Houston Texans pet peeve

I don't even think that the navy pants + red socks look is good. It's way better than navy+navy, but a high white sock with a navy or red (or navy and red) stripe would be better than either current option.

I agree. The red socks with navy pants never looked quite right to me (even if it was 1000x better than their current look). They should make white socks with the same striping pattern as their white pants.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find this so fascinating since it always seemed there was such a -- for lack of a better term -- circle jerk for all things Texan around these parts. I grew up in Houston and just started following the Oilers right before they left, then moved away before the Texans began play. So I'm one of the rare individuals who doesn't have a "favorite" NFL team.

I did follow the incarnation of the Texans, though. There was no way they could come up with an identity that came close to matching the Oilers (I genuinely believe it's one of the top-5 all-time looks in the NFL's history). Absolute shame that it was discarded (though credit to the Titans for doing a pretty good "modernization" of the colors/uniform).

In my opinion the Texans name is particularly bland and the uniforms match that (they're safe and simple -- not unlike the recent Astros re-brand...which I'm still disappointed they didn't at the very least carry over the open star even as a secondary mark). The logo, to me, was too cartoon-y from the get-go, but it works for the identity.

I definitely preferred Apollos or Toros to Texans. Stallions would've been consistently compared to Colts or Broncos so it was probably better to avoid. Honestly a simple renaming to "Toros" could be great for business -- especially since the NFL is HUGELY popular in Mexico...but the Texans are a distant third in popularity to Cowboys and Chargers.

Of course you'd have such an outcry from actual Texans who wouldn't be too pleased with that move.

Such an appelation only works when you have a distinctive state that has its own readily recognized culture, iconography, and history. Texas is clearly such a state. "Texans" works where "Indianans" or "North Carolinians" would not (no disrespect to either state) because when the average person thinks Texas or Texans, a large and commonly-shared shared common imagery

Indianans = Hoosiers, just sayin'. It is used, just not in pro sports.

Such an appelation only works when you have a distinctive state that has its own readily recognized culture, iconography, and history. Texas is clearly such a state. "Texans" works where "Indianans" or "North Carolinians" would not (no disrespect to either state) because when the average person thinks Texas or Texans, a large and commonly-shared shared common imagery

Indianans = Hoosiers, just sayin'. It is used, just not in pro sports.

Yes, the same goes for Nebraska being known as the Cornhusker State. Or the Oklahoma Sooners. Or Ohio State Buckeyes.

But...

Those teams have histories dating back more than 100 years. They were formed before pro sports even existed in America, really. They can cling to those identities because they are almost synonymous with the founding of their respective states.

Meanwhile, the Houston Texans were founded in 2002 and really had nothing to do with the birth of Texas or it's statehood. I think that's the major problem. It's not like they're the Packers or some super-early NFL franchise with decades of history. Also, don't overlook the already pre-existing Dallas Cowboys who really had already cemented themselves as Texas' football team.

I dunno, this whole thing would be like a college starting up and calling themselves the Nebraska State Nebraskan Corn Farmers. Or the Oklahoma Tech Prairie Schooner Wagons. Kind of a slap in the face to the already existing teams.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I like the name. No different from the Canadiens or Canucks.

Canadians is historic, and Canucks is representing national pride. They are not the Vancouver Brit Columbians.

Texans is also historic. We were an independent nation from 1836-46 before agreeing to annexation by the US. Imho there can be no more fitting nickname for a team from the city that was named for the Father of Texas.

I like the name. No different from the Canadiens or Canucks.

Canadiens is historic, and Canucks is representing national pride. They are not the Vancouver Brit Columbians.

Texans is also historic. We were an independent nation from 1836-46 before agreeing to annexation by the US. Imho there can be no more fitting nickname for a team from the city that was named for the Father of Texas.

I mean the team was founded in the late 1800s or early 1900s by "historic".

Imho there can be no more fitting nickname for a team from the city that was named for the Father of Texas.

Except for the fact that most of Texas couldn't care less about the team. The "Texans" run a very distant second amongst the people they claim to represent.

Not only is the nickname silly, it's ironic to boot.

If the franchise had rights to the name, I think the Houston Longhorns would be a solid name. Just make the horns on the logo longer and it's all good.

Green Bay Packers: 9x Pre-Super Bowl Era NFL Champions, 4x Super Bowl Champions, 3x NFC Champions

Indianapolis Colts: 2x Pre-Super Bowl Era NFL Champions, 2x Super Bowl Champions, 3x AFC Champions

Michigan Wolverines football: 11x National Champions, 8x Rose Bowl Champions, 3x Citrus/Capital One Bowl Champions

Detroit Tigers: 4x World Series Champions, 11x AL Pennant Winners

Detroit Pistons: 3x NBA Champions, 5x Eastern Conference Champions

Imho there can be no more fitting nickname for a team from the city that was named for the Father of Texas.

Except for the fact that most of Texas couldn't care less about the team. The "Texans" run a very distant second amongst the people they claim to represent.

While the Texans come nowhere close to matching the cowboys popularity in the state. The Texans recent success combined with the cowboys follies have put a small dent in the cowboys monopoly on the state. there was once a time you couldnt even catch the texans games in Austin because their affiliates would rather show the titans (Vince Young).

If the franchise had rights to the name, I think the Houston Longhorns would be a solid name. Just make the horns on the logo longer and it's all good.

You're kidding right? I don't see a certain university located 3 hours from Houston being thrilled with another team having the longhorn name in state. they've sued cities for having logos close to the trademarked longhorn logo.

Re "Texans," the word that always came to my mind was lazy. I understand it wasn't the only option but really?

At least they have "Houston" in front of it. There was a WFL team who were simply called...

a20792a12af9e8e2bcea1c_m.JPG

But countering one of the worst team names ever was one of the best/coolest player names ever: Sonny Sixkiller.

Hawaiians2.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Are Houston players automatically granted citizenship in Texas? Otherwise you could be a Texan Texan if you were born there, but others might be Californian Texans, Michigander Texans or even Carolinian Texans.

No. But players drafted by Pittsburgh are not forced to work in the steel industry either.

Am I the only one who EXTREMELY hates the Texans' name? I wish Bud Adams hadn't retired the Oilers name so they could use it.

I remember when they had the press conference the day they selected their name the owner said they really wanted the name "Stallions" but could not come up with a logo much different than what the Denver Broncos are using. Please......you can't tell me in this world today some graphic designer could not come up with something even more powerful and better looking than the Bronco logo. What also bothers me is their colors. I know they are derived from the Texas state flag but the red, white and blue are already over used in the NFL just like the color of navy blue...........

I almost never lament names as "generic", but to me "Stallions" would have been quite generic. Moreso than Texans. It's just one of those names that people give their fantasy team when they are not feeling creative.

I don't mind the Texans name. Particularly in the era (dating back to the 80s) of Heat, Wild, and Magic.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Apollos is a great fit with Houston's space culture (and Rockets + Astros).

It also gets away from the trope about everything in Texas being "wild west." While farms and ranching is a big part of Texas' culture, it's not the ONLY part of the culture and I appreciate the creativity to get away from another horse or cowboy team.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Apollos is a great fit with Houston's space culture (and Rockets + Astros).

It also gets away from the trope about everything in Texas being "wild west." While farms and ranching is a big part of Texas' culture, it's not the ONLY part of the culture and I appreciate the creativity to get away from another horse or cowboy team.

These are exactly the points I came here to make... well said! :D

Space-themed names work for Houston because the city's NASA history is pretty much unique to them. Texans is so generic that it was once the nickname of the Oilers' original AFL rivals from hated Dallas.

I don't like the name because they're not the only NFL team in Texas. Otherwise, it'd be fine. Bland, but fine.

This. Its a poor choice with another Texan team in the league.

Then again, Dallas brands itself as 'America's Team' when, last I checked, every other team played in the US as well.

My Texans issues: 1) Apollos was a much cooler option, and it was in the running.

Totally agree. It would've fit right in with the Astros and Rockets. Texans was a terrible name. It's as if they were simply trying to out-Texas the Cowboys.

You'd actually be surprised. They are definitely the second in popularity, but it seems for everyone that's a cowboys fan there's an equal amount of people that hate them. And the texans recent success has the cowboys on the decline, plus how can you hate JJ Watt?

The name, i really don't mind it or think it sounds odd. i think stallions would sound very terrible, Apollos like some mentioned above would've been a really cool name and tied in with the other sports teams and if we ever get an NHL team i think that would be a frontrunner.

However i love our identity from logos to uniforms. I think they knocked it out of the park in the first try. Also, unpopular opinion, but i like the navy socks with navy pants look, and i actually prefer our uniforms post nike.

Archived