Montgomerie Implicates Bonds

NJTank

Wow this does not look good

Tim Mongomerie who is about to be banned for life from track is saying he gave Bonds roids.

Naturally Bonds is denying it, either way it dont look good for either man.

If Monty did say this then it looks like someone in trouble trying to sink someone selse which is never good.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1827368

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Actually, what he said is that the guy who is being accused of distributing the steroids to the players (whoever the guy is) told Montgomery that he gave steroids to Bonds, not that Montgomery gave them to Bonds himself. Bonds has said publicly that he does not know Montgomery and has threatened to take him to court over his accusation.

Well, Montgomery didn't give him the 'roids himself.

He says Conte told him Bonds got the undetectable steroid (now known as THG).

I'm no lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but that's what is called heresay.

Although in these steroid cases, it seems circumstantial evidence and nagging suspicions are given more credence than usual...a "where there's smoke, there's fire" approach...

[EDIT: Again, I don't refresh the thread and look what happens...]

It's not heresay, if it's something Conte said and Conte is the defendant. Little thing I learned from watching Law & Order. Personally, I think Conte will take a plea and give up all the athletes including Bonds.

True, it isn't heresay as far as Conte's case goes...but I suppose if it was Bonds' trial, it would be.

Wow this does not look good

Tim Mongomerie who is about to be banned for life from track is saying he gave Bonds roids.

Naturally Bonds is denying it, either way it dont look good for either man.

If Monty did say this then it looks like someone in trouble trying to sink someone selse which is never good.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1827368

:lol: when I first read the heading I thought you were referring to Colin Mongomerie, the golfer.

I saw, I came, I left.

SAN FRANCISCO -- Barry Bonds avoided specifics Thursday when asked about the latest doping allegations against him, instead unleashing a flurry of expletives toward sprinter Tim Montgomery.

Roid rage? :blink:

No, did not have leather seat to sit on

I saw, I came, I left.

LOL Colin is too busy whinning about fans cheering good golf shots as he chokes again.

Yeah, Ol' Colin is a bit dim, it seems. He just doesn't realize the more he complains, the louder they get.... :rolleyes:

Leave poor monty alone! He is way past his best anyway now, so best to just ignore him. Anyways his wife got sick of the whining recently as well and left him!!!

On the whole Conte/montgomerie/Bonds thing, this has been talked about for a little bit! THG is not undetectable, its a man made drug that the doping agencies didn't know about. Technically until Dwain Chambers, the British sprinter, was banned for taking it it wasn't even on a banned list.

I kind of agree with Tank that its a bit weak of montgomerie to bring this up now, as he faces a lengthy ban. But it will be interesting to see what transpires. And is drug taking worse than gambling on your own team??? :wacko:

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

No because... STEROIDS DON'T HELP. They add an extra 5-10 feet on the ball. I've seen multiple doctors and steroid experts say this. Steroids are known to help pitchers, more so than hitters, or so I've read. Hitting is about mechanics and bat speed, not necessarily about strength. I guarentee few guys in the league are taking steroids right now, and HR's are at a high this year. People like to say how HR totals were down last year when they first started testing... but that was just individual totals. League-wide HR's were up.

IUe6Hvh.png

That 5-10 feet can be the difference between a fly ball out and a home run.

And how many of Barry Bonds' HR's barely clear the wall? Surely the number of HR's that go out because of those extra 5-10 feet is less than the number of HR's he can't hit because he gets walked every freakin at bat. Steroids, and being too strong actually hurts your mechanics and slows down your bat speed. Since those are the main factors... how do they help?

IUe6Hvh.png

I'm no hitting coach, but are you seriously saying strength doesn't play into hitting distance? I can understand being too musclebound to get bat speed, but if strength didn't play a part, would you see players lifting weights?

Can't believe what I am reading! Seriously! Taking drugs to improve performance= cheating. in any circumstance If Bonds took drugs surely that is far worse than anything Pete Rose did?????

Pete Rose cheated. He bet on the sport, and that means he could have bet against Cincinatti, and intentionaly losing. That is the capital crime of baseball.

That 5-10 feet can be the difference between a fly ball out and a home run.

And how many of Barry Bonds' HR's barely clear the wall? Surely the number of HR's that go out because of those extra 5-10 feet is less than the number of HR's he can't hit because he gets walked every freakin at bat. Steroids, and being too strong actually hurts your mechanics and slows down your bat speed. Since those are the main factors... how do they help?

If they don't help, then why do players take them?

Intentional walks aren't cheating. Taking banned substances is. There's no justification in saying "I take them because they walk me, and so the 10-15 feet extra helps offset that." None.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Ok, first off... prove that he's taken substances. Then, and only then, can anyone criticize or put an asterisk next to what Barry Bonds has accomplished.

Secondly... I have heard discussions on Sporting News radios between steroid experts, people who are involved with coaching the game of baseball, and some sports radio personalities (including guys like Kevin Wheeler) discussing the effects of steroids in baseballs. In those discussions, you hear people who know what's they talking about discuss how little steroids actually help. Steroids help build muscle mass. Steroids can?t help you hit a 90mph fast ball, breaking ball, wicked slider, etc., however. Steroids can?t help you lay off the high heat, or take that outside cutter that just misses the plate. Steroids don?t do anything for your hand-eye coordination, or ensure you hit the ball with the sweet spot of the bat. Steroids won?t reduce popups or ground balls. The reason for the increases in HR's since the 1990's can be attributed to smaller strike zones, year-round personal trainers, the ability to watch a pitchers every at bat to know what he throws and when he throws it, better training facilities, and smaller ball parks.

Third thing. Players lift weights because it helps to keep them in shape. Muscle's help decrease the risk of injury. If you're as skinny as a twig with very little muscle, you're more likely to be injured. If you have more muscle, the chance of injury decreases. Steroids, however, throw off this whole little thing. If a player takes anabolic steroids, the chance for injury increases as opposed to decreasing with the added muscle. Ask yourself, how much time has Barry Bonds spent on the injured list? Not very much, would be the answer.

Somebody explain to me how since being big and strong is SO important towards hitting HR's -- why were Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Lou Gehrig, and just about every other predominant HR hitter since baseball has been a sport have been tiny guys that weighed under 200 lbs.?

The experts that follow baseball have learned most of this stuff. Why do the fans continue to act oblivious and point fingers at a guy who'm they dislike because of how he treats the media? Here's part of an article by Jayson Stark

We heard all the predictions this spring: We'd see fewer homers. We'd see less offense. We'd see fewer strikeouts, as some juiced-up pitchers' velocities declined. None of it has happened.

After games of Sunday, when all teams had finally completed their first 40 games, we asked Elias to compare this year's stats to the same period last year. What changes we found were microscopic. Literally. Take a look:

2004              2003 

Batting average                  .264              .263 

On-base percentage            .334              .335 

Slugging percentage            .421              .420 

Runs/game                            9.6              9.5 

Home runs/game                    2.2              2.1 

Strikeouts/game                  12.9            12.7 

ERA                                    4.38              4.39 

We're not sure how to explain that. And no one we've surveyed is, either. But we've heard some theories. Here are the most popular:

1) Steroids were way too convenient a one-stop explanation for the dawn of the powerball era. Which would mean this was clearly the most overblown story since Ted Williams' trip to the cryogenic freezer.

2) This testing program is so inadequate, it didn't address the problem.

3) Whatever effects there have been have affected hitters and pitchers equally.

4) The decline of some top players has caused a seesaw rise in everyone else's stats.

5) The "survey" testing that began last year had a bigger effect than people thought. And this is just a continuation of that trend.

At the moment, we lean toward some combination of almost all of the above. But we also think this is an indication that whatever changes we've seen in this sport over the last decade, they're not nearly as much a product of steroids as many people wanted to believe.

Barry Bonds is as patient of a hitter as you will see in the league. Additionally, has great mechanics and great bat speed. Bonds has only hit over 48 HR's in a season once in his career, so honestly... why accuse him? Griffey used to hit that many, and he has said he's never even considered taking steriods. Since we're jumping on guys without knowing what they have or have not done for a fact -- let's just accuse everyone of being juiced up!

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived