Open Wheel Racing Chat 2013

rvrdgsfn

I hope Grosjean earns a seat next year. Had a podium last year in Budapest, so hopefully it carries over.

Andretti Autosport will field a team in the FIA's Formula E, the first US team to compete in the series with electric cars in 2014.

http://www.chriscousall.co.uk/post/55692462381/andretti-autosport-becomes-first-us-formula-e-team

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

News & Notes about USCR... First up, Ford's DP

http://www.racer.com/uscr-ford-turbo-dp-engine-bodywork-making-progress/article/303636/

Ongoing development of the first turbocharged powerplant for the Daytona Prototype class and the recent arrival of new manufacturer-specific bodywork has the Michael Shank Racing team working overtime as it prepares for 2014.

The Ohio-based Grand-Am squad continues to spearhead the Blue Oval's expanded involvement in the new-look United SportsCar Racing championship, assisting with the fitment and future track testing of the brand's 3.5-liter EcoBoost turbo V6 and refining Ford's custom DP body for use in the IMSA-sanctioned series that starts next year.

“We're putting the turbo car back together right now,” Shank told RACER. “We have the first of the 2014 bodies here in my shop – the only set that exists. It looks awesome and I can't wait for people to see it. The motor is also something impressive to look at, if you ask me.”

Ford Racing boss Jamie Allison confirmed to this writer that its 2014 DP body would not feature styling from a specific production model, opting to follow a general theme that has created a bit of curiosity as to what the car will look like when it breaks cover.

Its new DP powerplant is much less of a mystery, having started life as a Roush Yates-built LMP2 engine that has now been tailored to fit the tubeframe confines of a Riley chassis.

As for the schedule...

http://www.racer.com/insight-uscrs-2014-schedule-taking-shape/article/303718/

They're calling for 11 or 12 and this is pure speculation...

NASCAR/ISC events that are going to happen:

1: Daytona, Rolex 24

2: Sebring, 12 Hour

3: Watkins Glen

4: Road Atlanta (Petit Le Mans)

NASCAR/ISC event also said to be happening:

5: Kansas

Non-NASCAR/ISC events that are very likely to happen:

6: Long Beach

7: Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

8: Detroit

9: IMS road course

10: Road America

11: Circuit of The Americas

Might happen if a 12th race is added, or if other tracks drop out:

12: Baltimore

13: Lime Rock

14: VIR

15: Mid-Ohio

16: Mosport

I would hope for VIR, I'd like to see it there plus its IMO a great track.

baltimoreravens.png

Wonderful news!

Austrian Grand Prix set to return to F1 calendar in 2014

The Austrian Grand Prix is set to return to the Formula 1 calendar in 2014, after Spielberg's owner Red Bull revealed a deal had been struck for a July 6 date.

The energy drinks company issued a short statement to Austrian media outlets on Tuesday morning saying that it had concluded negotiations for F1 to return to the circuit.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108917

I wonder which race will get the axe? Or its it more posturing to force New Jersey's hand?

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

Wonderful news!

The Austrian Grand Prix is set to return to the Formula 1 calendar in 2014, after Spielberg's owner Red Bull revealed a deal had been struck for a July 6 date.

The energy drinks company issued a short statement to Austrian media outlets on Tuesday morning saying that it had concluded negotiations for F1 to return to the circuit.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108917

I wonder which race will get the axe? Or its it more posturing to force New Jersey's hand?

If any race could or will get the axe it would be Korea because the race as been a bust from a financial point, which is everything in F1, I read somewhere that the race was losing $25 million a year.

Other News

GX will be merged into GTD in the USCR

GT3 cars are allowed into GTD without the major changes needed before but aero tweaks and other minor tweaks will be required

Corvette C7.R is nearing completion and will begin testing soon

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

Wonderful news!

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/108917

If any race could or will get the axe it would be Korea because the race as been a bust from a financial point, which is everything in F1, I read somewhere that the race was losing $25 million a year.

Other News

GX will be merged into GTD in the USCR

GT3 cars are allowed into GTD without the major changes needed before but aero tweaks and other minor tweaks will be required

Corvette C7.R is nearing completion and will begin testing soon

Yeah, Korea needs to finally go. I had a feeling Austria would come back, especially with Red Bull behind it. I kept hoping for France or South Africa to come in, but hey, Uncle Bernie wants a 20+ race season, I think he may get it. I was curious, I didn't see how many years this was for, anyone know how long the contract is for?

baltimoreravens.png

I've said it before, I would be sad to see Korea go, only due to the potential it has. However there's no use keeping it on the calendar for those reasons. Let it find its niche in Asia (and the numerous series that can still visit it) and who knows once some of the 'town' is built F1 might just return.

A side note, rumours before Sauber announced their Russian partnership suggested that an Asian car manufacturer could join up. Two names were suggested - Geeley (China) and Hyundai (SK), I guess if the latter had stepped in then Yeognam would stay around on the calendar.

Anyway, I wonder how it'll fit in. Looks like the summer will be quite crowded. I'm guessing something along the lines of...

Monaco (May 25)

Canada (June 8)

New Jersey (June 15)

Britain (June 29)

Austria (July 6)

Germany (July 13)

Here's what I think the schedule will look like

1: Bahrain, Bahrain International Circuit

2: Australia, Albert Park Circuit

3: Malaysia, Sepang International Circuit

4: China, Shanghai International Circuit

5: Spain, Circuit de Catalunya

6: Monaco, Circuit de Monaco

7: Canada, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

8: America, Port Imperial Street Circuit

9: British, Silverstone Circuit

10: Austria, Red Bull Ring

11: Germany, Hockenheimring

12: Hungary, Hungaroring

13: Russia, Sochi Olympic Park Circuit

14: Belgium, Circuit de Spa-Franchorchamps

15: Italy, Autodromo Nazionale Monza

16: Singapore, Marina Bay Street Circuit

17: Korea, Korean International Circuit

18: Japan, Suzuka Circuit

19: India, Buddh International Circuit

20: Abu Dhabi, Yas Marina Circuit

21: United States, Circuit of the Americas

22: Brazil, Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace (Interlagos)

I expect Korea will be dropped but the contract will end I believe in '14

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

Has anyone heard one way or the other about the New Jersey race? The last I heard it was postponed.

Well at the moment, its supposed to be on the '14 calendar. Everything is supposedly on track (pun intended). However now that the Red Bull Ring has muscled its way onto the calendar, some are suggesting that New Jersey is the prime candidate to be dropped.

But, as for now (and until the provisional calendar gets released) its supposed to be a go.

Results from Hungary...

1. Hamilton

2. Raikkonen

3. Vettel

4. Webber

5. Alonso

6. Grosjean

7. Button

8. Massa

9. Perez

10. Maldonado

The Silver Arrows are creeping up against Red Bull for the constructors and Kimi is catching up to Seb, now comes the vacation part but also the start of silly season to which now everyone is asking, who will be Seb's teammate, the funniest report I read was Alonso was considering the seat now :therock:

I doubt it though, I still say Kimi has a shot but I think Ricciardo has the better shot. I had to laugh about the Alonso rumor though.

EDIT:

Oh I also forgot, reports are coming out that the Concorde Agreement has finally been agreed to on Saturday.

baltimoreravens.png

I've said it before, I would be sad to see Korea go, only due to the potential it has. However there's no use keeping it on the calendar for those reasons. Let it find its niche in Asia (and the numerous series that can still visit it) and who knows once some of the 'town' is built F1 might just return.

A side note, rumours before Sauber announced their Russian partnership suggested that an Asian car manufacturer could join up. Two names were suggested - Geeley (China) and Hyundai (SK), I guess if the latter had stepped in then Yeognam would stay around on the calendar.

Anyway, I wonder how it'll fit in. Looks like the summer will be quite crowded. I'm guessing something along the lines of...

Monaco (May 25)

Canada (June 8)

New Jersey (June 15)

Britain (June 29)

Austria (July 6)

Germany (July 13)

Not that I have a problem with three races in three weeks, but when was the last time F1 actually did so?

Last weekend at the (famous) Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, Sébastien Loeb, in a Peugeot 208 T16, completely obliterated the previous record set last year by Rhys Millen by ~1.5 minutes! (Old Record: 9:46.164; New Record; 8:13.878)

I know this is month old, but it's becoming more and more apparent to me that Loeb might not just be the greatest Rally driver ever, he could be the greatest race car driver ever. I think the argument in favor of him is a good one. He is, at the very least, one of the greatest race car drivers ever.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I like it too, so far the V6 engines sound good, still waiting of Ferrari's good graces to show the engine & sound. Meanwhile for those that follow Pirelli World Challenge, IMO its a very underrated racing series. Well, now it's about to get interesting...

http://www.racer.com/fia-gt3-cars-in-fia-aero-trimapproved-for-pirelli-world-challenge-competition-in-2014/article/305887/

Series promoter WC Vision announced Friday it has approved the use of FIA GT3 cars running FIA approved aero packages for competition in the Pirelli World Challenge starting in 2014. Prior to the start of the 2013 season, the series approved three FIA GT3 platforms – the Audi R8 LMS, Mercedes SLS, and BMW Z4 – for competition in the Pirelli World Challenge GT class.

“Following two years of extensive research including a full season of competition we are pleased to announce the approval of GT3 cars with their FIA approved aero packages to race in our series,” said the series' director of competition, Geoff Carter. “With the prior inclusion of ABS and traction control our approval allows manufacturers from around the world a stable platform for customer-focused racing.”

“With the integration of FIA GT3 cars into the Pirelli World Challenge GT championship, we are looking forward to a stronger, deeper GT field for 2014,” said Scott Bove, president and CEO of WC Vision. “Fans will see for the first time fully homologated FIA GT3 cars running in full as delivered GT3 trim race against Pirelli World Challenge GT cars from Porsche, Cadillac, Audi, Chevrolet, Volvo, and Nissan.

SN: Make this happen USCR!

baltimoreravens.png

Archived