Deconstructing the Brooklyn Nets logo

Axis_of_Weasel

?We Brooklyn-ized who we are, which I think is critical,? said Brett Yormark, chief executive of the Nets and Barclays Center, and a former Nascar executive. ?The goal is to become a lifestyle brand. We want to transcend sports. We want people to consume us as often as possible.?

Ugh, the Yormarks are like caricatures of marketing executives at this point. "Consume us."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

_

_Ugh, the Yormarks are like caricatures of marketing executives at this point. "Consume us."

_

_Its exactly what's happening though. The Nets have basically become as much a fashion brand as a sports brand at this point. So whatever he did, it worked.

_

_

_and it's unabashedly honest. i'm not saying it's necessarily a good thing, but it's always refreshing for me to see someone just flat out say, "yeah, we want to infiltrate your wallet as much as possible." at least it doesn't come off as some disingenuous way to disguise their true motives.

sig2024.png

The Spurs already wear black and white with a little bit of silver, so I don't think it's that revolutionary in the first place. And the White Sox did the whole "wear black and white to be fashionable beyond the purview of a secondary sports team" thing 22 years ago. Both teams, however, have pretty good uniforms and logos. These Nets logos are fundamentally flawed designs. I just don't get why everyone's gushing over this.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

_The Spurs already wear black and white with a little bit of silver, so I don't think it's that revolutionary in the first place. And the White Sox did the whole "wear black and white to be fashionable beyond the purview of a secondary sports team" thing 22 years ago. Both teams, however, have pretty good uniforms and logos. These Nets logos are fundamentally flawed designs. I just don't get why everyone's gushing over this.

_

_I think the Bierut guy in the article sums it up pretty well:

_

_

Mr. Bierut, who has served as a branding consultant to the Jets, described the Nets? new logo as iconic in the same way. ?It has a rawness to it. It feels urban. It?s not fussy. It?s not fancy.?

_

_Now that we're all used to looking at it, the clumsiness of the execution of the logo actually ends up endearing in some ways.

_The Spurs already wear black and white with a little bit of silver, so I don't think it's that revolutionary in the first place. And the White Sox did the whole "wear black and white to be fashionable beyond the purview of a secondary sports team" thing 22 years ago. Both teams, however, have pretty good uniforms and logos. These Nets logos are fundamentally flawed designs. I just don't get why everyone's gushing over this.

_

_

_because the nets' PR department is crushing it.

_

_that's essentially the only reason.

sig2024.png

_It's easy for them to "crush it" when they're working with such a gorgeous set of logos...

_

_

_i think it's a little bit of A, little bit of B. just looking at it in a non-partisan way (i'm a nets fan and like the new identity), the whole branding effort has been insanely well done. and i think the PR department has worked in lock-step with it.

_

_i think there's also an X factor here that the storytellers of the times, etc love telling the jay-z rags-to-riches story, so that's helped get them some very favorable positioning for the new brand as well.

sig2024.png

Ugh, the Yormarks are like caricatures of marketing executives at this point. "Consume us."

Its exactly what's happening though. The Nets have basically become as much a fashion brand as a sports brand at this point. So whatever he did, it worked.

The Brooklyn brand has existed well before the Nets moved. They just stole it for themselves. I have no data on the matter, but I'd be willing to be that they are top sellers in the NBA store more for the Brooklyn brand than for the Nets brand.

The Brooklyn brand has existed well before the Nets moved. They just stole it for themselves. I have no data on the matter, but I'd be willing to be that they are top sellers in the NBA store more for the Brooklyn brand than for the Nets brand.

They "stole" the brand? Ok...

But anyway, I don't have hard data on this, but the popularity of the "Nets shield" cap, as far as what Ive seen people wear, seems to indicate that it's not just the Brooklyn brand that is selling things.

Deconstructing the Brooklyn Nets logo? It looks like a beginner graphic artist drew this.... Black-and-white colors, unimaginative logo, plain fonts, etc. Because of Jay-Z's involvement, It could've been a picture of excrement and people would've bought it because of Jay-Z's name.

Deconstructing the Brooklyn Nets logo? It looks like a beginner graphic artist drew this.... Black-and-white colors, unimaginative logo, plain fonts, etc. Because of Jay-Z's involvement, It could've been a picture of excrement and people would've bought it because of Jay-Z's name.

Was going to write a scathing reponse pondering why something as generic and uninspired as this logo needed a deconstruction but I think you pretty much nailed it.

Archived