Open Wheel Racing Chat 2013

rvrdgsfn

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bumping for results....

Well, I think we all knew what was coming LeMans but once more it was dominating by the 4 ring crew of Audi but Toyota did finish in 2nd. It was Tom Kristensen's 9th victory, Audi's 4th straight & 12 overall victory in P1. The victory was dedicated to Simonsen. Now we shall see what happens when Porsche & Nissan get back into P1.

P2 went to Oak Racing's Nissan-powered Morgan GTE went to the Porsche 92 911RSR, Corvette finished 4th & the new team of SRT Viper's finished 8th & 9th, not bad.

Meanwhile, in Iowa... Mayor Hinchcliffe struck again & won Iowa in dominant fashion

1. Hinchcliffe

2. Huter-Reay

3. Kannan

4. Carpenter

5. Rahal

6. Pagenaud

7.Servia

8. Castroneves

9. Andretti

10. Viso

Next is Pocono for indyCar, I'm a little skeptical on this, its one of my least favorite tracks but IndyCar fans love this place, I guess we will find out why on the 7th...

Last but not least.... F1 in Silverstone is next week!

baltimoreravens.png

Bumping for breaking news & the 2nd worst kept secret in open wheel, it became official today.... Mark Webber is leaving F1 for Porsche in WEC

http://www.racer.com/webber-to-leave-f1-for-porsche/article/300637/

Mark Webber has announced that he will leave Formula 1 at the end of the season to join Porsche's new LMP1 sportscar programme.

The Australian's decision leaves the second Red Bull seat alongside world champion Sebastian Vettel available for 2014, with Kimi Raikkonen already strongly linked to the drive.

baltimoreravens.png

Pirelli having themselves a Michelin moment during this Grand Prix.

Of course to this point Vettel has survived all of these blowouts unfortunately

No need to worry, Wunderkid just lost his gearbox & out of the race, the British crowd were roaring in applauds

baltimoreravens.png

BUMP

What a fantastic race near the end, I couldn't be happier. Nico just held it altogether, Webber was running like crazy & Alonso and Hamilton were at it again, this was one of my favorite races so far. Well, with the exception of 3 rear left tires getting decimated.

1. Rosberg

2. Webber

3. Alonso

4. Hamilton

5. Raikkkonen

6. Massa

7. Sutil

8. Ricciardo

9. di Resta

10. Hulkenberg

The fight for the Drivers Championship just got very interesting indeed

On to Germany next Sunday!

baltimoreravens.png

Yup it was a great race (don't listen to the naysayers claiming it was ruined by the tyres). Thankfully it was accompanied by decent weather for a change. Which only adds to the enjoyment, I didn't even mind paying ÂŁ4/$6 for a box of fries.

I couldn't believe the roar that went up when Vettel stopped. Seems the tide has turned a little on him. Don't know if it was him dominating or the 'Multi 21' fiasco.

Plus there were British winners in GP2 and GP3 so I was pretty happy. I was glad Nico won, I hope its the start of his push for the title. :)

And I've just seen this over on another forum...

Ticket prices for the New Jersey Grand Prix will be sold at an average price of $563 according to UBS.

Passes for the prestigious Paddock Club will be priced at $4,255 for the race which will be run on a street circuit in front of the Manhattan skyline.

http://motorsportsta...563-on-average/

:jawdrop:

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

Yup it was a great race (don't listen to the naysayers claiming it was ruined by the tyres). Thankfully it was accompanied by decent weather for a change. Which only adds to the enjoyment, I didn't even mind paying ÂŁ4/$6 for a box of fries.

I couldn't believe the roar that went up when Vettel stopped. Seems the tide has turned a little on him. Don't know if it was him dominating or the 'Multi 21' fiasco.

Plus there were British winners in GP2 and GP3 so I was pretty happy. I was glad Nico won, I hope its the start of his push for the title. :)

And I've just seen this over on another forum...

Ticket prices for the New Jersey Grand Prix will be sold at an average price of $563 according to UBS.

Passes for the prestigious Paddock Club will be priced at $4,255 for the race which will be run on a street circuit in front of the Manhattan skyline.

http://motorsportsta...563-on-average/

:jawdrop:

I hope that's false, it wouldn't surprise me but for that price I could go to Austin & get a decent motel room. Which sucks cause its close to home & I WANT TO GO

Well, it sounds like Audi may have plans for the US next year...

http://www.racer.com...article/301475/

It's interesting to discuss what Audi might be doing, but we have not decided yet to go into any open-wheel program, therefore I really can't give you any comment on that, and the same is true on sports cars. We have been in negotiation with [the IndyCar Series] and received information; we looked in detail into that, and we have had many meetings with [Grand-Am] about the new series. Still, it's difficult to find the right thing to do for the United States in the short-term future.”

Seriously, build a DP & get an engine deal in Indycar.... It is needed!!!

EDIT:

Forgot to mention this but I found it rather interesting...

http://grandprix247....2014-f1-engine/

Asked if Le Mans might also be an option for Ferrari in the coming years, the Maranello based F1 team’s boss Domenicali said: “The new turbo engine for introduction in F1 next year would allow some interesting projects.

“At the moment I cannot say more,” he told Italian newspaper La Stampa.

The plot thickens... :lol:

baltimoreravens.png

Last weekend at the (famous) Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, SĂ©bastien Loeb, in a Peugeot 208 T16, completely obliterated the previous record set last year by Rhys Millen by ~1.5 minutes! (Old Record: 9:46.164; New Record; 8:13.878)

Video of the run here:

Bonus video of stupid people:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the IndyCar Race at Pocono will be shown on ABC/Sportsnet ONE at 12 p.m. EDT (about 1hr 15 min from the time of this post).

Some notes:

-Indianapolis-style start (rows of 3 cars)

-Marco Andretti on pole; Ryan Hunter-Reay is 2nd; James Hinchcliffe is 3rd (Rest of the starting lineup)

-New track record: 221.273 MPH (by somewhere around 10 MPH)

I think this will be an interesting race.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mario Andretti contemplates another racing comeback

Well if Paul Newman could race at 80...

MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

Results from Germany...

Well, we got someone winning in their home country but its not surprise on who it was...

1. Vettel

2. Raikkonen

3. Grosjean

4. Alonso

5. Hamilton

6. Button

7. Webber

8. Perez

9. Rosberg

10. Hulkenberg

Also to make matters worse for Sauber, there are reports going around that Hulkenberg has terminated his contract with Sauber and Sauber is looking for help.

IndyCar in Pocono. I was impressed with the race & I don't care for Pocono. It wasn't a great day for Andretti's cars though, Hinchcliffe wrecked as did RHR.

1. Dixon

2. Kimball

3. Franchitti

4. Power

5. Newgarden

6. Pagenaud

7. Wilson

8. Castroneves

9. Carpenter

10. Andretti

100 win for Ganassi or Target, 200 for Honda

Next week is Toronto for a double header while F1 has another break until Hungary in 3 weeks.

baltimoreravens.png

IndyCar Series @ Toronto Saturday and Sunday at 3 p.m. EDT on NBCSN/Sportsnet. Franchitti and Bourdais on the front row for Race 1. Standing start for Race 1.

(Unfortunately I can't watch it, as I don't have NBCSN.) Stupid expensive 2nd tier TV packages...

IndyCar Series @ Toronto Saturday and Sunday at 3 p.m. EDT on NBCSN/Sportsnet. Franchitti and Bourdais on the front row for Race 1. Standing start for Race 1.

(Unfortunately I can't watch it, as I don't have NBCSN.) Stupid expensive 2nd tier TV packages...

Have no fear

Vipbox.tv. It's how I watch all my sports I don't care for cable/satellite

Have no fear

Nice! And thanks! Hope this does not screw up my computer.

Have no fear

Stop promoting piracy...aka...THEFT.

Race 1 Results:

1. Dixon

2. Bourdais

3. Franchitti

4. Andretti

5. Kannan

6. Castroneves

7. Conway

8. Hinchcliffe

9. Pagenaud

10. De Silvestro

Race 2:

1. Dixon

2. Castroneves

3. Bourdais

4. Franchitti

5. Viso

6. Kimball

7. Conway

8. Wilson

9. Andretti

10. Taglani

Dixon gets an extra $100,00 for his sweep while Bourdais get's a broken trophy...

Mid-Ohio on Aug 4

baltimoreravens.png

I've not caught up with the Indy race yet, so I've skipped those posts above. (And its still looking likely that it'll be my last Indy race on TV for a while. :( )

Anyway...

Just wanted to mention the bizarre story from the DTM at the weekend. Audi's Mattias Ekström was disqualified from 1st place after his father emptied a water bottle into his overall pocket as he celebrated with the team. This meant he was in breach of parc ferme rules.

This gave Robert Wickens his first win in the series.

Here's a clip for those curious...

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

Looks like Sauber is saved.... By the Russians & a 17 year old will be driving for them....

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/8825043/Russian-trio-come-to-Sauber-s-rescue

Just weeks after the team confirmed that it is struggling financially with some claiming they might not see the end of the current season, Sauber announced it had signed deals with three Russian companies.

Team owner Peter Sauber had revealed over the weekend that they were in negotiations about a deal that will see them remain in the sport for many years and the new partnership was confirmed on Monday.

Russian entities Investment Corporation International Fund, the State Fund of Development of Northwest Russian Federation and the International Institute of Aviation Technologies have all come on board.

SN: Dang, I was hoping BMW would come back :(

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/8825408/Russian-teen-heading-to-Sauber

Sauber confirmed on Monday that it had secured its long-term F1 future after signing partnerships with Russian companies Investment Corporation International Fund, the State Fund of Development of Northwest Russian Federation and the International Institute of Aviation Technologies.

As part of the agreements, the 17-year-old Sirotkin will join the Hinwil squad's development programme "to prepare him as a racing driver for the team in 2014".

Once again... Paid drivers take over while the guys that are good are sitting & waiting & hoping *cough cough* Valsechi *cough cough*

Other notes involved, Lotus is pretty confident that both Kimi & Roman will be back while Ricciardo has been called up to the YDT for Red Bull

http://grandprix247.com/2013/07/16/ricciardo-a-step-closer-to-red-bull-race-seat-after-silverstone-test-call-up/

Last but not least in the NO DUH section, Marussia will have Ferrari engines.

baltimoreravens.png

Archived