Looking for ideas for football team names

Whittier S

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I think Millers, I think the old baseball team. Blue Ox never made sense to me as a team name. It would be like calling a team the Lion or the Bear. But Blue Oxen sounds silly. Singular names only work well with more abstract concepts (at least to me, before anyone jumps in with Providence Steamroller or some such).

And I'm not 100% set on the names, I suppose. I changed the Columbus Voyagers to the Columbus Eagles--"The Eagle has landed".

rATMcmK.png

Ok. I'm taking a shot here.

Pittsburgh - Punishers (Not the comic book. Being from the Burg area, we love the ground and pound brusing running game with a hard hitting relentless defense.

Boston - Shamrocks

Tampa Bay - Hooligans

Columbus - Federals (If you look at the city team names in the past and recently, they names their team after the Civil War. NFLE, there was the Ohio Glory and the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Minnesota - Minotaurs (Sounds cool.)

Chicago - Bruisers

Houston - Hangmen

Syllables, rhythm, assonance, and it's a distinctly Minnesotan animal.

As a Language Arts teacher, where is the assonance?

I'm sure the general population does not want this to become a grammar discussion, but as a fellow teacher I thought of that as well. I wondered if he meant alliteration.

award%20sig.png

I'm sure the general population does not want this to become a grammar discussion, but as a fellow teacher I thought of that as well. I wondered if he meant alliteration.

Alliteration was my guess as well! Not really a grammar issue, more fig language. Hard to turn off the teacher "light" every once in awhile. Carry on. I was rooting for the Minnesota Lumberjacks though. Would like to see a well done Lumberjack logo on the boards.

Boston: Mariners

Tampa: Conquistadors

Pittsburgh: Ironmen (Yes, it's steel not iron but it brings up a similar image)

Columbus: Pioneers (This one is out there, but it connects to Christopher Columbus, and the Wright brothers mission "pioneering" aviation was based there. Again, way out there)

Minneapolis: Moose

Chicago: Inferno

Houston: Comets

Also, I don't know if you have one for Kansas City, but I have come up with possibly the most brilliant name ever, the Kansas City "Spouts" a culmination of the old hockey team the Scouts, and the fact that KC is the city of fountains. Just needed to get that idea out there.

Hey everyone, I'm probably gonna sound like an idiot here. But, I just joined and I'm really excited to show my hand-drawn NFL redesign, but I don't know why it says "You can't start a new topic" Sorry for being naive

Nope, not like an idiot at all. You need to post a bit around,, and contribute to the boards a bit before you can post a new topic. There's a set number, but i forget what it is. It's just so spammers and trolls don't go around starting new topic after new topic. Also, for the request forum, you always have those guys who have 1 post, which is a request for some logo or work that is without pay, and could be used for profit.

So just go around, eventually, it'll work. Welcome, and good luck with your series! :)

As a writer, I know I flubbed and meant consonance. Thinking on the fly, and should proofread before I hit "post".

rATMcmK.png

Guess who finally figured out how Multiquote works...

Minnesota - Minotaurs (Sounds cool.)

Minneapolis Minotaurs was my longest-used fantasy-football team name, and I thought about using it here, but I like Moose, besides the reasons I already mentioned, because a really long city name should have a short team name for balance.

Also, I'm really excited to see how this turns out

Thanks. Right now, I slog through this semester and the grad-school application process. After December 15, my life gets much simpler for a while, and I will crank out what I can before the realities of grad school set in next fall (I hope).

Pittsburgh Bulldogs... Hmph.

It probably sounds like a throwaway, but I love the sound of the name, and I've always wanted to do a Bulldogs concept (it was the mascot of both my elementary school and middle school). Bulldogs and Wildcats are the two names I've always wondered why they weren't in professional sports (and yes, I have a Wildcats in this league, too).

Also, I don't know if you have one for Kansas City, but I have come up with possibly the most brilliant name ever, the Kansas City "Spouts" a culmination of the old hockey team the Scouts, and the fact that KC is the city of fountains. Just needed to get that idea out there.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going with the Kansas City Express, after the Pony Express--I'm kind of shocked that I couldn't find a team that had used that name.

rATMcmK.png

Well, guess what, now I'm stumped on Los Angeles. I had first thought of the Lights but I couldn't come up with a sketch that would work for football. Right now I'm sitting on Grizzlies, but I'd like something a bit more original and more inspired. Don't want to do Stars.

rATMcmK.png

Archived