Houston Texans pet peeve

Things could have been worse. When Lamar Hunt moved the Dallas Texans to Kansas City, he originally wanted to keep the Texans nickname.

The Kansas City Texans...you reckon that would get some discussion on this board?

Yup. They'd be the football equivalent of the Utah Jazz.

Things could have been worse. When Lamar Hunt moved the Dallas Texans to Kansas City, he originally wanted to keep the Texans nickname.

The Kansas City Texans...you reckon that would get some discussion on this board?

Yup. They'd be the football equivalent of the Utah Jazz.

You laugh, but there is probably quite a few people in Kansas City originally from Texas, whereas in Utah, music is against the law. :-P

iq5b7nF.png

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stallions would've been very boring and Apollos just doesn't do anything for me. Houston Sharpstown High School uses the Apollos mascot. Texans is fine by me because as I said there is history. The Texans winning the Battle of San Jacinto against Mexico led by General Sam Houston. Houston Texans. Makes perfect sense to me. Just as like the New England Patriots. Sure Texans sounds redundant due to the state name but being a Texan was like being a rebel. They were called Texians or Texicans when Mexico ruled.

Wow. Apples to Volkswagens there.

If the Mets were the "New York New Yorkers", you'd have a case. But their nickname is in no way analogous to "Texans" for all the reasons discussed above.

Yeah I think the phillies would probably be the Best comparison in American sports. I don't mind their name, personally.

Well, now we're apples to potatoes. Closer, but still not really.

"Philadelphia Philadelphians" would be apt. But "Phillies" is at least a derivative, which would make the Texans' nickname palatable.

Wow. Apples to Volkswagens there.

If the Mets were the "New York New Yorkers", you'd have a case. But their nickname is in no way analogous to "Texans" for all the reasons discussed above.

Yeah I think the phillies would probably be the Best comparison in American sports. I don't mind their name, personally.

Well, now we're apples to potatoes. Closer, but still not really.

"Philadelphia Philadelphians" would be apt. But "Phillies" is at least a derivative, which would make the Texans' nickname palatable.

Yeah texans is definitely better than houstonians, or housties.

Imagine the confusion of Kansas city texans. Would they play in Missouri??

Archived