Evs down Birds

OT game goes to Superiors in T-Bay

Building Blazers: 2 late 3rd period goals propel Inferno past Towers

Power-outage in the Canadian capital. Governors 3 Power 2

Espions blow Teamen out of water

Titanic stun heavily favoured Empire

Enjoy!

Matchday53_zpsf5b5d198.png

As I said, I made up for missing yesterday. Here are matchdays 54 and 55. Standings will now officially come every 5 matchdays, so at 55, 60, 65 and 70. Since this is 55, standings will probably come with tomorrow's 56. Ok?

Matchday 54: 54 consisted of teams in different divisions, same conferences and same countries.

Spikes goalie gamble pays off vs Vegas. 4-0 Spikes

Scouts rally in 3rd to pull out impressive win vs Superiors. 4-1 Scouts

Titanic erase 3-0 Towers' lead to take OT decision. 4-3 (OT) Titanic

Washington Powerless in big Teamen victory. 5-3 Teamen

Blowout in the Capital. 5-1 Espions

Slumping Blockbusters fall 3rd consecutive. 2-1 Red Birds

Empire can't caral the Fire. 3-2 Inferno

Crazy 7-goal 1st period leads to Millionaire win. 5-3 Millionaires

Matchday54_zpsfc73d7bd.png

Matchday 55: was another rivalry week. 7th out of 12. These matchups are going to be showing up very often in this winding down season, as we have 6 of the last 16 matchdays are rivalry weeks; same division, conference and country. Half here were OT games, and no doubt one of the most entertaining matchdays in recent memory. Not much parity between rivals here, so this final stretch should be very interesting.

OT grudge match between Millionaires and Scouts draw most PIM this season. 3-2 (OT) Millionaires

Neon take low-scoring affair. 1-0 (OT) Neon

Evs Blank Superiors in Winterpeg. 2-0 Evergreens

Tight OT game goes to Spikes. 4-3 (OT) Spikes

The other battle of Ontario brings out the best in Governors. 5-2 Governors

Score reflects nothing of this game. Inferno run into great goaltending, and have some bad luck with theirs. 5-0 Power

Espions beat Halifax in their own barn. 2-1 (OT) Espions

Teamen and Empire involved in simply amazing game. Empire take it. 3-2 Empire

Matchday55_zps2d42ba01.png

Gosh, the Espions are tearing it up. I can't remember the last time they lost. They should be leading the league in points right? Sure feels like they should.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Gosh, the Espions are tearing it up. I can't remember the last time they lost. They should be leading the league in points right? Sure feels like they should.

Working on the standings now, I'd sure think so since LA has only, like, 1 point in 5 games or something like that.

Standings55_zps0cdc5ef0.png

I lied. I finished it by tonight. Here I go with ultimate insight part 2 on a fictional league! :woot:

Here we take a look at this crazy league. Even now, you can tell that this season's ending is going to be intense. Some very tight races, for some very important places(I'ma poet and I didn't even know it!).

We'll start with the Pacific division. As you can tell, the blockbusters' lead is slowly evaporating, and with the slump that they're on mixed with how hot the other 3 teams are, it has a chance of disappearing real quickly. The Scouts, Millionaires and Neon are all playing quite well right now, and find themselves at a very crucial point of their seasons, where they're within a game of each other. Obviously, ties are very possible here, despite that there's a lot of season left. The tiebreaker in the SLH is goal differential, the +/-. Yeah, so not only are they close in points, but also in the first tie-breaker. Talk about nail-biting!

As I said earlier in a post today, the divisional rival weeks remaining will cause a big impact in the final standings and playoff race. These games happen 12 times a year, where teams from the same division, conference and country match up. There, the Calgary Scouts play the Vancouver Millionaires a total of 5 more times, and the Las Vegas Neon take on the LA Blockbusters the same # of times. In a way, you kind of feel for the Neon. They don't have nearly as many games against those 2 other divisional teams that they're battling against. Their task to keep up: the 2nd best team in the SLH, LA. In another way though, you'd almost give the Neon an advantage over foes Vancouver and Calgary, as the other 2 are facing very hot teams, while the Neon get a LA team rapidly cooling off. No, the Blockbusters aren't a walk in the park by any means, but by the slim chance that they can't piece this back together, advantage Neon.

Let's go onto the Midwest division, where we 2 Canadian teams at the top, and 2 american ones in the cellar. One of those 2 canadian teams are the Winnipeg Evergreens. They have flied tremendously under the radar this season, and sit with the 2nd most wins in the SLH, and the 3rd most points. By any means, not a flashy team, with no players even in the top 20 in scoring, but the midwest is all about grinding teams. The Evs hold a 3 point lead on Thunder Bay, their 12-time opponent this year. By no means are the Evergreens safe atop the Midwest here, trying to make a bid for the Midwest title and a first round bye. The Superiors have been playing some of their best hockey lately, and it will be fun to say the least, to watch these 2 powerhouses match up another 5 times.

Boy, so the midwest is full of great teams then, right? uhhhh....no. Arizona and Chicago are anything but powerhouses. We'll start off with the spikes. Ahhh... the streaky spikes. For a while, it looked like the Spikes might be making a run, and suddenly, they've cooled down a bit. I personally wouldn't expect for them to continue their winning ways, but if they do, good for them. Then we have the Chicago Red Birds. After their second coaching change of the season, the team has played quite well. The Birds are still very alive in the playoff race, only 5 points behind the Neon for the 6th spot, but the way the teams that currently occupy those last few spots are playing, I'd say that It'll be real tough for the Red Birds to pull it out of the fire.

Now in the west, if the playoffs started today, the LA Blockbusters and Winnipeg Evergreens hold the top spot in their respective divisions, and a first round bye. LA's cushion is a tad comfier, but both titles are still reachable for a lot of teams. Next, the best non-division leading team, the Thunder Bay Superiors, would host the 6th seeded Las Vegas Neon for a 7-game series. Rivals Calgary and Vancouver would be in the 4-5 series, where their rivalry would likely be taken to a new level after last year's historic series in the west semis, and their last game in matchday 55, which drew over 100 PIM. The spikes trail the Neon for spot number 6 by 2 points, and the Red Birds sit 5 behind. Right now, aside from the race to get into the playoffs, the big race is between Vegas, Vancouver and Calgary. I'm sure that all 3 would rather a 4 or 5 spot, rather than 6 and having to face either Winnipeg or Thunder Bay.

Overall, the west is shaping out very interestingly. Everyone is still very much alive, and some big games will be coming up in the near future.

Sorry for how long that was. Get ready for a version for the east tomorrow! Enjoy reading, and if I get no comments for this, I'll likely cry. :P:D

If you read it thanks! If not.... I don't blame ya. Just a bunch of jibber-jabber about a fictional league.

Adios!

Ok! Here we go with the version for the east!

Let's start off with with the Central division, shall we. There, we see the Ottawa Governors, sitting at 2nd place in the Eastern conference, and in place for a 1st round bye, leading the division by 7 points over the Washington Power. The Power have been struggling lately, and it should be difficult for them to catch up. Speaking of struggling , we have the most struggling team of all, the Toronto Towers. Toronto has no won, in get this, 9 games! Their last win was on matchday 46, where they had a HUGE late 3rd period comeback against the aforesaid Washington team, in a 6-2 win. Since then, the Towers have gone 0-7-2, and are falling quickly. They occupy the 6th and final playoff spot in the east, only 3 points of a cushion over their Atlantic foe, the Halifax Titanic. Last.... and least is the Jacksonville Inferno. Ummmm.... yeah, maybe next year's Citrus should just start from scratch, rather than keep this roster's foundation. Jacksonville has never been able to reel off many good games this season, and are on pace to have one of the worst goal differential stats in years, since that disastrous 2014 season by the Vancouver Millionaires, who hold the worst record for any SLH team since its very early days. Since scoring in this year is done by drawing cards, just luck of the draw... I'd say that It'd be a great idea to have a few found of poker against the Jacksonville Inferno.

Of course 5 out of the last 16 weeks, we'll have the rivalry matchdays. Ottawa will have Toronto for those 5, while Washington has Jacksonville. You have to give the advantage in those two to the teams atop the division, Ottawa and Washington. Toronto has struggled not only lately, but against the Ottawa team all season, and, well, Jacksonville is Jacksonville.

Onto the ATlantic. The leading team here is the Montreal Espions, who have started to play like they did at the beginning of the season where they got points in their first 11 games before falling to the Blockbusters in LA. Les Espions have won 5 games in a row, for a +14 goal differential, and have won 7 out of 9. It's never comforting when the team right behind you in the standings is the defending champions, the New York Empire, of course after what shook out last season. Even with that however, it's pretty hard not to feel a bit better when you have an 11 point lead with only a possible 30 points left. Montreal needs 9 wins plus a point to wrap up the division, but of course, that's only if the empire goes 15-0 .Boston has been having a tough time lately, but are still very much alive, sitting on spot #4. Finally, who would have thought that the Halifax Titanic have the least wins in the SLH, and sit 2nd last in points, only 2 ahead of the Inferno. Of course, thanks to a terrible time to struggle for the Towers, Halifax is only 3 points out aswell. Not to much paity n this great league, eh?

If the playoffs started today, division leaders Ottawa and Montreal would hold byes, joining LA and Winnipeg. 3rd seeded New York would pay host to number 6 Toronto Towers in a 7 game series, Boston would host Washington in a series of the same length. Lots of season left though! *Jacksonville, Halifax, Arizona and Chicago would be eliminated*

Today's where that big gap will start, as I'm off on vacations today. Happy Holidays from the SLH everyone!

And on a side note, I think that each of the last 10 matchdays of the season will have standings, as it's the final stretch. I'll also include schedules for each team.

Cheers!

Archived