Open Wheel Racing Chat 2013

rvrdgsfn

Now here comes Bahrain, a race frankly, that I hope gets scrubbed from the calendar with the new GP's coming online. Over the history of the event I can't think of anytime that I've found it worth it.

I'm of the same opinion. Especially now there's the Abu Dhabi race.

There's talk of a Thai GP again (apparently plans due to go before the cabinet soon) but its highly unlikely if it does come off that Bahrain will be ditched. No doubt it'll be the cash strapped German GP that gets the boot.

Add to that list the Sochi and Port Imperial, NJ races both of which could get delayed to '15 (same year as the Thai race is planned) then you're looking at a very crowed calendar....

Russia could fit in a spring timeslot, after Spain and before Monaco but I guess it'd be better being in the summer - so around Germany and Hungary. Thailand is another headache as it'll either have to tag onto Malaysia/China or the already crowded run from Korea to India.

Thankfully New Jersey is a little easier - as originally planned it'll just go back-to-back with Montreal.

So yeah... ditch Sakhir, a dull circuit with a bland backdrop, that way we'd have more room for other races that are shoehorned onto the calendar.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm of the same opinion. Especially now there's the Abu Dhabi race.

There's talk of a Thai GP again (apparently plans due to go before the cabinet soon) but its highly unlikely if it does come off that Bahrain will be ditched. No doubt it'll be the cash strapped German GP that gets the boot.

Add to that list the Sochi and Port Imperial, NJ races both of which could get delayed to '15 (same year as the Thai race is planned) then you're looking at a very crowed calendar....

Russia could fit in a spring timeslot, after Spain and before Monaco but I guess it'd be better being in the summer - so around Germany and Hungary. Thailand is another headache as it'll either have to tag onto Malaysia/China or the already crowded run from Korea to India.

Thankfully New Jersey is a little easier - as originally planned it'll just go back-to-back with Montreal.

So yeah... ditch Sakhir, a dull circuit with a bland backdrop, that way we'd have more room for other races that are shoehorned onto the calendar.

I thought the teams were outright opposed to having more then 20 races a reason, and we're probably going to lose some good circuits because of it. I had forgot about losing the German round, which I'd hate to see the Nurburgring lost, but wouldn't be bothered by losing Hockenheim. Also, the Mexican GP is coming back as well, so some other races are going to be lost. Which brings me to Korea, I thought rumors started about that race being dropped even before the second running?

rvrdgsfn - that's one fine looking Pug.

RedRemesis - Yes, teams are against it, I think Bernie knows his limit as well, he might push them to 21 but he'd have to offer something in return.

Mexico is possible, I'd probably put it with Thailand as in "might happen" - I don't doubt either can happen, both have money (Mexico has Slim, Thailand has the Red Bull people) but still have my doubts.

Even Sochi and Port Imperial are still questionable. Sure they have tracks under construction, but that's never a solid guarantee, just ask Zhuhai. ;)

Which brings me to Mokpo.. yes its been on shaky ground ever since its first race. I wouldn't be surprised if it was dropped in favour for Bangkok but its unlikely that we'd be lucky for that to happen. No doubt Europe will be left out in the cold once again.

Which brings me to a question I thought of when watching the Chinese GP. What F1 circuits would you like to see IRL visit, and likewise which IRL tracks would you send F1 (if you were in Bernie's shoes)?

With Uncle Bernie, its where ever the money will bring him, so if he thinks more than 20 will put more money in his pocket, he'll do it. Although, I do doubt Russia will even make it, I'd be surprise if Korea lasts any longer. The whole purpose of bringing that race was rumors were going around that Hyundai was going to get into F1, but it never happened. Alas though, I think another Euro circuit would shut down & I would have to say it would be Germany or Belgium, either one is a crying shame if it happens IMO, get rid of China or Bahrain, both bore me to tears, but I digress and like I said earlier, where ever money is involved, always count on Uncle Bernie... Although the rumors keep coming up about Austria as well along with France (I think it won't happen as long as Bernie is in charge.)

Now to answer HB's question, I would love for IndyCar to visit a few, I'd love to see Monaco, Silverstone, Suzuka, Fuji, Circuit of the Americas, Australia, Argentina just to name a few.

I also bring news about the USCR's future, it's a bit long but I'll try to get the good parts that stuck out:

http://auto-racing.s...pe-regulations/

- The new United SportsCar Racing championship is pairing P2 and DP cars together for 2014-15, but is looking at where to take its top-tier class for 2016.

- Framework for the USCR class structure was confirmed at Sebring last month, with the consolidation of the ALMS P2 category and GRAND-AM’s Daytona Prototypes into a single, blended class through 2015, but the series is already looking ahead to 2016 and which direction to take its headlining prototypes.

- With the ACO rules written to limit manufacturer participation and the overall speed of the P2 cars, USCR could have a hard time growing the P2 class to more than five or six cars until it gets to 2016 and fashions a friendlier and more inclusive environment for manufacturers to consider.

- On the Daytona Prototype side of the equation, USCR has a formula that continues to draw 10-12 cars per round, but with the third-generation DP chassis currently in use, almost everything about the prototypes could use a fresh start.

- An Audi DP, which would cost pennies on the dollars compared to its P1 cars, could be a stop-gap measure taken by the marque while the USCR, in concert with the ACO, continue to refine a new domestic prototype formula for 2016.

-In addition to going the DP route, Audi has also explored using its soon-to-be-obsolete 2013-spec P1 cars in the USCR.

Like I said... This is a just of snippets, but at least they're putting in some considerations.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this since Audi is rumored for IndyCar, Chevy & Honda would welcome them in.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-chevy-honda-series-welcome-audis-open-wheel-interest/

Seriously, get them in along with one more manufacture (Ford, Chrysler, Benz, Toyota or Nissan) & I'll be happy.

baltimoreravens.png

BUMP for Bahrain....

Seb or Darth Vettel wins Bahrain again :rolleyes: with Kimi finishing 2nd but the shock was who finished in the top 10, Roman finished 3rd, DiResta finished 4th Sergio got in the top 10 & finished 6th, Fernando finished 8th & Jenson finished out the top 10. Onto Spain.

Let's see how IndyCar goes in Long Beach with King Dario on pole

baltimoreravens.png

Yeah wasn't overly fussed on Bahrain once....

Vettel took the lead

... in fact I fell asleep while watching it. :blush:

BTW rumour news - "the '14 Bahraini GP will be a night race." Which is dumb if you ask me. If they want one in that region, why not go to Losil, Qatar?

Looking forward to Long Beach, although the start time's a bit awkward - Sunday night's 9pm+ is Must See TV night for me, so I'll have to play catchup.

Bernie wants another night race & we all know what happens, what Uncle Bernie wants.... Although after calling the Bahrainian Government stupid isn't exactly smart IMO....

Long Beach on the other hand has been quite entertaining, I didn't like seeing what happen to RHR though but the race itself has been exciting, I love it when they go to Long Beach.

EDIT:

Takuma Sato won! Last time AJ Foyt's team went in was back in 2002, Rahal was 2nd. Sato also became the first Japanese driver to win in IndyCar. Justin Wilson was 3rd.

rest of the top 10

4. Franchitti

5. Hilderbrand

6. Servia

7. Andretti

8. Pagenaud

9. de Silvestro

10. Castroneves

baltimoreravens.png

Indycar race was a good one today. Glad to see Takuma Sato get his first win, and one for AJ Foyt.

Great race and race weekend in person. The LBGP is the best run street circuit on the continent. And the race wasn't half bad either. Lots of movement up the field, good passing, and a very competitive race.

Bernie wants another night race & we all know what happens, what Uncle Bernie wants.... Although after calling the Bahrainian Government stupid isn't exactly smart IMO....

Yeah that was pretty dumb. Almost one out of Gary Bettman's playbook. "no one's watching hockey in the desert. Let's stay there" ;)

Indycar race was a good one today. Glad to see Takuma Sato get his first win, and one for AJ Foyt.

Great race and race weekend in person. The LBGP is the best run street circuit on the continent. And the race wasn't half bad either. Lots of movement up the field, good passing, and a very competitive race.

Great result for Taku san. Nice to see him finally getting some reward for all his efforts - especially those years at Jordan and BAR/Honda.

As for Long Beach... I'll be honest I sat watching it thinking that F1 should be back there instead of New Jersey. Maybe a few things would have to be tweaked, but for the most part it looks like it could host a race right now

Yeah that was pretty dumb. Almost one out of Gary Bettman's playbook. "no one's watching hockey in the desert. Let's stay there" ;)

Great result for Taku san. Nice to see him finally getting some reward for all his efforts - especially those years at Jordan and BAR/Honda.

As for Long Beach... I'll be honest I sat watching it thinking that F1 should be back there instead of New Jersey. Maybe a few things would have to be tweaked, but for the most part it looks like it could host a race right now

Meh, I'd rather the folks in Long Beach not get involved with Bernie and Todt after the 2005 USGP fiasco. If F1 is going to screw up someone's race I'd rather it be a meaningless new street race in New Jersey rather than the granddaddy of North American street races. Besides the fact I'm still baffled as to why the US is getting a second race anyway. We frankly don't deserve 2 races over here yet, particularly not when it's contributing to the further erosion of the Euro portion of the schedule.

And yeah it was a great thing seeing Sato win his first race (and Foyt's first win in over a decade). Well deserved on both counts. The GP announcer Bruce Flanders had a great comment with about 3 laps left on that (I'm paraphrasing here), "Can someone check on AJ Foyt? I'm not sure he knows where victory circle is located."

Porsche explains why they'll probably never go to F1...

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/8668738/Porsche-explains-F1-snub

The final decision was the only logical one. F1 was an alternative, but the road relevance is not there.

"Also, there is a lot of publicity around politics and tyres, but not so much about the engines and chassis."

"The aero, too, is incredible, but so extreme that it cannot result in any development in our road car understanding."

I hope your happy Bernie...Hopefully Audi will consider down the road....Hopefully.

baltimoreravens.png

Porsche explains why they'll probably never go to F1...

http://www.planetf1....xplains-F1-snub

The final decision was the only logical one. F1 was an alternative, but the road relevance is not there.

"Also, there is a lot of publicity around politics and tyres, but not so much about the engines and chassis."

"The aero, too, is incredible, but so extreme that it cannot result in any development in our road car understanding."

I hope your happy Bernie...Hopefully Audi will consider down the road....Hopefully.

that and there indy car experiment scared them away from open wheel

Thailand has gotten the green light...

http://www.planetf1....the-green-light

Plans are now going ahead with the governor of the Sports Authority of Thailand, Kanokphand Chulakasem, confirming that a route has now been agreed.

The 5.995km route would start and finish at the Royal Thai Naval Dockyard with the route passing tourists spots such as the Grand Palace, Victory Monument and Temple of Dawn.

Also Renault thinks Honda & Toyota won't join in...

http://www.yallaf1.c...-for-f1-return/

Senior Renault engine figure Rob White, however, doubts not only the Toyota rumours, but also the reports that Honda’s plans are already well advanced.

“If they actually wanted to come back,” he is quoted by Speed Week, “then why not take part in the planning meetings? We have never received a request in this regard — the meetings are always only represented by Ferrari, Mercedes and us. But Honda and Toyota could easily ask the FIA for permission and join in.”

What makes you think they haven't??? Maybe they don't want the big 3 to know? I think Renault is scared IMO.

Last but not least...

http://www.yallaf1.c...son-f1-testing/

Qatar has emerged as next likely Formula 1 host, and are lobbying for testing to take place in the country

Replace Bahrain with Qatar & I'll be happy.

EDIT: This is huge IndyCar news... PantherDDR is done after Indy :(

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-panther-drr-planning-to-shut-down-after-indy-500/

Unless a new partner or financial angel surfaces quickly, one of the loyal, little guys in the IZOD IndyCar series is shutting down after next month’s Indianapolis 500.

JR & Panther will ride on...

baltimoreravens.png

Directions: To be read with one pinch of salt.

Ecclestone confirms Long Beach talks

Bernie Ecclestone says he has held talks with the organisers of the Long Beach Grand Prix about Formula One replacing IndyCar when its agreement to race on the Californian street circuit expires next year.

"We are not in deep discussions with Long Beach but we have spoken to them," he said.

Ecclestone says he still has hopes of resurrecting the stalled race in New Jersey which was meant to take place this year. He adds "we are talking to different people in the States but who knows."

http://www.espn.co.u...ory/106898.html

Just caused they're talks, doesn't mean anything will get done. Its just Bernie stirring the pot to tell Jersey you better get it together.... Which I hope cause that would be the closet F1 race to me & I would love to go see it!

Moving on, now as some know, I like the V8 supercar series and they're racing at CoTA so of course, I'm thrilled to see it. Well, they tested the track but also NASCAR took a swing at it....

Please NASCAR, consider this track, its great, but in all honesty, I can't wait to see V8 come state side, now if only the Falcon would come stateside...

baltimoreravens.png

Archived