'm looking at it and what's not working for me

I agree here.

Keep the description simple because you brand yourself as a confident professional that will gain you respect.

If you have to explain it, it isn't strong eneough IMO. Look at he Pepsi circle etc...

That's a terrible example. If I didn't already know what the pepsi logo represented, cola would be very far down on my list of guesses. I might be misinterpreting your intent, though.

Logos don't have to literally represent what they represent, if that makes sense. There's absolutely nothing wrong with an arbitrary logo.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

i actually like the logo and think this concept is a much stronger one than the previous. if you use it with your name and profession it should be fine. i dont think you would look at my logo and instantly think "designer" either. its all about context, and right now we're just looking at the mark by itself.

i would keep it simple though, the way you have it in your avatar is a bit much i think. 2 suggestions:

1. find a better blue color. thats totally based on my personal preference, but i just dont like the pure cyan. something about it screams "cheap" to me

2. work your initials into the logo a bit more clearly. i think it would be better if we can read HV, then see an anchor as opposed to seeing an anchor forst, then an abstract HV

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

i actually like the logo and think this concept is a much stronger one than the previous. if you use it with your name and profession it should be fine. i dont think you would look at my logo and instantly think "designer" either. its all about context, and right now we're just looking at the mark by itself.

i would keep it simple though, the way you have it in your avatar is a bit much i think. 2 suggestions:

1. find a better blue color. thats totally based on my personal preference, but i just dont like the pure cyan. something about it screams "cheap" to me

2. work your initials into the logo a bit more clearly. i think it would be better if we can read HV, then see an anchor as opposed to seeing an anchor forst, then an abstract HV

1. Blue isn't the color, it was just a color for presentation, I'm leaning on a grey as in the website, a darker grey.

2. I'm considering that, but I want my initials to be read last, if I wanted that to be first I'd just type them out. If that makes any sense.

I agree here.

It actually is my initials its not bluntly put out there but they are, its more for one the eye to guess about and interpret your own way.

If I have to explain it, doesn't mean its strong enough, sometimes its a good conversation starter, and if the client asks doesn't mean he just wants it explained, means he is interested in a sense. I would love to enter the mind of the new pepsi logo designer, to ask why, and so forth. But that's just me.

Ditto about point #2. It reads more like "jt" than a vertical "HV" (mostly because of the space in the center and the disconnected "V"). I like the direction youre going for though, however it might just be me, but the dimensions of the logo don't look quite balanced for some reason. I know I'm being nitpicky, but either the center stalk is too tall or the top crossbar is a tad too short or the anchor hooks too narrow, but there's something about it that makes it seem just a tad unbalanced for some reason.

If you want it to represent "HV" perhaps you could extend the crossbar all the way, segment the vertical bars at some point (to establish the H), then taper it to one bar, and segment it again at the bottom, before the "V"

Just a thought..As is, it does read as JT.

On second thought, that will probably make the V look more like a W.

Ditto about point #2. It reads more like "jt" than a vertical "HV" (mostly because of the space in the center and the disconnected "V"). I like the direction youre going for though, however it might just be me, but the dimensions of the logo don't look quite balanced for some reason. I know I'm being nitpicky, but either the center stalk is too tall or the top crossbar is a tad too short or the anchor hooks too narrow, but there's something about it that makes it seem just a tad unbalanced for some reason.

I can see where you are coming from, I am working on second drafts to see what it will look like today. I did base it off an actual anchor and formed the letters off that, may try the opposite.

I agree here.

That's a terrible example. If I didn't already know what the pepsi logo represented, cola would be very far down on my list of guesses. I might be misinterpreting your intent, though.

Logos don't have to literally represent what they represent, if that makes sense. There's absolutely nothing wrong with an arbitrary logo.

Okay, can someone explain to me what the Pepsi globe actually represents and I'm not talking the smile/grin current one.

Your website's presentation is much, much better because the Anchor is also paired with "Hector Vazquez Graphic Design."

By itself, I feel that the Anchor is adrift (pardon the sea metaphor), but your wordmark anchors the Anchor.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I agree here.

Okay, can someone explain to me what the Pepsi globe actually represents and I'm not talking the smile/grin current one.

pepsiLogoBlowatlife.jpg

^You can't unsee this, I just laugh at the logo now. In all seriousness, I think it originated around WWII merely as a way to show patriotism on the caps of the bottles, no?

Archived