Open Wheel Racing Chat 2013

rvrdgsfn

I gotta admit, I am really excited to watch IndyCar this season! Looks like A.J. Allmendinger is a shoe-in to drive the #2 Penske car this season. I do think he will score 4+ podiums, as well as one win.

Still betting that Franchitti will win the championship.

No way id say its a PRIME year for the mayor!!! I think Franchitti will bounce back but not to his old form. RHR and im gonna take a stab and say Dixon will be the other main title contenders!!! cant wait for 2014 hopefully more of the "old" CART tracks(cleveland, RA, Portland, Laguna and this is prob a pipe dream but Surfers Paradise)or new venues with the contracts with other races expering , im expecting some shakeup in that dept.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was reading this article about how rumors are abound that Nascar is going to buy IMS....

http://shakedown.kinja.com/nascar-will-buy-indy-379977093

But part of kind of drew my attention....

When NASCAR bought the ALMS, they got its premier tracks, too - Road Atlanta and Sebring. This time, by acquiring the premier venue [iMS] NASCAR likely backs into owning the IndyCar Series. Think of it as a 230mph housewarming gift.

IMO, it's not IF, this buy / sell will happen, it's when. The rumor about 'now' could be true. But, not likely to happen now. Because the Indy Senate's $100MM Improvement Grants beat back any need for a buyout.

How about 2015? After the ALMS-Grand-Am consolidation is set. After NASCAR has rebounded. After INDYCAR flounders a bit more. After the 500 and 400 attendance $$ keep dropping off. Yeah, the value of the property improvements will keep the price strong, but by 2015, the seller will be 'motivated'. Really motivated.

In all honesty, if this helps IndyCar, I would be for it.

baltimoreravens.png

BUMP for some news....

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/02/26/nissan-announces-electric-le-mans-entry-for-2014/

Nissan will return to the Le Mans 24 Hours with a new Garage 56 entry in 2014 as it gears up for a future LMP1 assault.

Although giving away little away at the announcement of the entry, the Japanese manufacturer is promising to incorporate “electric technology” in its car, which does not have to comply to the existing prototype regulations under the ‘experimental’ Garage 56 concept.

The car’s development is being led by Nissan’s performance arm Nismo, whose new Tokyo headquarters were used to launch the campaign.

Renault shows off 2014 F1 engine....

Renault-F1-Motor-2014-V6-19-fotoshowImageNew-23f39819-663798.jpg

They're also hoping to supply fewer teams, maybe finally get some other auto manufactures in...

http://www.racer.com/renault-hoping-to-supply-fewer-f1-teams/article/281804/

Renault is eager to reduce the number of customer teams it supplies in Formula 1, dismissing talk that it could provide engines to half the grid.

Amid uncertainty about the engine plans for a number of teams for the switch to V6 turbo engines in 2014, Renault said on Monday that it was keen not to spread its supply too thinly.

baltimoreravens.png

Bumping for the 2nd rumor that will refuse to die.... Only I hope this one is legit...

http://www.yallaf1.com/2013/02/26/honda-may-have-secret-f1-turbo-engine-project-in-progress/

"Honda may already be working on a Formula 1 turbo engine project for 2014.

When revealing its all-new turbo V6 ‘power unit’ for next year near Paris on Monday, Renault’s Jean-Michel Jalinier said he definitely expects more engine makers to enter F1 under the 2014 rules."

The German-language Speed Week reports that Frenchman Gilles Simon, Ferrari’s engine boss during the ultra-successful Jean Todt era, could already be working with Honda.

Of course the front runner is once again... McLaren. I would welcome Honda back with open arms.

baltimoreravens.png

Wait no if hulk never got the main seat HE would of prob been the reserve driver right? But I'm a hulk fan so..... Changing gears, anybody read the ims report? What a big waste of money really. Oh and my Indy car top 5 this year:

1. The mayor

2. Power

3. Seabass

4. RHR

5. Dixon

haha, you're probably right, Hulk would have been the reserve.

Talking IRL, we've had some broadcasting changes in the UK. After 15 seasons with Sky Sports its going to ESPN UK... however Disney has now sold ESPN UK to British Telecom (BT), who are setting their own networks up. That all starts in July, so we may only get half a season.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

Well, some interesting tidbits & one I'm very happy to report!!! (if everything goes according to plan)

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-grand-prix-news-briefs163//P2/

McLaren is yet to sign an engine deal for the new turbo V6 era beginning in 2014, according to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport. "Mercedes is pushing for a decision in the next days," said correspondent Michael Schmidt. The successful, title-winning McLaren-Mercedes partnership dates back almost two decades, but with Mercedes now with its own team, McLaren is no longer the 'works' partner. According to Schmidt, the solution could be Honda. "The question is whether the Japanese are coming in 2014 or not until 2015," he said. "It is a poorly kept secret that McLaren is talking with Honda." In fact, Schmidt relayed paddock rumors that Honda already has engineers working at McLaren's Woking headquarters, with a final board decision about whether the manufacturer will return to F1 after a half-decade absence "pending".

Plus, Bernie is looking for 22???

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-bernie-ecclestone-wants-22-race-formula-one-grand-prix-calendar-in-2014

Bernie Ecclestone has revealed he wants to push out F1's already bustling calendar to 22 races in 2014.

"Having races in the right place is what matters," F1 chief executive Ecclestone told Sylt.

"The teams could probably deal with 22 races."

The 82-year-old also said he would like Africa to host a race in the future.

"I want to be in Cape Town," said Ecclestone. "I have been offered Durban but I think we would be better off in Cape Town."

Hmmm, all good news IMO, especially if McLaren brings Honda back :)

baltimoreravens.png

FANTASY F1 LEAGUE!

Now that I have your attention...

I will be playing an online formula 1 fantasy game this year. You get a budget and have to select 3 drivers, 3 teams within that budget. I'm not sure but I think their value goes up and down during the season depending on performance.

As well as this, there are predictions every week on top 3, pole position, fastest lap and number of safety cars which can earn bonus points.

If anyone is interested in joining this and becoming part of my 'friends league' the details are:

Site: http://badgergp.com/game/

League: Duberry Memorial League

Code: Dbc0ZK

One more thing: It is endorsed and played by Ted Kravitz! (on right)

Ted-Kravitz-Martin-Whitmarsh_2754384.jpg

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Looks like the name got leaked....

http://jalopnik.com/is-united-sportscar-racing-the-name-of-the-combined-g-453562283

A trademark filing was found by NASCAR reporter Bob Pockrass for the name United Sportscar Racing. The trademakr was filed by a company that calls itself Premium Sports Car Racing LLC.

A search of that company shows that it is now located at Legal One Daytona Boulevard in Daytona Beach, Florida. That is the address of the Grand Am series.

baltimoreravens.png

An American version of DTM (Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters) is set to be announced later this month.

If you don't know, here are what a few of the DTM cars currently look like (I can pretty much described them as Touring Cars that are as close as you can get to an F1 car):

dtm_2012-03-02-005.jpg

And since the DTM and Super GT GT500 (Japan) class are sharing basic technical regulations starting, I'll show you a few GT500 cars also:

news_entries_front.jpg
MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

Archived