Houston Texans pet peeve

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one who EXTREMELY hates the Texans' name? I wish Bud Adams hadn't retired the Oilers name so they could use it.

I remember when they had the press conference the day they selected their name the owner said they really wanted the name "Stallions" but could not come up with a logo much different than what the Denver Broncos are using. Please......you can't tell me in this world today some graphic designer could not come up with something even more powerful and better looking than the Bronco logo. What also bothers me is their colors. I know they are derived from the Texas state flag but the red, white and blue are already over used in the NFL just like the color of navy blue...........

Are Houston players automatically granted citizenship in Texas? Otherwise you could be a Texan Texan if you were born there, but others might be Californian Texans, Michigander Texans or even Carolinian Texans.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The socks bug me the most. Red with blue pants looks so much better. The name is great. Especially considering the history of the Texans fighting for independence at San Jacinto.

Yeah, I understand the history behind the name, but then you could easily just rename the 49ers the San Francisco Californians after the rebels who fought against the Mexicans in the Mexican-American War. "Texans" would actually be perfect for a college team name, such as the University of Houston Texans. It just doesn't sound professional enough for the NFL in my opinion.

I saw them play in the Hall of Fame game in their first seson. That game is basically played in a glorified high school stadium in Canton, Ohio, so you get really close to the field. They brought their cheerleaders (let's just say... attractive young ladies) and I swear one kept saying "Go, Texas!" all game long. Made sense to her I guess... she was from Texas, they were from Texas...

Well, "Canadiens", maybe. But "Canucks" is a regional nickname, the difference between "Americans" and "Yankees" or "New Yorkers" and "Knickerbockers".

If they were the Texas version of Canucks or Knicks (if such a name exists), I'd think it an inspired name. But they aren't. So it's a silly name.

My Texans issues: 1) Apollos was a much cooler option, and it was in the running. It says "Houston" to me more than "Texas". 2) The Houston logo makes more sense for a team called Cowboys and the Cowboys' logo makes perfect sense for a team called "Texans". It is as if they were switched at birth. 3) The jerseys have the cool red shoulder "strip", but the pants have a boring traditional stripe with the middle stripe way too thick for the two outside stripes. It would be much better if both pants (blue and white) had a strip of red just like the jerseys do.

I don't even think that the navy pants + red socks look is good. It's way better than navy+navy, but a high white sock with a navy or red (or navy and red) stripe would be better than either current option.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

my two cents...

The name is not that bad, it is the third iteration of football "Texans" (AFL Dallas Texans, WFL Houston Texans, CFL San Antonio Texans). It almost seemed that at some point someone was going to use it in a long-term fashion (still waiting on a long-term major league team called the Express...)

It also has similar other-state precedent in the Miami Floridians (and later, simply the Floridians) of the ABA and The Hawaiians of the WFL.

Such an appelation only works when you have a distinctive state that has its own readily recognized culture, iconography, and history. Texas is clearly such a state. "Texans" works where "Indianans" or "North Carolinians" would not (no disrespect to either state) because when the average person thinks Texas or Texans, a large and commonly-shared shared common imagery (or you can call it stereotypical imagery) pops into just about everyone's head: cowboy hats, six-guns, the Lone Star, the Alamo, the West, drawl or twang speech, oilfields, cows, barbecue, yada yada.

"Texans" also works where others wouldn't because it is not a mouthful like those above two examples, or say, "Pennsylvanians".

Finally, General, any team that called itself "Californians" would have to deal with this imagery popping into people's heads: http://www.hulu.com/watch/489154

It is what it is.

Archived