Open Wheel Racing Chat 2013

rvrdgsfn

Also according to reports, JR Hilderbrand lost his job in IndyCar.

http://www.racer.com...article/295562/

and servia gets shafted again by his former team???? man cant he get a good drive, he is worthy of it!!!

At least he gets the car for the remainder of the season; the move to Briscoe is just for the two Detroit races this weekend. On the other hand the article does read like they really wanted Briscoe and are "settling" for Servia.

yea after i said that i did more digging it was contract issues is what kept servia from racing this weekend, but i think he has more talent then briscoe, and i always felt servia was a good underrated driver even back in his CART days in 2000 and on............ any rumors on the 2014 schedule?? (hoping for returns of, Phoenix, Portland, Cleveland and RA and a few new street courses like QC and Providence)

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also according to reports, JR Hilderbrand lost his job in IndyCar.

http://www.racer.com...article/295562/

and servia gets shafted again by his former team???? man cant he get a good drive, he is worthy of it!!!

At least he gets the car for the remainder of the season; the move to Briscoe is just for the two Detroit races this weekend. On the other hand the article does read like they really wanted Briscoe and are "settling" for Servia.

yea after i said that i did more digging it was contract issues is what kept servia from racing this weekend, but i think he has more talent then briscoe, and i always felt servia was a good underrated driver even back in his CART days in 2000 and on............ any rumors on the 2014 schedule?? (hoping for returns of, Phoenix, Portland, Cleveland and RA and a few new street courses like QC and Providence)

Here's the latest I found on Phoenix...

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/speed/articles/20130529indycar-chief-mark-miles-talks-sports-future.html?nclick_check=1

"One of the many decisions Mark Miles must make about IndyCar racing’s future direction is if the series will return to Phoenix International Raceway in 2014 for the first time in nine years."

"Question: Bernard said that a 2014 PIR race was “a must.” Is it?

Answer: I candidly wouldn’t say that it’s a “must.” I think there’s a lot to recommend it. But, I have felt that to an extent, in the recent past, we were almost more interested in the quantity of races rather than the quality. I think that’s a mistake. We’re casting our gaze across the country and North America to look for how we can populate the circuit with committed promoters who we can work with in the longer haul. So my saying I don’t know that it’s a “must” is that we want to look at all the factors."

"Q: What’s your message to long-suffering fans?

A: To that hard-core fan who has been disappointed for so long we almost have to start by saying, “We’re sorry. We owe you an apology.” Then, the very next thing will be to say, “Let’s get on with it. If you really love this sport, as our hard-core fans do, then it’s time to quit looking back.”

baltimoreravens.png

Qualifying Results for the IndyCar races in Detroit:

- Race 1

Franchitti qualifies on pole, but will start in 10 places back due to an unapproved engine change at Indy.

Which means EJ Viso starts on pole and Mike Conway starts 2nd.

- Race 2

Mike Conway is on pole and James Jakes starts 2nd.

Coverage for Race 1 starts at 3:30 p.m. EDT on ABC. (That means a half-hour from now.)

MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

Just found this thread.......but I went to the Indianapolis 500 this year for the first time......and it will not be the last. So fricken cool. The racing was great, the fans were great, all the festivities were great. Everyone should experience the Brickyard once in their life....for Indycars.

iq5b7nF.png

Just found this thread.......but I went to the Indianapolis 500 this year for the first time......and it will not be the last. So fricken cool. The racing was great, the fans were great, all the festivities were great. Everyone should experience the Brickyard once in their life....for Indycars.

i made a promise to myself on Sunday that im going to the 2016 indy(100th running)

IndyCar's step by step program for the future...

http://www.racer.com...article/295880/

Major features of each step of the plan include:

2013: IndyCar will work with Dallara to reduce the surface area of the underfloor to reduce the potential for lift.

2014: Engine upgrades will be introduced in line with the current homologation process. Downforce adjustments will be made to enhance racing, overtaking, and safety as needed.

2015: Aero kits will be introduced in conjunction with potential changes to the underbody.

2016: Opportunity for tire development with Firestone if needed, as well as engine enhancements if required.

2017: Possible engine and aero upgrades, and the potential for areas of the car to be opened up for the teams to develop.

2018: Competition enhancements, which will be based on how the 2017 package performs.

2019: The potential introduction of an entirely new engine formula and body style.

2020: Competition enhancements based upon the performance of the 2019 package.

2021: Possible aerodynamic upgrade.

06-02-Derrick-Walker-Press-Conference-Insert.jpg?vs=1&d=20130602T115901

Walker said that teams, manufacturers, suppliers and drivers would be consulted through every stage of the development process.

"Our long-term competition strategy is designed to build on the foundation of our current package with progressive and methodical enhancements in conjunction with our manufacturers, teams and drivers," he said

Plus the more I hear rumblings of Audi at the Indy Engine meetings... The better.

Race 2 in Detroit has been amazing so far, I've been impressed with Detroit, there has been some pretty good racing.

baltimoreravens.png

Race 1 Thoughts:

Plenty of passing throughout the field, with the new track layout there are 2 good passing zones (3, if you are brave enough to pass in turn 1).

Saavedra pulling out the double birdie on live camera (reminds me of Will Power at New Hampshire in 2011).

Congratulations to Mike Conway on his (dominating) win. (2nd career win)

Race 2 Thoughts:

Well if you wanted a crashfest, the first half of this race was for you. I don't know if it was fatigue from Saturday, a loss of brains, or both.

To Bourdais: Just because your car is chrome doesn't mean you use it as a chrome horn. And to quote Will Power:

He was once a champ; and now he's a chump.

Congratulations to Simon Pagenaud for his first win.

Points Standings after Detroit:

-1. (Tie) #25 - Marco Andretti (206 points)

-1. (Tie) #3 - Hélio Castroneves (206 points)

-3. #1 (28) - Ryan Hunter-Reay (-15)

-4. #9 - Scott Dixon (-20)

-5. #77 - Simon Pagenaud (-29)

-6. #14 - Takuma Sato (-31)

-7. #19 - Justin Wilson (-37)

-8. #11 - Tony Kanaan (-46)

-9. #27 - James Hinchcliffe (-52)

-10. #83 - Charlie Kimball (-57)

I'm only posting the overnight TV ratings because any good mention of my hometown on the national level is something I want to mention. (Especially since I may have contributed to this statistic.)

Saturday Night is the Firestone 550 at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, with coverage starting at 8:30 p.m. EDT on ABC and Sportsnet.

And Sunday is the Grand Prix du Canada at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve on the Île Notre-Dame in Montréal, Québec. Live coverage starts at 1:30 p.m. EDT on NBC (yes, NBC) and at 1:55 p.m. EDT on TSN/RDS.

And on a final note, the 24 Heures du Mans (or 24 Hours of Le Mans) is in 3 weeks, and I find this dissapointing.

So ladies & gents, if this were to happen, how much of a blow would this be to Formula 1?

http://grandprix247.com/2013/06/03/mercedes-could-quit-f1-over-ecclestone-bribe-scandal/

Mercedes is not denying that they may pull out of Formula One over the Bernie Ecclestone corruption scandal.

DPA news agency reports that, when negotiating its new Concorde Agreement terms with Ecclestone, Mercedes parent Daimler inserted an exit clause relating to corruption.

So this would mean trouble for Mercedes, Williams, Force India...

In other news today...

http://grandprix247.com/2013/06/03/fia-aims-to-freeze-v6-turbo-engine-rules-by-2018/

The FIA aims to freeze development of Formula One bespoke manufactured V6 turbo engines.

Just as substantial development of the current V8 engines was frozen years ago in order to control costs, a similar ‘freeze’ will gradually be introduced between 2014 – when the new rules are introduced – and 2018, according to Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport.

Next year, Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault will equip the twelve F1 teams with V6 power, while Honda’s works deal with McLaren will begin in 2015.

“Honda is coming in just in time,” said correspondent Michael Schmidt, “because the development of the new engines will be gradually frozen until 2018.

“If they [manufacturers] wait too long, their response to problems could be restricted.”

The 2018 ‘freeze’ is putting pressure on other carmakers believed to be considering entering F1, like BMW, Toyota or a Volkswagen marque such as Audi or Porsche.

baltimoreravens.png

I feel this story could be relevant to this and the Coyotes thread...

Arizona plans for a future in Formula One

A report in the Arizona Daily Star claims that a 400-acre site near Tucson has been identified as a potential site for a motor-racing circuit which, the paper claims, could be used by Formula One.

Even if the plans get the go ahead it is likely to be several years before the track is up and running, and even then the owners will have to do what it takes to convince Bernie Ecclestone that Arizona is where the future lies.

http://www.espn.co.uk/usracing/motorsport/story/109752.html

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

I feel this story could be relevant to this and the Coyotes thread...

Arizona plans for a future in Formula One

A report in the Arizona Daily Star claims that a 400-acre site near Tucson has been identified as a potential site for a motor-racing circuit which, the paper claims, could be used by Formula One.

Even if the plans get the go ahead it is likely to be several years before the track is up and running, and even then the owners will have to do what it takes to convince Bernie Ecclestone that Arizona is where the future lies.

http://www.espn.co.u...ory/109752.html

-Tuscon is 100+ miles SE of Phoenix (and therefore has nothing to do with the Glenderp situation).

-Fun Fact: The USGP was held in Phoenix from 1989-91. (Needless to say, it was not successful.)

Yeah I know its nothing to do with Glendale but I should have put that it could be an example of another expensive sporting venture in the state.

I don't doubt that if it was built (to the same standard as CotA) then it'd probably get decent crowds, and could probably get Indy and NASCAR, but its still a risk to build with an eye to get F1 when there's already Texas and NJ (if the latter ever does happen).

Tuscon?

Well I said the same thing about Austin so weirder things have happened...

Also some news about some of the future F1 track's....

Thailand hits a snag...

http://www.racer.com/thailands-f1-plans-hit-trouble/article/296768/

Authorities said in April that a circuit would be created near the Royal Thai Naval Dockyard in Bangkok, with the hope of landing a deal to host a Formula 1 race in 2015. The track would have run past the Grand Palace, the Temple of Dawn and Victory Monument. The plans, however, have suffered a setback after Bangkok's Metropolitan Authority passed a law that bans racing in the area.

"The law came into effect on May 16 prohibiting car racing in inner Bangkok because that area is a conservation for culture and arts," Kriangphon Pattanarat, director general of city planning department told AFP.

GP of the Americas hired Marty Hunt

http://www.racer.com/marty-hunt-joins-gp-of-america-as-director-of-race-operations/article/296855/

Most recently, Hunt served as the director of facilities at Circuit of The Americas. He previously served as operations manager for the Richard Petty Driving Experience and senior director of facility and operations at Chicagoland Speedway and Route 66 Raceway. He also spent nearly 10 years at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, first as manager of track racing operations and later as director of operations.

Also there are rumblings that Michelin is trying to get back in Formula 1, sadly the link doesn't want to cooperate.

Lastly, there will be a 5th manufacture in V8 Supercars....

VOLVO! & yes, I'm serious

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/06/07/date-set-for-volvo-v8-supercars-announcement/

Volvo is set to confirm its 2014 V8 Supercars Championship entry with Garry Rogers Motorsport later this month.

The official launch will take place in Queensland on June 17 and coincide with the reveal of the company’s high performance S60 Polestar road car, according to a report by Motoring.com.au.

baltimoreravens.png

Oh Canada!

Thanks to Red Bull for sucking all the fun out of it.

Bernie spouted his usual nonesense in an interview with the BBC. Apparently Circuit Gilles Villenueve is looking "tired". Code for "I want more money".

Got me thinking though, if they had to go elsewhere, I don't know if there is another track that could host F1 in Canada. And if someone with a big bag of Loonies decided to scratch build a track, where would be best? Vancouver area, Toronto or Ottawa? (I don't mean by what land is available btw, but rather nearest location). Or perhaps they could 'do an Austin' and build a track in Kitchener.. :P

Oh Canada!

Thanks to Red Bull for sucking all the fun out of it.

Bernie spouted his usual nonesense in an interview with the BBC. Apparently Circuit Gilles Villenueve is looking "tired". Code for "I want more money".

Got me thinking though, if they had to go elsewhere, I don't know if there is another track that could host F1 in Canada. And if someone with a big bag of Loonies decided to scratch build a track, where would be best? Vancouver area, Toronto or Ottawa? (I don't mean by what land is available btw, but rather nearest location). Or perhaps they could 'do an Austin' and build a track in Kitchener.. :P

Uncle Bernie always says that, said the same about Silverstone & Interlagos, he just needs to keep his mouth shut. I was more excited about

the race between Alonso & Hamilton

Canada was a better race but yeah... Darth Vettel showed up & took over.

Gives-you-Force.jpg

Meanwhile.... sigh Texas was a snoozefest IMO. I hope I was the only one that thought that but it just didn't seem like one of their best races.

Off to Milwaukee next week & Silverstone on the 30th. In the meantime, we shall see what happens with the verdict between Mercedes & Pirelli.

baltimoreravens.png

Archived