Altered Nike football template // Promotes creativity // TEMPLATE NOW UP!

aawagner011

Hey guys,

I've augmented Andrew Harrington's PC template into something that I am going to be playing around with over the next few days. One of the things that bothers me the most about concepts on here is that often times it feels like there can be a lack of creativity from users because they always try to shoehorn a design into Nike's template. This leads to many concepts looking identical to one another as they look very cookie cutter.

I wanted to create a template which promotes creativity and also solves some problems. I've liked the way Nike has used the mesh side panels of their pants as essentially a place for "sublimating" designs. I saw how well it translated to the NFL's traditional pants designs. I figured that I could continue that same technology to the sleeves where most designs are found on the jerseys. I have altered many of the seams to essentially create a mesh panel that wraps around the entire sleeve and beneath the armpits. I think this gives a much larger space for more free design.

However, it also provides functional value. This new template helps allow for designs like traditional shoulder loops. Because the designs will now be sublimated into the mesh, there are no stitched loops of different material and they can (mostly) wrap around now. While only one of the loops fully wraps around, I think this will still properly convey the look of the loops (similar to the idea of the 49ers, except their execution was poor).

I will probably post some concepts using this new template, but for now I thought I'd throw out a Colts set to see how it looks and functions. I wanted to get some thoughts on it. I think something like this could allow for a lot more creativity while also serving a practical use. I also think it could translate VERY well into turning teams like the Falcons (who didn't switch over to the new jerseys) into the new Speed Machines.

25qvnl2.png

PS- edited the title to better reflect the subject matter. Didn't want to infer that I had designed the template myself. It is more of an adaptation of the previous design by AH to an idea I had.

PPS- The template download is now available!

I have gotten permission from Andrew Harrington to post his modified template on the boards. I've cleaned a few internal things up since that blank blue uniform, so this red jersey version is the new template. Again, this is based off of AH's rendering of the Nike Pro Combat cut. The changes I've personally made include additions like the collar to include the new Flywire, the full pants length mesh to allow for full striping, new mesh sleeve/side panels to allow for a vast area of graphic designs, and a new cut for the upper back mesh.

As I said in earlier posts, the new sleeve mesh areas are designed for sublimated graphics and do not feature fabric inserts. You can see this in the Colts and Falcons mock ups. All those graphics are sublimated.

Here is a link to the download for the template. It is in .SVG file form and is compatible with Inkscape. I do not know about the compatibility with Illustrator as I do not have Illustrator, but perhaps some of our fellow board members can help figure that out.

This is the SVG file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ou9f1cvs12my3ul

This is a PDF file, which I believe opens in AI:

And here is a preview of the template.

2ufbu38.png

Kinda. I altered the pants to allow for full length striping, inserted the Flywire collar, altered the sleeve cuts (which are now mesh), and changed the mesh near the nameplate. It's more of the idea behind it than anything else. I thought it could be a great way of a template system that allows many teams to still translate their uniforms over seamlessly with little visual differences, while also providing functional value in solving issues like the shoulder loops for teams like the Colts and Jets. I'm about to post the Falcons so you can see how they translate to a PC/Speed Machine like Nike template (since they didn't upgrade to the new stuff). It's about the idea of sublimated graphics like the Nike pants also being utilized on the sleeves.

Probably, though I was hoping to get a few more comments to feel out what people actually think about the practicality of it. So I'll still feel it out for now.

Here is a mock up of the Falcons I've done using this template. You can see how a team with a modern template can now translate over seamlessly to the new Nike templates (since the actual new uniforms will still be the same materials and construction as before). There are no seams or panels within the mesh sleeve panels. All graphics are sublimated into the mesh. I think this allows for a lot of free space for design, while also providing a practical use.

I like to think of these mesh sleeves as essentially "blank canvases" for all types of creative design. It could allow a whole new type of innovative football designs that do not necessarily have to adhere to a template.

289hk05.png

I would make the mesh dots appear lighter. That seems to be the attention-getter on the uniforms for me, so maybe making them a light grey or something would make this better.

Sorry if you said this already, but what program is this made for?

spacer.png

I would make the mesh dots appear lighter. That seems to be the attention-getter on the uniforms for me, so maybe making them a light grey or something would make this better.

Sorry if you said this already, but what program is this made for?

Thanks for the comment. I, too, thought that the sleeve graphics looked compromised by the overexposed mesh graphic. That was the original setting the template was set at and I figured everyone is used to it now as AH's template is the most often used. I think I will go back and tone them down, despite that.

And the program this is used for is Inkscape, it is in SVG file type.

Here is the toned down mesh.

30tpaxd.png

AA? I usually just set the mesh transparency to Multiply, since that shows up best on all colors (except black, you have to work with that a little bit. Probably the easiest way to fix that mesh issue so that it looks nice across all colors. Other than that, I like the update. I'd be curious to see the sleeves in real life, though. Might look a little odd with some of the striping patterns teams use.

How could this work if shoulder tv numbers have to be stitched to regular fabric and mesh at the same time? Seems like it would be a problem to me.

It's no different than their current templates which usually feature the front and back numbers overlapping the regular and mesh fabrics.

9202f1c917dbc8e085900043b002b71a.jpg

AA? I usually just set the mesh transparency to Multiply, since that shows up best on all colors (except black, you have to work with that a little bit. Probably the easiest way to fix that mesh issue so that it looks nice across all colors. Other than that, I like the update. I'd be curious to see the sleeves in real life, though. Might look a little odd with some of the striping patterns teams use.

I use the Multiply effect as well. I've found that on black and other darker colors, switching the seam lines to white and setting the Difference effect at about 35%, and applying the Exclusion effect to the mesh (depending on how the mesh was created?doesn't always work) gives me the desired overall effect I aim for.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I use the Multiply effect as well. I've found that on black and other darker colors, switching the seam lines to white and setting the Difference effect at about 35%, and applying the Exclusion effect to the mesh (depending on how the mesh was created?doesn't always work) gives me the desired overall effect I aim for.

Great minds think alike :)

Hello again everyone!!

I have gotten permission from Andrew Harrington to post his modified template on the boards. I've cleaned a few internal things up since that blank blue uniform, so this red jersey version is the new template. Again, this is based off of AH's rendering of the Nike Pro Combat cut. The changes I've personally made include additions like the collar to include the new Flywire, the full pants length mesh to allow for full striping, new mesh sleeve/side panels to allow for a vast area of graphic designs, and a new cut for the upper back mesh.

As I said in earlier posts, the new sleeve mesh areas are designed for sublimated graphics and do not feature fabric inserts. You can see this in the Colts and Falcons mock ups. All those graphics are sublimated.

Here is a link to the download for the template. It is in .SVG file form and is compatible with Inkscape. I do not know about the compatibility with Illustrator as I do not have Illustrator, but perhaps some of our fellow board members can help figure that out.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ou9f1cvs12my3ul

And here is a preview of the template.

2ufbu38.png

(Side note)- if you downloaded it in about the 15 min window from about 8:45 til 9:00, redownload the new file. I had to correct an error. It should be good to go now.

Archived