New Stadium for the Milwaukee Bucks - the London Olympic Arena?

Gothamite

I was for it until I saw it (and read about how icky the whole process was). My distaste for boboism certainly doesn't help, either.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I guess it would match the Art Museum, kind of.

I'd be much more excited about that if I weren't absolutely sure they'd stick this place on one of the current arena sites, or across the street from the BC (a good couple miles from the Art Museum, for those unfamiliar with the city).

I wonder if, after buying the arena, dismantling it, shipping it across the ocean and half of the country, and converting it to meet top-tier North American arena standards, if there'd be any real savings over that $500M price tag.

Yeah, there sure would be. A really generous cost for the relocation might be $100 million. Put another (again, generous) $100 million toward land acquisition, and another $40 million toward customization of the facility, and you're still in at $250 million - a steal by NBA facility standards.

nav-logo.png

I think we're missing the most important point in all of this... nobody in Milwaukee wants this friggin' thing. Half of us don't even want a low-rent NBA franchise that can't do any better than scraping for the bottom seed in a league where over half the teams make the playoffs and getting swept out of the first round.

In the event that this will not be in any remote proximity to the MAM, I can't think of anything more incongruous to good old bricks-and-steel downtown Milwaukee than a big shiny white cylinder. I mean, with dismantling it and shipping it over by air, they're literally dropping it into the city.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wonder where in Milwaukee they'd put it? Tear down the Bradley center..or maybe the U.S cellular arena?

Since this arena would essentially replace the Bradley Center, it would make more sense to tear that down. Not only does the Cell have way too much history (NBA Finals, NCAA Tourneys, MU's 1977 title run, UWM's 2005 Sweet Sixteen run, only venue in WI that The Beatles ever played, etc.) but without it, Milwaukee would have no indoor venues with a capacity between 2,500 and 18,000... that's way too big of a gap.

That said... they can keep this thing the hell away from Milwaukee as far as I'm concerned. They want to add 8,000 seats to it? Why? So the Bucks can play in front of 2,000 more empty seats?

Also, the Admirals still need a place to play. If Milwaukee is seriously considering doing this, I guess it means they've finally abandoned whatever NHL ambitions they may have had.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived