Open Wheel Racing Chat 2013

rvrdgsfn

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caterham's car... Meh, you can tell a difference without Fernades' sponsors.

2026493503.jpg

Edit: On another note, we could have a 4th engine supplier joining next year

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/02/04/fourth-engine-manufacturer-join-f1/

A new engine manufacturer is considering joining Formula One, according to Mercedes’ team bosses.

Mercedes executive director Toto Wolff said he was certain the new engine regulations would take effect from next year:

“I’m 100% sure that the new engine is going to come. All the manufacturers are pretty far with their engine. You’re probably going to see a fourth one joining.

Team principal Ross Brawn said the new engine formula for 2014 was more likely to attract new entrants than the current one:

“In some ways it’s a great opportunity, in some ways it’s slightly painful, going into this new engine. But it’s a step I think we need to make at some stage because the current engine, the V8, has become a bit archaic.

“It doesn’t appeal to new manufactures, or new manufacturers don’t want to come in and make a V8 engine, normally aspirated, the the technology is different now. but the new regulations are making it more attractive.

Also, Toro Rosso wants to switch to Renault engines, although I kept hearing a rumor of Williams switching to Mercedes engines next year.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/8473356/Toro-Rosso-want-Renault-power

"We are in negotiations with Renault and then we will see. No contract has been signed so far," said team boss Franz Tost. "This for sure would be an advantage because if you are racing with a Renault engine we would have the same gearbox as Red Bull, because this is possible from the regulation side.

"We will use the synergies that the regulations will allow us to do."

baltimoreravens.png

But is that Nico in the odd numbered car? Is that just a promo, or did they give him the nod over Lewis as the #1

I wouldn't read too much into car numbers. It is more a convention that the '1st drivers' have the lower number than a rule, say.

I don't what it is, but it just reminds me of an IRL car. (I'm assuming its the livery).

adam-cooper-marussia-b.jpg

Lack of sponsors leaving the car look more plain maybe?

Caterham's car... Meh, you can tell a difference without Fernades' sponsors.

2026493503.jpg

I still think they should go with the yellow stripe down the middle of the car. Even if that was associated with Lotus as opposed to Caterham. It was a great look.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

If this happens, he's going to be a threat in IndyCar...

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-penske-gives-allmendinger-indycar-test/

Penske confirmed Thursday morning that Allmendinger is testing an Indy car for him on Feb. 19 at Sebring, Fla. with the intent of becoming a part-time driver in the third Team Penske car on the IZOD IndyCar circuit.

The 31-year-old Californian, named after A.J. Foyt who was kicking butt in Champ Car seven years ago before heading south, is getting another opportunity with the most successful owner in Indy-car history.

“I felt bad about his situation, people make mistakes and we wanted to try and get him back on his feet after the mess he was in,” said Penske, referring to Allmendinger’s suspension by NASCAR last summer after failing a drug test.

“So we’ll get him back in a car at Sebring and try and get some sponsorships for a few races and maybe Indy would be his re-launch.”

Also, E.J. Viso will be in a 4th Andretti car

baltimoreravens.png

Crazy rumour of the night (which is to be taken with a huge pinch of salt, and is only from one source).....

"McLaren have purchased Cosworth."

Stranger things have happened I guess. If any more info appears I'll let you know, but for now its best viewed as a rumour.

It depends, how reliable is James Allen HB?

baltimoreravens.png

It depends, how reliable is James Allen HB?

Well I don't know.. some say he's quite good with breaking the odd story, while others suggest he likes to "put stories out there" (allegedly).

Until the story gets more traction, I'll keep an open mind, however it shouldn't stop the speculation. The time frame is quite good, if the current deal with Mercedes runs out at the end of this season (or is it next?) they would have enough time to work on their own engines etc.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

I will be attending the 12 Hours of Sebring race this year with my father, brother, and my brother's friend's father (my brother's friend past away in 2002).

I'm not sure what to expect except a lot of racing, beer, and boobs.

Archived