Open Wheel Racing Chat 2013

rvrdgsfn

Bumping for Mid-Ohio....

Congrats to Charlie Kimball for his first win!

1. Kimball

2. Pagenaud

3. Franchitti

4. Power

5. Hunter-Reay

6. Castroneves

7. Dixon

8. Wilson

9. Andretti

10. Hinchcliffe

Sonoma in 3 weeks

EDIT: Oh yeah & then there's this...

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/chip-ganassi-celebrates-indycar-victory-at-mid-ohio-1022381503

Nice job Chip lol

baltimoreravens.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BUMP:

The search is over... According to reports, Red Bull has replaced an Australian.... With another Australian

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/8876604/-Red-Bull-to-confirm-Ricciardo-at-Spa-

Daniel Ricciardo is to partner Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull from next season, according to a report in Germany.

Sport Bild online reported that the 24-year-old Toro Rosso pilot has been lined up to place fellow Australian Mark Webber.

Ricciardo will be officially presented as Red Bull's new driver at the Belgian Grand Prix in Spa-Francorchamp next weekend, it was reported.

There has been no confirmation from Red Bull, with motorsport chief Helmut Marko saying: "We will make no announcement until Spa. I cannot say anymore on this."

Looks like De La Costa will finally get called up to Toro Rosso & who knows with Kimi

baltimoreravens.png

I have had this idea for a concept series but I need some input on it first.

THE FIA/FIM WORLD MOTORSPORTS CHAMPIONSHIP

Imagine the Olympics mixed in with A1GP World Series adding Race of Champions.

Here's what I think how it should be

-The City

As a Host City I think London does the trick but Paris could as well. The Host City would host the events where the venues could be used for more than one event. For example, In London, Lord's Cricket Grounds would host both Motorcross and Stadium Trucks/Buggies events as a course layout could be designed to change from one setup to another.

-Host Circuit

The Host Circuit would host the GP and Endurance style events where a permanent paddock would be nessacary. However Touring Car events would NOT take place at a circuit but in the city for spectator and logistical reasons.

-The Teams

Each Nation within the top 30 of the Autosport World Driver Rankings will get a automatic invitation to every event while Nations ranked 31-40 will compete in a prelim to see who will get the final 5 slots in a event like the Sprint Showdown for the NASCAR All Star Race

Each Nation can send a Max of 3 Cars/Bikes per event in non Multi Driver Events excluding Rally

-The Events (Car)

FIA Events

-LMP2 (Oreca 03-Nissan)

-GTE (Porsche 911 GT3 RSR)

-GT3 (Audi R8 LMS Ultra)

-Karting

-Touring Car (Chevy Cruze)

-Open Wheel (GP2/11)

-Rally (Citroen DS3 WRC)

-RallyCross (Ford Fiesta ST RX)

-Race Of Champions Crossover (Toyota 86)

-Stadium Buggies

FIM

-Moto GP(Honda)

-Moto Endurance (Yamaha)

-MotoX (Kawasaki)

-EnduroX

What Else should there be? What drivers? I'm interested in any input on this

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

Recent News Roundup

-IndyCar

2014 Schedule is nearing finalization with 20-21 races on the calendar next year

Probable Changes

-St Pete (Possible Doubleheader)

-New Race at IMS (Road Course, early May and paired with USCR who wants to move their Indy date up)

-Pocono (Change from 400 to 500 miles)

-Milwaukee (Needs a Sponsor to confirm its race but more than likely will keep it)

-Sao Paolo (Needs a New Date if IMS Road Course is a go)

-Fontana (Wants to move up to make the Triple Crown being held in three consecutive months)

Darrick Walker targets a 2015 Global Plan to include a winter International series with races at some of the old CART tracks like Surfers Paradise.

-MotoGP

MotoGP to return to Brazil in 2014 in Brasilia

-F1

Belgium This Weekend

Japan now has a contract good thru the 2018 Season.

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

Results & news & notes time boys & girls!

After the long break, Formula 1 was back & was dominated by Das Wunderkid

1.Vettel

2. Alonso

3. Hamilton

4. Rosberg

5. Webber

6. Button

7. Massa

8. Grosjean

9. Sutil

10. Ricciardo

Kimi & Paul Di Resta did not finish. Speaking of Ricciardo....

http://grandprix247.com/2013/08/25/webber-confirms-ricciardo-is-his-successor-at-red-bull/

But the Le Mans-bound Webber said at Spa-Francorchamps: “The decision’s made. We all know who it is. I’m happy with that decision.

“It’s good for him and good for Australia,” he told Channel 10.

Other than that, it looks like Mexico is back in the F1 calendar

http://www.racer.com/mexico-set-for-2014-f1-calendar-slot/article/308812/

Mexico is poised to make a surprise return to the Formula 1 calendar in 2014, after high-level sources revealed at the Belgian GP that it is to be awarded a provisional slot in next year's schedule.

Although teams have not yet been given a draft calendar, Formula 1 commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone is intending to pencil in a race in Mexico City. Sources suggest that the race, which is likely to take place as a back-to-back with Circuit of The Americas, is most likely to be given a provisional slot pending the completion of a commercial contract and work on the Mexico City track.

Last but not least, Greenpeace did a protest during the race due to Shell's sponsorship, the reason due to their potential drilling near the North Pole.

Now for IndyCar, Sonoma just finished. It was a fantastic race.

1. Power

2. Wilson

3. Franchitti

4. Andretti

5. Pagenaud

6. Hunter-Reay

7. Castroneves

8. Hinchcliffe

9. de Silvestro

10. Bourdais

Right now, there is a lot of controversy with Scott Dixon in the pit with one of Will Power's guy getting hit, so its more of a question of who is at fault? Onto Baltimore next week & Monza in 2. Here's hoping we will hear more of the IndyCar schedule for next year. Las but not least reports are Michelin is supposed to make an announcement regarding F1.

EDIT: Found the vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4sdBi1nPRU

Dixon's reaction....

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-a-pit-stop-should-not-look-like-1198614832

thoughts?

baltimoreravens.png

Bump:

Results from the Baltimore Grand Prix

1. Pagenaud

2. Newgarden

3. Bourdais

4. Wilson

5. de Silvestro

6. Kimball

7. Hincliffe

8. Saavedra

9. Castroneves

10. Andretti

Franchitti & Dixon did not end up doing well. Same with Will Power and Ryan Hunter-Reay Onto Houston in October for the last doubleheader.

baltimoreravens.png

Recent News Roundup

-IndyCar

2014 Schedule is nearing finalization with 20-21 races on the calendar next year

Probable Changes

-St Pete (Possible Doubleheader)

-New Race at IMS (Road Course, early May and paired with USCR who wants to move their Indy date up)

-Pocono (Change from 400 to 500 miles)

-Milwaukee (Needs a Sponsor to confirm its race but more than likely will keep it)

-Sao Paolo (Needs a New Date if IMS Road Course is a go)

-Fontana (Wants to move up to make the Triple Crown being held in three consecutive months)

Darrick Walker targets a 2015 Global Plan to include a winter International series with races at some of the old CART tracks like Surfers Paradise.

I'm not so sure that I love the idea of a road course race at IMS. It kinda screws with the tradition of IMS (i.e., does the road course race winner kiss the bricks?) if you'd ask me.

I'd imagine it'll be the second weekend in May if it happens. The 500 Festival starts up the first weekend with the Mini Marathon (which uses the track as part of its course) and I don't think that'll be moving.

On the other hand though, it's probably going to be the second-highest grossing race of the year for IndyCar, so there's that.

What if they ran a road-course race as part of qualifying for the 500? Top 10 get their spots in the field? (Yeah, it's stupid but whatever.)

6fQjS3M.png

Yeah, its just most of the drivers don't like the idea of a road course IMS race so close to the 500. I dunno about it yet but the bigwigs think its a bonafide hit.

Well it became official today...

Now, about Kimi going to Ferrari????

baltimoreravens.png

BUMP

The possible 2014 F1 schedule will have 21 races, with Jersey being left out.

March 16 - Australia (Melbourne)March 23 - Malaysia (Sepang)April 6 - China (Shanghai)April 13 - Korea* (Korea International Circuit)April 27 - Bahrain (Sakhir)May 11 - Spain (Barcelona)May 25 - Monaco (Monaco)June 8 - Canada (Montreal)June 22 - Austria (Red Bull Ring)July 6 - Britain (Silverstone)July 20 - Germany (Hockenheim)July 27 - Hungary (Budapest)August 24 - Belgium (Spa)September 7 - Italy (Monza)September 21 - Singapore (Marina Bay)October 5 - Japan (Suzuka)October 19 - Russia* (Sochi)October 26 - Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)November 9 - Mexico* (Mexico City)November 16 - USA (Circuit of the Americas)November 30 - Brazil (Interlagos)

Other than that, more rumors keep popping up with BMW making a return, even though they flat out deny it.

http://grandprix247.com/2013/09/05/bmw-denies-formula-1-return-rumours/

Internet reports this week said that the German carmaker, having pulled out of its works collaboration with Sauber at the end of 2009, is thinking about following Formula 1 returnee Honda back onto the grid as a supplier of turbo V6 engines in 2015 or 2016.

Other reports are coming in that Venezuela is re considering their sponsorship with Williams which could also mean that Maldonado is out of a job as well.

baltimoreravens.png

Bump for Monza

1. Vettel

2. Alonso

3. Webber

4. Massa

5. Hulkenberg

6. Rosberg

7. Ricciardo

8. Grosjean

9. Hamilton

10. Button

It looks like its back to the dominance of Das Wunderkid & Red Bull. I don't think anyone can stop him.

News & notes, Pirelli is expect to return next season, Ferrari will make their driver decision in the next couple of days & Bahrain will become a night race starting next season.

baltimoreravens.png

I think it was bound to happen, sadly Massa wasn't the same driver that he was after his 2009 accident, plus it didn't help when Ferrari showed favoritism (Fernando is faster than you). However, this paves the way for possibly a bigger team & possible headache then Senna/Prost in McLaren, cause according to reports, Kimi is coming home.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/8916012/-Raikkonen-Signs-One-Year-Ferrari-Deal-

"BBC Sport reports that the 33-year-old, whose contract with Lotus runs out at the end of the season, "signed a one-year deal with an option for 2015" and Ferrari will make an announcement imminently."

Although, they could throw a curveball & sign Nico Hulkenberg but he'll probably end up at Lotus.

baltimoreravens.png

Baltimore Grand Prix cancelled for 2014.

EDIT: I have a question. Do you think the Baltimore Street Circuit is a bad circuit?

In all honesty, I thought it was a good course. I've enjoyed it when they had it, it seemed most of the drivers enjoyed it too, but it was doomed to the start, there was a lot of opposition & money issues. I'm sorry to see it go. Now if they could come back to RIR, I would be happy. Of course, now there are speculations of either Road America (NEED) & New Jersey in the running along with the old reports of Cleveland, Austin & Quebec City also rumored.

baltimoreravens.png

EDIT: I have a question. Do you think the Baltimore Street Circuit is a bad circuit?

In all honesty, I thought it was a good course. I've enjoyed it when they had it, it seemed most of the drivers enjoyed it too, but it was doomed to the start, there was a lot of opposition & money issues. I'm sorry to see it go. Now if they could come back to RIR, I would be happy. Of course, now there are speculations of either Road America (NEED) & New Jersey in the running along with the old reports of Cleveland, Austin & Quebec City also rumored.

As long as its not the IMS road course......

As long as its not the IMS road course......

Fans, Drivers, just about everyone including myself dislike the idea of an IMS road course, especially in May. It shouldn't happen. End of discussion.

I also found this interesting.... In the world of F1

http://grandprix247.com/2013/09/13/vettel-will-be-ferraris-next-signing-claims-webber/

With the ink on Kimi Raikkonen’s 2014 Ferrari contract still drying, Red Bull’s Mark Webber is already making predictions about the next driver to make his way to Maranello.

Australian Webber, a close friend of Fernando Alonso, thinks the Spaniard’s Ferrari contract will expire in unison with the team’s new signing, Finn Raikkonen.

“Two years for probably both of them actually I think,” the Red Bull driver, who is departing Formula 1 for Le Mans sports car racing with Porsche at the end of the year, told the British broadcaster Sky.

“And then what they (Ferrari) do after that obviously (is) pick Seb up off the back of Red Bull and then they keep moving from there.”

Webber was also asked why Ferrari resigned Raikkonen...

“a very short-term aggressive statement from Ferrari to put the team at the front”.

Webber thinks the move is justified on the basis that Alonso needs “to be pushed”.

“He needs to be squeezed on Saturday afternoon to get the car further up the grid,” he added.

Makes sense to me, if he wants to win one or even two more (doubtful) especially for Ferrari, he's gonna need to be pushed to his limits, Kimi's that guy or will beat him. I can't to hear Kimi is faster than you :P

baltimoreravens.png

Hey Open Wheel guys: you can have him back.

Juan Pablo Motoya has chosen to leave NASCAR o join Penske's IRL team full-time In 2014

This is a big deal right here. This is a statement from Penske to Andretti & saying, hey your dominance is over. This is a wise move, Even JPM is ready

"When this opportunity came around, you didn't even have to think about it. It was a great opportunity."

Open Wheelers, rejoice!

baltimoreravens.png

Archived