Why did Gordie Howe get his full name on his Whalers sweater?

AndrewPF

I like how some of teams handle players with the same name, they just put the last name on the back without the initial, like the AJ Ellis and Mark Ellis of the LA Dodgers. The fans know who is who.

I was just about to agree, but then I realized how much better I like jerseys without names. Programs exist for a reason, and now we have smartphones and the internet. Maybe it's time to remove the unnecessary clutter.

I never knew the need for an initial, an abbreviation, or anything. Shouldn't "Smith (for example) and a different number let you know who's who?

They shouldnt have put his full name on it, not even an initial. If you cant tell hes the one with the white hair you need glasses.

Speaking of hair, when'd the NHL mandate helmets as necessary equipment?

Craig MacTavish, as committed to safety on the ice as he was off the ice.

I have no problem with names on hockey sweaters, though the Maple Leafs could have pulled off NNOB indefinitely had the league not forced them, kicking and screaming, into using nameplates.

I like how some of teams handle players with the same name, they just put the last name on the back without the initial, like the AJ Ellis and Mark Ellis of the LA Dodgers. The fans know who is who.

When the Sharks traded for Joe Thornton, they also had his cousin Scott. Neither of them used an initial in front with that exact thing being the reason.

I think San Francisco did the same with Steve and Bryant Young. Don't know many people who mixed those two up.

I never knew the need for an initial, an abbreviation, or anything. Shouldn't "Smith (for example) and a different number let you know who's who?

I've always thought the same thing.

Archived