2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

Hey, you know what would be great? Let's stop pretending that the owners are brilliant people with impeccable judgment and a flawless sense for the game. Because frequently they're just as much an idiot as the coach they just fired.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And, to reiterate it, that sounds just like the crap I hear from the feminist movements, punishing the male gender for injustices that existed a hundred years ago. You know, crimes committed by people who are dead, and people of today suffer for it.

Discrimination is discrimination. There is no justifying it.

spacer.png

Hey, you know what would be great? Let's stop pretending that the owners are brilliant people with impeccable judgment and a flawless sense for the game. Because frequently they're just as much an idiot as the coach they just fired.

I don't think this happened.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't think this happened.

It's kind of implied with the continued harping on "the owner hired the best candidate".

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's not even the owners who usually do the hiring. It was a big story this time around that the Bears' GM was allowed to hire a coach without McCaskey meddling (though I still suspect there was anyway).

So other than making sure that Rooney Rule interviews are substantive, what do they do?

So other than making sure that Rooney Rule interviews are substantive, what do they do?

Not sure. I'm of the opinion that one of the root issues here is a general lack of African American coordinators, but addressing that means you start hassling the "frat brothers" of the coaches, and hello dysfunctional sideline. What do you do with one of the few remaining professions where nepotism and variants thereof is enshrined and protected?

Today, we are all otaku.

Before anybody goes off on a rant, let me preface this by saying I fully support the Rooney Rule. However, if a team wants to hire Chip Kelly, they're gonna hire Chip Kelly. Ain't no amount of Rooney Rules changing that.

Purely from a business perspective, why on Earth would they waste their time interviewing someone they KNOW they're not going to hire?!

Sigs are for sissies.

Not sure. I'm of the opinion that one of the root issues here is a general lack of African American coordinators, but addressing that means you start hassling the "frat brothers" of the coaches, and hello dysfunctional sideline. What do you do with one of the few remaining professions where nepotism and variants thereof is enshrined and protected?

There is really only one recourse and that is through the courts. As we have seen regarding hiring discrimination cases for under represented minorities, that is the avenue for change which actually has an impact. The owners do not believe in the spirit of the "Rooney Rule", so they are not going to really care. That is why Rob Chudzinski, who was fired from CLE twice, is now considered a savior for the club. Yet Cam Newton did more fro him than he did for Newton.

That is why the much-maligned Andy Reid is sought after even though on this board, he (and Norv Turner) was criticized as much as any NFL HC while I have been a member.

That is why in 2007 the Dolphins hired Cam Cameron who was 18-37 in his collegiate coaching career at IU and a Dolphins team employee thought that Mike Tomlin was, "too hip-hop".

When Al Campanis went on "Nightline" in 1987 and questioned the abilities of minorities in terms of managing/coaching such thoughts did not end with him as seen mostly in football at both the NCAA and NFL. Personally, owners still have some deep rooted thoughts that minorities are not as smart.

I'm sure some who build their own businesses, especially those with the money and power necessary to own an NFL team, feel they have the right to hire who they wish to hire. Put yourself in their place and ask yourself whether you'd want the league or whoever else telling you what to do. Nobody likes to be told what to do.

Not saying they're right but that has to figure into all this.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I'm sure some who build their own businesses, especially those with the money and power necessary to own an NFL team, feel they have the right to hire who they wish to hire. Put yourself in their place and ask yourself whether you'd want the league or whoever else telling you what to do. Nobody likes to be told what to do.

It's a private organization; you're decision to purchase membership in it was entirely voluntary and therefore any complaints about rules from ownership should be viewed in that context.

Today, we are all otaku.

File this one under "bittersweet" I guess...

===

Atlanta Falcons safeties Thomas DeCoud and William Moore are going to the Pro Bowl.

The team announced Monday the two alternates have been added to the NFC's Pro Bowl roster to replace San Francisco's Dashon Goldson and Donte Whitner, who are headed to the Super Bowl.

===

@McCarthy...I wish.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

However their non-football businesses still must follow state and federal laws regarding a fair hiring process.

The current HC and coordinator processes really do not seem fair.

If you look at the TIDES grades for each sport, the NFL teams are clearly behind the curve in terms of hiring, while the league office is above it in terms of race and gender.

They didn't build that. ;)

With very few exceptions, they came into a league that was already flush with money and influence. They benefit more from being in the club than the NFL does from their presence.

Certainly these titans of industry have the good business sense to realize when they're part of a good thing.

The Halas/McCaskey family can be traced back to the beginning of the NFL. They did build that. And they're bumbling idiots. I don't know if this proves or disproves anything, just throwing it out there.

However their non-football businesses still must follow state and federal laws regarding a fair hiring process.

The current HC and coordinator processes really do not seem fair.

If you look at the TIDES grades for each sport, the NFL teams are clearly behind the curve in terms of hiring, while the league office is above it in terms of race and gender.

That's not all that surprising when you consider how disproportionately black the NFL was for so long, yet struggled to get black quarterbacks in numbers that reflected their proportion to the general population.

And no, I'm definitely NOT advocating for formal quotas... just an observation.

The Halas/McCaskey family can be traced back to the beginning of the NFL. They did build that. And they're bumbling idiots. I don't know if this proves or disproves anything, just throwing it out there.

They didn't build anything. They inherited it. More people born on third base who somehow thought they hit a triple.

Now that I think about it, maybe all the owners who could plausibly have made that claim are dead. Keep forgetting that Wellington Mara passed away.

Archived