NAVO - North American Velo Organization

JMurr

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friday, February 1, 1884 - Today came the official announcement that next season a fifth team will join the league. The team will be owned by P.T. Barnum, who has had business dealings with William Kissam Vanderbilt in the past. Barnum has placed the team in his home state of Connecticut. He found a home for them at Colt Armory in Hartford. The facility is the production plant of Colt weapons but one of the main warehouses will now be occupied by the home velo track for this new team. Mr. Barnum has signed a six year lease for the velodrome to occupy this space. The official name of the team will be the Hartford Stags. The name follows this logic. Hartford, Connecticut is named after Hertford, Hertfordshire, England. Hertford in Old English means the ford (water crossing) frequented by harts (stags).

This is the official presentation of the Hartford Stags who will begin play in the 1885 or 3rd Season.

HartfordStags_zps8edbdf0f.png

7fe6a713-a81f-4ac9-b995-837498cd0466_zps

1884 - Season 2 - Week 6

2-16-BrooklynDutchmenNewOrleansBuccaneer

2-16-ManhattanJockeysRhodeIslandQuakers_

Standings following Week 6 (Top two teams will appear in the Title Match)

New Orleans Buccaneers - 6&0 (6 Points)

Manhattan Jockeys - 3&3 (3 Points)

Rhode Island Quakers - 2&4 (2 Points)

Brooklyn Dutchmen - 1&5 (1 Point)

Monday, February 25, 1884 – The league releases the off season schedule.

Tuesday, March 4 – New Orleans Buccaneers cut day

Wednesday, March 5 – Manhattan Jockeys cut day

Thursday, March 6 – Rhode Island Quakers cut day

Friday, March 7 – Brooklyn Dutchmen cut day

Saturday, March 8 – Sunday, March 16 – Coach signing week

Monday, March 17 – Hartford Stags signing day

Tuesday, March 18 – Brooklyn Dutchmen signing day

Wednesday, March 19 – Rhode Island signing day

Thursday, March 20 – Manhattan Jockeys signing day

Friday, March 21 – New Orleans Buccaneers signing day

Friday, March 28 – rookie introductions

Furthermore the league released the logos for Race Wars 3 and Title Match 3.

3_zps04ce19f5.png

3_zps16b49381.png

Tuesday, March 4, 1884 – Cut day for the New Orleans Buccaneers. The Montagu’s will return as the owners of the club that just won the championship. They also are bringing back head coach David Small but he will cost them $2000 more this year. When it came to free agents the Buccaneers had Cleanup Ferdinand Manet and Option 1 Robert Burke to negotiate with. The team was willing to let Burke go and to bring Manet back but at the right cost. Manet was making $5,000 a year and the Buccaneers offered him only $3,000 a year to come back. Manet was willing to take the deal but the team had to keep him in a starting position. Both sides agreed and Manet re-signed with the Buccaneers.

Slow way down. Perfect a single concept before moving on to the next one. There are issues with all of these.

This is the 1880s, I'm making my own fantasy league, the NCL, and I pay almost no attention to if I like the logos. Now, eventually I will, but logos in that time were just ways of telling who's who, not a type of branding. These are actually really good for that time.

(PS, those of you who see this who are following the NCL, sorry I haven't posted lately, I've had two school projects due tomorrow. I've finished them so I'll be able to maintain it more now.)

qjmf8gfss7kivgth30eo3f19b_zps05455a47.giiko8i2w57la790evvqfhvre2f_zpsf00d15d5.gicdxd8xpogngx4cr7dnlwdghfp_zpsc521828f.gi89551301999_zpsdc887eb0.gif?t=1392410149

Slow way down. Perfect a single concept before moving on to the next one. There are issues with all of these.

This is the 1880s, I'm making my own fantasy league, the NCL, and I pay almost no attention to if I like the logos. Now, eventually I will, but logos in that time were just ways of telling who's who, not a type of branding. These are actually really good for that time.

(PS, those of you who see this who are following the NCL, sorry I haven't posted lately, I've had two school projects due tomorrow. I've finished them so I'll be able to maintain it more now.)

Mark that onto the "Why My Looks Bad" list. It joins:

-I only have paint

-I was in a hurry

-I'm only 11 years old

and newly inducted:

-The logo was made 100 years ago

:P Just screwin' around. I think that your series here JMurr is pretty darn good, as is FH's. Go with Whittier, make it a good logo for the period, but keep it up at the same time. Progressing nicely!

Mark that onto the "Why My Looks Bad" list. It joins:

-I only have paint

-I was in a hurry

-I'm only 11 years old

and newly inducted:

-The logo was made 100 years ago

:P Just screwin' around. I think that your series here JMurr is pretty darn good, as is FH's. Go with Whittier, make it a good logo for the period, but keep it up at the same time. Progressing nicely!

• I use Photoshop
  • True, in a hurry
  • I'm 15
  • That's 125 years ago

qjmf8gfss7kivgth30eo3f19b_zps05455a47.giiko8i2w57la790evvqfhvre2f_zpsf00d15d5.gicdxd8xpogngx4cr7dnlwdghfp_zpsc521828f.gi89551301999_zpsdc887eb0.gif?t=1392410149

Wednesday, March 5, 1884 – Cut day for the Manhattan Jockeys. William Kissam Vanderbilt returns without a doubt as owner. He wanted to bring Head Coach Caspar Alva back also but Alva had other offers. The Jockeys offered more money but it looks like Alva is going to become the first Head Coach of the upstart Hartford Stags. Either way what is now a fact is that he will not be returning next season as the Head Coach of the Jockeys. Without Alva all negotiating with free agents was up to William Kissam Vanderbilt. The two free agents up for re-negotiation were Middle Arthur Koch and Second Option Robert Ferry. Vanderbilt quickly determined that he could likely find someone better then Ferry so he informed Ferry with hast that he would not be returning to the team. Negotiations continued with Koch. Koch was re-signed to the team for the same rate he was paid on his previous contract however he was moved from the Middle position to the Cleanup position. Last year’s Cleanup man Frederick Harris, who was a rookie, was moved from that position to Middle.

Thursday, March 6, 1884 – Cut day for the Rhode Island Quakers. Owner Alva Vanderbilt will return as the owner. Before she made any announcements regarding offseason negotiations she had to first inform everyone that the opening of the new stadium in Newport, Rhode Island has been delayed for a year so the team will once again play a year in Messer Street Grounds.

As for contract negotiations; Head Coach John Vanderbilt was brought back for another year at the same rate he made last season. The team’s two free agents were Cleanup Roderick Havelock and First Option James Moriondo. The team wanted to re-sign both but in order to do so they would need to find a trade partner to trade another player too. They explored the option of trading Second Option Karl Blaine to the Brooklyn Dutchmen. Brooklyn however had no players they were willing to trade for Blaine that had a matching contract, therefore a trade could not be arranged and the Quakers were forced to release one of their free agents. They released James Moriondo to free agency and re-signed Roderick Havelock to a new three year contract at the same pay rate as he had made before.

Many players positions were shuffled on their roster. Angelo Koller was moved from Third Option to Middle. Jules Ford was moved from Middle to Cleanup. Roderick Havelock was moved from Cleanup to First Option. Karl Blaine was moved from Second Option to Third Option.

Friday, March 7, 1884 – Cut day for the Brooklyn Dutchmen. Yes owner Leonard Jerome is holding onto the team for another year and yes he has brought Head Coach John Root back for another as well. Jerome wanted to cut both free agents in an effort to increase the amount of riders invited to Race Wars and thus increase his odds of getting a strong pick; a strategy they deployed last year. The problem with running it this year is that one of the free agents up this year was Middle Carlo Diaz, the most beloved rider on the team. Jerome agreed to bring Diaz back but he wanted to cut his rate by $1,000 a year. Diaz was willing to walk, knowing he would be the most coveted free agent on the open market this year, for that rate. Coach Root pushed Jerome to keep Diaz, a position that Diaz eventually leveraged to turn a $1,000 pay decrease into a $1,000 increase per year. The teams other free agent Second Option Vernon Black was released by the team.

Coach Signing Week

Monday, March 10, 1884 – The Hartford Stags made the first move during the week when they signed former Manhattan Jockeys head coach Caspar Alva as their own. The signing came with a significant pay increase for Alva.

Wednesday, March 12, 1884 – After a look at the two assistants coaches in the league the Manhattan Jockeys signed former Rhode Island Quaker Stewart Cavendish as their head coach.

Archived