Why did Gordie Howe get his full name on his Whalers sweater?

AndrewPF

Because his sons Mark and Marty were on the Whalers with him at the same time, and instead of just using initials they decided to go the full route.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I like how some of teams handle players with the same name, they just put the last name on the back without the initial, like the AJ Ellis and Mark Ellis of the LA Dodgers. The fans know who is who.

I was just about to agree, but then I realized how much better I like jerseys without names. Programs exist for a reason, and now we have smartphones and the internet. Maybe it's time to remove the unnecessary clutter.

They shouldnt have put his full name on it, not even an initial. If you cant tell hes the one with the white hair you need glasses.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I never knew the need for an initial, an abbreviation, or anything. Shouldn't "Smith (for example) and a different number let you know who's who?

KISSwall09.jpg

They shouldnt have put his full name on it, not even an initial. If you cant tell hes the one with the white hair you need glasses.

Speaking of hair, when'd the NHL mandate helmets as necessary equipment?

They grandfathered it in starting in 1979. He never wore a helmet. Last player to not wear a helmet? Craig MacTavish. 1997.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Craig MacTavish, as committed to safety on the ice as he was off the ice.

I have no problem with names on hockey sweaters, though the Maple Leafs could have pulled off NNOB indefinitely had the league not forced them, kicking and screaming, into using nameplates.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

BECAUSE HE'S GORDIE F***ING HOWE!!!

Good answer! ^_^

Too bad they couldn't fit all THAT on the sweater!

We really need a CCSLC store. That shirt would be sweet!

GORDIE

F***ING

HOWE (Pucky logo)

nVBDb.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I miss sports identities that didn't take themselves so damn seriously. Between Pucky the Whale and the muhfuhhin' Brass Bonanza, the Whalers sure had just that. Sigh.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Awesome!! Do you mind if I use it as an avatar?

Go for it.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I like how some of teams handle players with the same name, they just put the last name on the back without the initial, like the AJ Ellis and Mark Ellis of the LA Dodgers. The fans know who is who.

When the Sharks traded for Joe Thornton, they also had his cousin Scott. Neither of them used an initial in front with that exact thing being the reason.

tn_CoorsDog.jpgSharks_signature.jpgtn_five_hole_design_logo_copy.jpg

I should also note that the Howes did the game thing when they all played with the Houston Aeros in the WHA, so it really started there.

gordie-howe_display_image.jpg?1288028074

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I think San Francisco did the same with Steve and Bryant Young. Don't know many people who mixed those two up.

I never knew the need for an initial, an abbreviation, or anything. Shouldn't "Smith (for example) and a different number let you know who's who?

I've always thought the same thing.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Archived