Open Wheel Racing Chat 2013

rvrdgsfn

I love F1, but the politics just might turn me off to it.

The politics have always been there and always will be.

What this situation essentially boils down to is that there are two separate championships being fought at once. The Drivers Championship and the Constructors (team) championship. Of course each driver wants to be crowned champion, but the majority of the money for the teams (other than sponsors) comes from their final place in the constructors standings. So you have the teams not wanting the two drivers to crash and eliminate each other from the race, whereas the drivers want as many points as possible for themselves.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EDIT: On Club Lexus website the date that was written.... April 1.... Possible Fooling, so until then unless it comes to truth, then its a joke... Although now their are rumors of Kimi going to Red Bull.

http://formula-one.s...-red-bull-seat/

Kimi Raikkonen is "a candidate" to replace Mark Webber at Red Bull, team owner Dietrich Mateschitz has admitted.

In the wake of the 'Multi-21' team orders affair, Red Bull denied speculation Webber's role as teammate to World Champion Sebastian Vettel is now untenable.

But even billionaire Mateschitz, a known strong supporter of 36-year-old Webber, agrees that the Australian could leave at the end of his 2013 contract.

"Whether he retires, only he will choose," Austrian Mateschitz told Speed Week.

"(But) Mark is definitely a candidate for 2014.

Mark on the other hand may have another job in waiting...

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/8615189/Webber-set-for-F1-exit-

Webber, though, may not stay in Formula One next year as he Germany's Bild claims he is in talks with Porsche to spearhead their return to Le Mans in 2014.

The F1 veteran took part in the 1998 and 1999 Le Mans with Mercedes, but he could be behind the wheel of the new LMP1 sportscar at next year's race if the German marque has its way.

baltimoreravens.png

Why go for a 'veteran'? Why not promote JEV or the more obvious Ricciardo?

Its not like Vettel is a newbie himself, so he can be the old hands on the rudder of RBR. Plus will the Iceman put up with the potential shenanigans of the fizzy drink golden boy?

Its the same with rumours of Vettel going to Ferrari. Can't see it happening or even if it does, actually working while Alonso is there. Remember the fractions of '07?

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

It seems either people are gullible or its picking up steam.... Mainly due to Honda rumors & Infiniti

http://www.formulaspy.com/topnews/272-toyota-to-return-to-f1-in-2014-as-lexus-rumours

Japan may be represented in F1 again next year, with rumours circulating that Toyota will re-enter in 2014, albeit under their Lexus moniker.

Toyota last raced in F1 from 2002 until 2009, and despite having reasonable results with drivers like Jarno Trulli & Timo Glock in the last couple of those years, the project was deemed a failure, and the team pulled out, citing that F1 was 'no longer in touch with their customer base', as well as the global financial downturn playing havoc with the motor industry.

In late 2012, executives at Toyota said they might reconsider this move, especially with the clean slate with the regulations for 2014. Managing Director Kiyotaka Ise has been very positive about the increased use of energy recovery systems from 2014, and with Infiniti stepping up their presence in F1, it appears Toyota are opting to introduce their luxury hybrid-focused marque's name to the sport.

It is rumoured that the highest echelons of management at Toyota have signed off on the decision to return and given their full support to the move, and formal application will occur for 2014. Rumours also abound that Japanese driver Kamui Kobayashi has been approached about the position.

baltimoreravens.png

The cap on the number of F1 teams is 13 (26 cars) last time I checked.

*Remembers USF1's unsuccessful attempt to field a car.*

*Sigh*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The International V8 Supercars Championship is doing another free live stream of a racing weekend, this time at Symmons Plains Raceway near Launceston, Tasmania (Quick Fact: Marcos Ambrose's hometown). http://www.v8superca....au/v8live/live

(First the NRL starts doing free live streaming, now V8 Supercars [though I don't know for how long]. I'm starting to speak in an Australian accent. :wacko: )

MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

So I just had the weirdest thought occur to me....

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/03/alfa-romeo-sale-part-of-fiat-audi-talks-report.html

For those that follow the automotive world, Audi under Volkswagen is rumored to buy Alfa Romeo from Fiat so they can get the funds to fully own Chrysler (best things that's happened to them IMHO) so it got me thinking...

If VW buy Alfa & everything that they own, VW can kill 2 birds with one stone. They get in but use the Alfa name & for the history buffs, Alfa was in F1 during the early days so they have history. Could we see a Alfa return to F1???

baltimoreravens.png

Although it had a few good moves and a bit of action, I found Shanghai to be a bit of a snoozefest.

And wacky rumour of the day, via a thread on Autosport and Twitter - Webber maybe out. Apparently signed a 5 year deal with Porsche. Yet to be confirmed at this time.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

Although it had a few good moves and a bit of action, I found Shanghai to be a bit of a snoozefest.

And wacky rumour of the day, via a thread on Autosport and Twitter - Webber maybe out. Apparently signed a 5 year deal with Porsche. Yet to be confirmed at this time.

This wouldn't surprise me, after seeing his performance, grid penalty and all.... I wouldn't be surprised. Now this is to the WEC team & not some unknown Porsche F1 team I take it right HB?

Now to big news for open wheel in the US....

http://www.racer.com/indycar-or-sports-cars-could-be-on-audis-expanded-us-racing-agenda/article/288812/

Audi is evaluating programs in IndyCar, Daytona Prototypes and DTM America as it looks to ramp up its involvement in U.S. motorsports.

The German marque's new research and development boss Wolfgang Durheimer revealed that Audi is in the process of making key decisions about its motorsport future in North America and could decide early in the summer in time for a program or programs to be launched for 2014.

Ullrich left the door open to a possible Prototype USRC entry by Audi, but Durheimer went further and stated that he was in favor of a move into the top class of the merged U.S. sports car series.

"I am personally in favor of Daytona Prototypes, because I think it is important to make overall wins," he explained. "Class wins [with the R8 GRAND-AM] are nice, but at the end of the day you have to win the race."

Durheimer said it was too early to say whether Audi would build its own chassis in addition to an engine or put its own bodywork on one of the three existing DP chassis on the market. He stressed that an Audi USCR car would definitely "look like an Audi."

INDYCAR ALSO A POSSIBILITY

An entry into IndyCar as an engine supplier is also possible, according to Durheimer.

"Another opportunity would be IndyCar, which I think is still very popular and the Indy 500 is an outstanding race," he said.

VW and Audi were part of the discussions that resulted in the new IndyCar engine formula introduced ahead of last year.

Durheimer also underlined Audi's support for the idea of DTM America, which is due to start in 2015 or '16, and explained that it was the brand's intention to compete when the series comes on stream.

I'd say the DP is almost guaranteed at this point, of course I would love to see Audi in IndyCar, although part of me still wants them in F1.

baltimoreravens.png

Heh, the race overall wasn't too bad. The last five laps or so making up for the first fifty.

As much as I despise Vettel, I'll give him credit, ripping off 11 seconds of Hamilton's 11.2s lead in a mere four laps was nicely done. Now just don't do it again.

Now here comes Bahrain, a race frankly, that I hope gets scrubbed from the calendar with the new GP's coming online. Over the history of the event I can't think of anytime that I've found it worth it.

Archived