The USA playing cricket

Saintsfan

This might be old news but the USA is playing in the ICC Champions Trophy in England in September! This is the second most important one day competition in International cricket and represents a big step forward for cricket in the States. Obviously they are gonna get the asses kicked but the competition will be good for them!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I saw an article about this in the NY Times. Apparently, a majority of the Cricket in America is played in New York City and American cricket fans are hoping to eventually overtake professional soccer in popularity here in the States (modest goal, no?).

When it's nice out, a lot of the international grad students at my school have a cricket game (or match?) on the quad. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me...

no offence, but the mother country is going to give u a beeting.

Actually its highly unlikely that the US will play England! The USA are in a group with Australia (by far the best cricket team in the world right now) and New Zealand, and would have to win both of those games to go through to the semi finals!

For anyone sufficiently interested here is the story of how the USA qualified

http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/N...TROPHY/USA.html

Clayton Lambert is the captain/coach of the team and has played test cricket for the West Indies. The rest of the team are less good!! But anyway good luck to them!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Oh and here is another cricket story for you Yanks- the first pro cricket league is starting up in the USA. Its using 20 20 rules, which is 20 overs a side (kind of like 20 at bats as the best comparison I can make, an over is 6 deliveries bowled by one bowler! Each bowler will get 4 overs in the pro cricket league!) teams from New York, Jersey, DC, Florida, chicago, San Francisco, LA and Texas will be competing. Matches last about 3-3 1/2 hours and are all action in this form of the game! here is the link!

http://www.procricket.com/

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Well it's gonna be a LOOOOOOONG time until the US becomes a Test playing nation (especially if the Zimbabwe situation deters the ICC from granting membership to 'developing' (in cricket terms) countries), but it's always good to see more countries get involved in the great game of cricket.

Well it's gonna be a LOOOOOOONG time until the US becomes a Test playing nation (especially if the Zimbabwe situation deters the ICC from granting membership to 'developing' (in cricket terms) countries), but it's always good to see more countries get involved in the great game of cricket.

With Bangladesh's form it will be a while I think. The ICC have realised they have to develop nations a bit more. Hence they have started another competition the USA (and Canada as well as others) are in called the ICC intercontinental championship, its sort of a second division of test playing nations.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

DC Forward? WTF?

Nevertheless, I hopw that the league does well. There is a LARGE East Indian population in the Toronto area (ESPECIALLY BRAMPTON) and they might be really popular if they expand/relocate to Toronto. I can't see people from Texas watching cricket, let alone a team called the Arrow Heads :blink:

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

One last cricket post from me! (for now!!) First of all an article in a florida paper recently

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/conten...d3e0e81060.html

I found it quite funny, as a brit reading about an americans views on a cricket game. Also it mentions the fact which has been knocking around for a while that a game or two in the Cricket World Cup of 2007 (hosted by the West Indies) might be played in Florida.

If you are near a Pro cricket league team and fancy going along don't be out off by the prosaic sounding play in the article. The version of cricket being played in the pro cricket league is very different- lasts about the same length of time as a baseball game, and the play comes thick and fast.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

People do, but as someone who enjoys the odd day at a cricket game, you don't always go to watch a full game, its difficult to explain to someone who isn't used to the culture of cricket, but just being able to watch one day of a cricket game is great- sun, beer and sports what more could a man want! Its a great stress free atmosphere. But hey Iwouldn't expect Americans to understand!!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Well come on... who's going to go to a cricket field three days in a row to watch ONE GAME?

Just about the entire populations of England, Australia, New Zealand, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, and South Africa... :P

Seriously, there's very rarely a Test that isn't completely sold out in Australia, and I assume it's the same for the other big cricket nations. Of course, when we're playing second rate competition, the games are less popular... but when 'real' countries are playing there's always a full house.

I think in India they regularly get 130,000 people to Test matches (and they're the 5 day internationals, not the shortened 3 or 4 day formats).

So it's a pretty darn popular game. I hope it takes off in the U.S.

Archived