Tampa Bay Lightning concept tips

CS85

First off, here's where I am right now with this thing:

tumblr_ma6hx1IK9N1r2k0eto1_500.png

tjdkH.png

I like the color scheme I'm using but I'm wanting to genuinely shape this one into a full concept.

Here's what I want to know:

• Roundel, shield, or random crest?
  • Do the angled pewter lines work?
  • Too many colors? Not enough contrast?
  • The stripe pattern (on the side): does it suck?
  • Wordmark: swing and a miss?

Any other random tidbits would be appreciated.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Remove the Second blue. I think that wil make this look more like the Lightning should, not the way they look now (Maple Leafs-y)

That's my problem (along with everyone else) with all of them. By not completing the collar it makes it 1 billion times sillier looking.

I really like the angled lines, its a great representation of rain without going overboard. Perhaps play around with the weight and spacing of the lines a bit more.

1. The black/pewter looks a bit washed out.

2. The little notch in the upper left of the bolt where it connects to the circle looks a bit odd.

Good start!

I like where it's headed so far...

To add to Funkatron's comment, I'm thinking the lines should flare "SW" in the current way. Also, try experimenting with orienting the lines opposite the bolt's direction. (For that, flare the lines "SE.")

As for the "second blue," it actually can work. The aforementioned rain lines and the shadow/outline of roundel and bolt cannot be the same color; the darker blue would be perfect for one of those elements. [447]

This logo is one of the best Lightning Concepts I've seen on these boards in quite some time. Says everything it needs to say and the way it's rendered is very stylish. The only thing I would change is making the inner circle either solid black or maybe even metallic silver. The lines are nice but it's hard to imagine them being visible if this logo was used on the ice.

The word mark is also very stylish, maybe just simplify the amount of colours/shading.

Thanks for the C & C!!

I'm going to pick at this some tomorrow using the advice you guys provided, not sure about putting it on a uniform template just yet, however.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I don't know. To be honest, I don't think this is a very good sports logo. It looks weak and uninspiring. This isn't really a knock on your work, since you're trying to improve on base that they already have, but I think the only way to improve that logo is to come up with something entirely different.

I'll have to agree with Patchey here. The execution is great and the look you're going for comes off great, but I don't see a sports logo. It would make a fantastic company logo or merchandise logo, but I just don't see a professional sports team using this.

OttawaSenators.png

I'll have to agree with Patchey here. The execution is great and the look you're going for comes off great, but I don't see a sports logo. It would make a fantastic company logo or merchandise logo, but I just don't see a professional sports team using this.

Since the update there's been two posts that have told me what it isn't, but offered nothing constructive regarding how to improve it.

And people wonder why this part of the board suffers.

No offense guys, but if you're going to give feedback on a concept at least provide me examples of what could make it better or what you would aim for regarding what makes a good sports logo. It's like telling a chef you don't like his cake because it doesn't taste cake-y enough.

twitter

Since the update there's been two posts that have told me what it isn't, but offered nothing constructive regarding how to improve it.

We did tell you how to improve it. I said that I don't see anyway you can vastly improve this concept, because it's just not a very strong mark. Which is why I said it would be best to start over in this particular instance.

And people wonder why this part of the board suffers.

No offense guys, but if you're going to give feedback on a concept at least provide me examples of what could make it better or what you would aim for regarding what makes a good sports logo. It's like telling a chef you don't like his cake because it doesn't taste cake-y enough.

I take a little offense to this comment, because I find I'm one of the few posters that regularly goes around giving feedback on concepts, because I know what it's like to work hard on something, and get two replies. I see Xodius giving his input as well.

Look, if you want something more 'constructive' here you go. The plain circle lightning bolt just isn't going to work. It doesn't work as the identity of the Tampa Bay Lightning, and it doesn't work in this concept. I DO like the inclusion of the pewter stripes, and I would definitely like to see you include them in whatever update you post for this concept.

We aren't being harsh on you for the sake of being dicks, but this isn't a HUGE change over a logo that is generally disliked in the community for being bland, uninspiring and weak. You did make improvements in some areas, but overall I don't see this becoming an amazing concept unless you either pull something amazingly creative and inspiring out of your ass, or take it in another direction.

I know it sucks to hear it, but we've all been there as designers and it's part of the fun. Keep up the good work and I'll definitely be back to check up on this. :)

I'd like to tell you what to add and how to improve but it's difficult. That's the difficulty of design. It's subjective. I may be wrong and you have every right to dismiss my opinion, but I can't tell you how to improve on this because I honestly don't know how I would.

Like Patchey said, it looks uninspired and weak. The current Lightning logo doesn't use a traditional circle, but instead uses an oval to convey movement, and speed. Along with that, it includes varying widths and strokes to perhaps show how bold it is. Those are the positives I take from the current logo that I would consider implementing with this concept.

OttawaSenators.png

I'd like to tell you what to add and how to improve but it's difficult. That's the difficulty of design. It's subjective. I may be wrong and you have every right to dismiss my opinion, but I can't tell you how to improve on this because I honestly don't know how I would.

Like Patchey said, it looks uninspired and weak. The current Lightning logo doesn't use a traditional circle, but instead uses an oval to convey movement, and speed. Along with that, it includes varying widths and strokes to perhaps show how bold it is. Those are the positives I take from the current logo that I would consider implementing with this concept.

And it still doesn't do it very well. That's what I've been trying to say. Your concept is based on a weak identity to begin with, so it will be tough to take it to higher places.

We did tell you how to improve it. I said that I don't see anyway you can vastly improve this concept, because it's just not a very strong mark. Which is why I said it would be best to start over in this particular instance.

If the idea, in your eyes, is entirely unfixable, what good is "back to the drawing board?" Just saying, I'm doing this for recreation, not to woo the Lightning into changing their look. If I wanted to do something groundbreaking and earth-shattering in it's originality, I would've done that.

I take a little offense to this comment, because I find I'm one of the few posters that regularly goes around giving feedback on concepts, because I know what it's like to work hard on something, and get two replies. I see Xodius giving his input as well.

Look, if you want something more 'constructive' here you go. The plain circle lightning bolt just isn't going to work. It doesn't work as the identity of the Tampa Bay Lightning, and it doesn't work in this concept. I DO like the inclusion of the pewter stripes, and I would definitely like to see you include them in whatever update you post for this concept.

We aren't being harsh on you for the sake of being dicks, but this isn't a HUGE change over a logo that is generally disliked in the community for being bland, uninspiring and weak. You did make improvements in some areas, but overall I don't see this becoming an amazing concept unless you either pull something amazingly creative and inspiring out of your ass, or take it in another direction.

I know it sucks to hear it, but we've all been there as designers and it's part of the fun. Keep up the good work and I'll definitely be back to check up on this. :)

My ass is entirely void of great ideas at the moment (it is full of feces, however, which I often integrate into my designs), and I was never aiming for anything amazing...maybe that was part of the problem. I'm not davidson, and great logos don't swim around in my noggin. Perhaps the problem was I submitted this for criticism far too early in the process. I dunno.

Basically the point is that I clearly wasn't aiming to unleash the Mona Lisa of hockey concepts, and didn't realize that maybe I should've set the bar higher.

***and kudos to both of you guys, sorry if I came off as butthurt***

twitter

I preferred the first rendition. If you could make that somehow 'bolder' and with bigger pewter lines still going that direction, I think you could have something. When you rotated the lines 90 degrees, it seemed to lose a lot of 'speed'.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Archived