Central Canada Hockey League *Real Life Project!*

JCRGraphix

Hey everybody. I actually get to design real live uniforms! The Central Canada Hockey League contacted me today, and right now I'm designing uniforms for their summer hockey program, as well as some other things we'll get to soon. The summer hockey teams use names from the WHA. The timing works out perfectly since I'm currently working on a for-fun WHA project here on CCSLC. So I decided to post some of my rough drafts here to get comments and criticism. Ultimately, whatever the CCHL says goes, but with all of your input, I can give them a well-polished product. Also, you'll have a hand in creating uniforms used by real live hockey players!

So the first team I'm working on are the Cougars. This is a design I already worked on on my WHA Project.

cougars_zpse743c1b3.png

To me, a cougar should be sleek in appearance. The original logo had that, but yours seems more like a fluffy (albeit sharp angled) tiger. Try using few lines and simple curves, keep it low and 'prowling'. Not only will it be more cougar-like but it will fit the C better.

Thanks for the excellent feedback, I'll work up something a little sleeker today.

Here's the description I gave the league.

"I tried incorporate quite a bit of symbology into my design. The logo is a Canadian maple leaf blowing in the wind, which not only bends it into the shape of a C representing the Central league, but also shows motion representing the CCHL's role as the place where legends like Steve Yzerman and Larry Robinson and so many others are developed and moved onward to greatness."

I really like that blowing leaf logo but I am not such a huge fan of how much of it is covered when the text is overlaid. Maybe put the text mostly under the logo like the older version?

I kinda agree with abqryan.

The leaf is pretty awesome...very striking.

The text over top takes away, IMO.

I really like that blowing leaf logo but I am not such a huge fan of how much of it is covered when the text is overlaid. Maybe put the text mostly under the logo like the older version?

I kinda agree with abqryan.

The leaf is pretty awesome...very striking.

The text over top takes away, IMO.

Good input, gents. I will be fixing this one up as well as presenting him with two more league logo options, both of which will be more traditional. If he decides not to go with the blowing leaf, we'll be pitching it to the Carleton Place Canadians, who basically copy the Montreal Canadiens logo.

I think the white text might look better if the leaf outline was switched to white as well, the other version with both those elements in gold looks more cohesive in my opinion.

I personally still like the blowing leaf much better than either of these.

On your "traditional" option, check your points. Lots of sloppy corners on the leaf, which I think takes away from it as a whole. If I were you, I'd go for a less traditional (ie taken right off the flag) maple leaf. It can be traditional while being unique ;)

Archived