Blue Devils (My First Vector!)

C-Squared

I used to visit this site in the 90's as a child so I could print sheets with team logos for my football card binders - great to see its grown so much! :)

I downloaded an Illustrator trial to try my first vector. I am a volleyball coach at a high school and want to come up with fundraising ideas... I decided to design logos for the boys and girls teams for merchandizing purposes. So far, I only have a logo in the works for the girls... I kept volleyball out of the logo in case we can expand the logo's use for more teams in the school.

Our school's teams are the "Blue Devils."

Girlslogo.jpg

I am 100% new to Illustrator and would love any advice you can offer! Thanks!

I used to visit this site in the 90's as a child so I could print sheets with team logos for my football card binders - great to see its grown so much! :)

I downloaded an Illustrator trial to try my first vector. I am a volleyball coach at a high school and want to come up with fundraising ideas... I decided to design logos for the boys and girls teams for merchandizing purposes. So far, I only have a logo in the works for the girls... I kept volleyball out of the logo in case we can expand the logo's use for more teams in the school.

Our school's teams are the "Blue Devils."

Girlslogo.jpg

I am 100% new to Illustrator and would love any advice you can offer! Thanks!

First Vector :therock:... Very impressive they're gonna love that logo I know most High School's don't have custom Logo's so this is great, just point the tips of the Horns up a tad bit, other than that you're very talented great job!

Now this is going to sound overly critical, and that isn't my intention. I am just going to be thorough in my critique in the efforts you take it to heart and use it as motivation to improve. I appreciate the same critique on my own work, it challenges me to become better. Now, for the things I suggest....as far as the horns, which seems to be every other poster's point you can improve on, I agree you need to make them have more flow with the head and really could use, as someone else said, "aggression" added to them. Also, make them actually protruding from her forehead instead of just popping out of the top of her head. I would also add more definition to the hair. As it looks right now, it is just a big blue mass swooping away from the back of her head. I do like the rendering of the face but if I had to be nit-picky, I would say add some more detail to the nose and a very subtle definition to the teeth, to make it look like she has some instead of a big white block in her mouth. Like I said, I'm not tearing down your work, in fact for a first-time vector it's pretty amazing. I am just trying to show you where you could build on and practice in future works, not just this one. Hope it helps and if you ever need other pointers, feel free to PM me or any other member of the board or just look at some of the topics in the forum that you think may already have answers you are seeking. Again, pretty damn impressive job.

UniJ

Now this is going to sound overly critical, and that isn't my intention. I am just going to be thorough in my critique in the efforts you take it to heart and use it as motivation to improve. I appreciate the same critique on my own work, it challenges me to become better. Now, for the things I suggest....as far as the horns, which seems to be every other poster's point you can improve on, I agree you need to make them have more flow with the head and really could use, as someone else said, "aggression" added to them. Also, make them actually protruding from her forehead instead of just popping out of the top of her head. I would also add more definition to the hair. As it looks right now, it is just a big blue mass swooping away from the back of her head. I do like the rendering of the face but if I had to be nit-picky, I would say add some more detail to the nose and a very subtle definition to the teeth, to make it look like she has some instead of a big white block in her mouth. Like I said, I'm not tearing down your work, in fact for a first-time vector it's pretty amazing. I am just trying to show you where you could build on and practice in future works, not just this one. Hope it helps and if you ever need other pointers, feel free to PM me or any other member of the board or just look at some of the topics in the forum that you think may already have answers you are seeking. Again, pretty damn impressive job.

UniJ

Ahh no are you kidding? Thank you, this is fantastic - gives me a lot to work with!

I will take another crack at a few things and post an update (with a font in the mix hopefully)

First Vector :therock:... Very impressive they're gonna love that logo I know most High School's don't have custom Logo's so this is great, just point the tips of the Horns up a tad bit, other than that you're very talented great job!

Ha well I will admit that I have been a freelance designer for years - I've just always used Photoshop for my work

I think you're off to a really good start (eyes, nose, and mouth), but the shape of the head, especially the volume of hair, seems to be too much. I'd suggest more sleek and feminine tweaks without losing the strength and aggression projected in your current version.

some suggestions:

horns closer to the hairline around the temples

higher cheekbones

smaller and simpler oval shaped ear (unless of course you decide to cover the ear with hair)

hair that isn't reminiscent of a dead buffaslug hat

Its very good, but i do agree that the hair is a bit too big. Its giving me a bit of a Joe Dirt vibe right now. I think you have nailed the face though, just make the hair more flowing and less bulky and you're golden.

Archived